autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on wet dry vac?

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a wet dry vac and I am trying to figure out what I should buy. I'm not trying to spend too much, I'm just a weekend warrior and sometimes do friends cars (not for free of course). Currently I'm debating between :

RIDGID 16 Gal. Wet/Dry Vac with Blower-WD1680 at The Home Depot

Shop Shop-Vac 16-Gallon 6.5-Peak HP Shop Vacuum at Lowes.com

I also thought of the LGM, but realized I think I could just put some elbow grease in with folex, a scrubber and just wet vac the carpet clean. I was also thinking of using it to dry my car...as a Metro Vac is very expensive lol.

Which one would you guys/gal choose? Or if you have any other opinions let me know. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on wet dry vac?

Well i would pick Shop-Vac 16-Gallon 6.5-Peak HP Shop Vacuum from lowes because while the one in home depot is cheaper you are going to come out to the same price as the one from lowes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input! Anyone else care to give their opinion? I also heard "Shop-Vac" has gone down in quality over the years...

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I shall also add the Powr-Flite PF51 to the mix. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 rigid wet/dry vacs and LOVE THEM! Super powerful and reliable... I know this is not supposed to happen, but they've been rained on numberous times (open trailer) and no faults with them! One is about 5 years old and another is about a year old and no complaints whatsoever.
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Post Thanks / Like

I worked at a Chrysler Dealership detailing cars for 20 yrs and we used Shop Vac and Craftsman. The Shop Vac didn't seem to last as long as the Craftsman so we mainly purchased 5 gallon Craftsman wet/dry vacs. The Craftsman always held up to the abuse of being used 6 days a week. -- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote and did a video review on an amazing wet vac a few years ago and I still recommend it just as highly as I did then. I believe Sears is carrying them in the US now.

PF51-Wet-Dry-Vac-Review
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35123

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Rigid 6.5hp 16 gallon vac. Works really well for what its design for. I dont have the one with the blower though. I use my Metro Master Blaster to dry cars. I'm going to pick up the 4 gal 5hp vac also since its easier to transport.

I know the larger gallon vacs are meant for industrial use but it annoys me that all the attachments are large. They are not meant for cars. I ended up getting 2 hoses for extended length and buying all new attachments that are smaller in size for detailing interiors.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the rigid
    it has two uses and lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like

@AjNavo61490 - Lol. Good to know. Have you ever done wet vaccums.. perhaps using Folex and some agitation to lift stains out of carpets or seats?

@Real Riders - I actually have a Craftsman W/D vacuum, but it might be the 3HP peak one...total pos. lol. I know that Craftsman, Ridgid and Cobalt...possibly other companies utilize some similar parts at the factory... I'm trying to stray away from Craftsman, I have not had the best of luck with them. But, thank for option/opinion though!

richy - That's funny, you are the reason why I added the 51 to my list. I actually stumbled up your two reviews on Youtube as well as your post on AG. I'm really contemplating on purchasing the Powr-flite, but how well does it blow dry a car? I really want a AIO type of purchase. I was first considering getting a Ridgid and a Little Green Machine, but after reading throughout AG and Autopia... I might be better off with a Wet/Dry vac.

@04Golf - THat's one thing that bugs me as well. I really want that is compatible with auto detailing. I was considering on purchasing the "Premium Car Detail Kit" that ridgid sells at Home Depot. Which would tack on another 40. Putting it close to the Powr-Flite price.... Have you ever blow dried the car with the ridgid? If so, how was it?

epikls - I'm leaning towards the Ridgid... I wish I can see someone do a semi-deep clean on a stained carpet with the Ridgid though. I would like it to have better Extraction than the Little Green Monster, So I wouldn't have to worry if I run into a nasty carpet stain.

Thanks all! Keep 'em coming

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast