autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

question about fresh clear coat and re-clearing

I didn't know where to post this,, but i am hoping someone knows.

So i did some colour matching on my sisters rear acura fender.. and it came out great.. matched amazing,.

So i went to do the clear I was working on it.. and the stupid can started spitting and now there are runs and it doesn't look good.

So Can i just re-sand the area and reclear it? or do i have to wait to sand the Fresh clear?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: question about fresh clear coat and re-clearing

Best time is when it's wet. Use masking tape and pull he run off the clear and reshoot it. Most of the time you can get away with it.

Now you have to sand out the run scuff the clear and reshoot. This is why a spray gun is better than rattle cans for clear. Put down a tack coat then wet coats with flash time inbetween.

BTW what color is the car?
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

it is like a desert silver acura rsx matelic colour, the blend went better than i expected, but the clear fudged me.

what is a tack coat?

I will probalby have to sand it out tomorrow and redo it.. what do you recommend? grit 400-600? dry or wet?

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of clear are you using? If you aren't using a 2K clear, such as SprayMax, it's going to yellow over time. Now's the time to do it right if you aren't already.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by op1001 View Post
    it is like a desert silver acura rsx matelic colour, the blend went better than i expected, but the clear fudged me.

what is a tack coat?

I will probalby have to sand it out tomorrow and redo it.. what do you recommend? grit 400-600? dry or wet?
    Tack coat is a light coat of paint or clear that gets tacky very quickly. That way when you spray wet it will not run.

Metallics are tough to blend but silver is the most forgiving. As suggested you must use a 2K clear outherwise it will yellow within a year and look bad. For me spraying clear is the most difficult to do it right. I don;t paint much anymore and getting all the settings and technique matched up to avoid orange peel is a challenge. Yea I know you can always sand and buff it smooth.

I'd go with 400 grit paper and dry sanding is easier but makes a bigger mess IMO. Nothing wrong with wet sanding though. Remove the defects first then scuff the clear for a reshoot. If you used 1K clear the best solution is sand into the color and reshoot both base and CC.

I was researching 3M tape yesterday and they have a blend tape that looks really interesting. Designed so you don't have to back tape to avoid hard lines in your paint when blending. Stuff looks pretty trick but I've never used it. You might want to research it.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph