autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I've read conflicting reports on this...

Do clay bars leave behind marring that needs to be correct or not? I've seen most say no, but then I see a good number of people say the opposite.

Reason I ask is I just bought a new truck and I was going to clay it, but if I'm going to have to polish it after of rather not deal with it until I actually need to polish out some swirls or RIDS.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ok, I've read conflicting reports on this...

Yes. But this a qualified answer.

When I use the aggressive red clay I always have to correct the finish afterwards.

With the ultra fine poly clays I generally don't see much if any marring of the surface finish.

But if the finish is dirty enough to require claying it will also require correction.

I don't have an answer regarding the new types of contamination removers, the cloths and discs. Someone that has used those will have to answer.

Post Thanks / Like

*Sometimes*

Anytime you touch your car you risk marring or scratching the surface - regardless of what you are touching it with.

Fine and/or Ultra-Fine clay is relatively low risk at leaving behind any major marring when used properly with adequate lubrication. The risk, however low, is still present.

Either way - if you've purchased a brand new vehicle and it was prepped by the dealership, I would assume it could use some polishing. If you've purchased a used vehicle, I would be almost certain it needed to be corrected. Give it a thorough wash with a shampoo that is strong enough to remove any existing products like wax or glaze that may have been applied to the paint before you purchased it (some people use dawn dish soap for this). This will reveal the true condition of the paint and expose any surface defects that may have been temporarily hidden.

In any event, a light polishing with something like Menzerna SF4500 and a finishing pad is a relatively quick and easy process that will add a bit of extra "pop" to your paint - even if it is mostly defect free already.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

With ultra light to light clays it is very unlikely if you use enough lube. Remember- "nothing great is ever achieved without lubrication"

With stuff like Optimum sponges, even the light will cause a bit of marring but with light clays you should be fine.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavisBladeWorks View Post
    Do clay bars leave behind marring that needs to be correct or not? I've seen most say no, but then I see a good number of people say the opposite.

Reason I ask is I just bought a new truck and I was going to clay it, but if I'm going to have to polish it after of rather not deal with it until I actually need to polish out some swirls or RIDS.

Thanks in advance!
    Brand new vehicles usually have embedded contaminates of some sort or the other.

Unless it's been performed at the dealership...
    They will benefit from a decontamination session.

Dealerships use various decontamination systems.
    Your decon-system/session may vary from their procedures.

Yours, IMO, should include a decon-product like IronX; claying (per: "baggie test");
    and, even though you state there are no swirls or RIDS: A very mild polish application.

You'll be surprised at the additional gloss your truck will then have.
    Top it with your choice of an LSP for protection and extra pop!!.

NOTE (More to your question):
    Whenever I clay...There will always be a polishing-session that follows.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The truck is new and wasn't prepped by the dealership. I washed it using the 2 bucket method with 4 grit guards. I can say with confidence the paint is flawless as far as swirls and RIDS.

The paint fails the baggie test because it has little pieces of over spray on it. I can see them, and pick some of them off. The stuff I can't pick off needs clawing, but like I said if it's going to marr the paint I'd rather hold off. Thanks for the info guys!

Post Thanks / Like

The truck is new and wasn't prepped by the dealership. I washed it using the 2 bucket method with 4 grit guards. I can say with confidence the paint is flawless as far as swirls and RIDS.

The paint fails the baggie test because it has little pieces of over spray on it. I can see them, and pick some of them off. The stuff I can't pick off needs clawing, but like I said if it's going to marr the paint I'd rather hold off. Thanks for the info guys!
    The longer you let the contaminates/overspray remain on/in the paint...
    The harder the: Removal-of-these-contaminates-process...will become.
    Talk about worrying about marring when that time comes!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I've read conflicting reports on this...

Whatever you do, don't claw at it.

I've been using the Chemical Guy's Clay Block v2 (clay substitute) with ONR 1:16 and I'm pretty confident in saying it doesn't mar if used with enough ONR on a clean car. If the paint is super soft, even a towel could mar, so you have to keep that in mind. Some paints mar so easily, its hard to make a blanket statement.

When using "clay", if you go slow and always make sure the area is lubricated its usually fine. Just don't use aggressive clay first. I don't think I would use the Nano Skin DA thing either if I was concerned about marring, as that is always putting 5lbs of pressure (weight of polisher) down while spinning.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    With ultra light to light clays it is very unlikely if you use enough lube. Remember- "nothing great is ever achieved without lubrication"

With stuff like Optimum sponges, even the light will cause a bit of marring but with light clays you should be fine.
    hahahaha GIGITY

Post Thanks / Like

anything rubbed directly to paint "can" or "could" cause marring. Generally speaking under a light you will likely see some marring after claying, although some might have also been there prior to claying.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast