autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for AIO

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    AIO will leave hazing on a clear headlight? ### where do you guys get that from??? If anything the aio will make the headlight look better, not worse. Haze or no haze an aio is fine on headlights. Besides, most aio contain almost no abrasives, and if there are any, they do barely anything, it's mostly chemical cleaners.
    I think what they are saying is an abrasive AIO will wear that UV protection down quicker and shorten the life of the material protecting the headlight.

I found that after I polished a cloudy headlight for the first time, from that point forward it clouded faster. My dad polished a perfectly good headlight on my daughter's car, simply because he did the other one which was hazy and thought it was a good idea, and now it too clouds up all the time. It never did before. Once you compromize that UV coating, it seems to go down hill fast.

I'd also keep the Klasse AIO away from black plastic surfaces like those around the base of mirrors. The cleaning chemicals makes them start looking like they are oxidized. I've only realized that was a problem after reading here...and I've used the product for almost a decade. I just thought it was bad plastic that oxidized fast. I'm a slow learner...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys, great info. I'm thinking of trying the d151 due to the quantity vs price. If or works well then it should be a great deal.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat D151
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Frog, I can send you a sample of the D151 if you want, just PM me where you want it sent and I'll ship it out tomorrow

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think what they are saying is an abrasive AIO will wear that UV protection down quicker and shorten the life of the material protecting the headlight.

I found that after I polished a cloudy headlight for the first time, from that point forward it clouded faster. My dad polished a perfectly good headlight on my daughter's car, simply because he did the other one which was hazy and thought it was a good idea, and now it too clouds up all the time. It never did before. Once you compromize that UV coating, it seems to go down hill fast.

I'd also keep the Klasse AIO away from black plastic surfaces like those around the base of mirrors. The cleaning chemicals makes them start looking like they are oxidized. I've only realized that was a problem after reading here...and I've used the product for almost a decade. I just thought it was bad plastic that oxidized fast. I'm a slow learner...
    I realize this is an old thread, but.... does Klasse AIO actually make some black trim look bad, like it's oxidized? I haven't had problems with it in the past, but I will be applying it to two new vehicles soon, so maybe I should keep it off the trim? After running across this post, I've searched for other threads that mention similar negative things about Klasse AIO on trim, but I couldn't find any...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bedop63 View Post
    I realize this is an old thread, but.... does Klasse AIO actually make some black trim look bad, like it's oxidized? I haven't had problems with it in the past, but I will be applying it to two new vehicles soon, so maybe I should keep it off the trim? After running across this post, I've searched for other threads that mention similar negative things about Klasse AIO on trim, but I couldn't find any...
    I would keep the Klasse off the trim and use either McKee's trim restorer, or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant. (WETS)

Also, just as a friendly tip...... Their are WAY better options out there today. Klasse was a pretty groundbreaking product and nothing wrong with using it, but the industry has literally "exploded" with products that (IMO) blow it away.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AIO's typically carry such a light abrasive load that on headlight lenses I see them more as a "cleaner" than a "polisher". If lenses are in good condition, don't scrub or work it into the plastic. But wipe some on and wipe it off. They'll be left somewhat protected and the light abrasive will "deep clean" the surface, removing any microscopic bonded contaminants, while not affecting the built in UV coating (which is very hard). This, to me, is preventative maintenance and I think it actually serves to prolong the life of the built in UV coating. You're not abraiding the surface, you're cleaning it.

I often use Meguiars PlastX the same way on near new lenses. I see it as more of a cleaner than an "abraider" (I made up that word). By cleaning off grime/build up, I think you're doing the lenses a favor if your goal is to preserve them for as long as possible.

Some might argue, but it's worked well for me over the years. I've had 10 year old lenses still look like new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12