autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Trouble Shooting BMW M-Coupe Wheel Defects

Hi guys,

I was tending to a client's vehicles this week (he has a personal collection), and during the initial prep stages I of course noticed some very apparent spotting on his wheels. I asked him about it, and he said they have been there since shortly after he purchased the car new (custom order direct from BMW) in 2002. His vehicles are all nearly mint condition, this one for example only has a few thousand miles on it, and it's 12 years old.

Anyway, although I thoroughly cleansed his wheels, since the spotting was still very obvious after my usual steps (APC and Sonax Full Effect) - I wanted to make SURE my next step(s) were precise and calculated. I wouldn't want to deal with the ramifications of harming a collectable BMW M-Coupe of which there are only six EVER MADE by BMW in this configuration!!

So... with the image I'm attaching, what would your prognosis be, and furthermore, what process should I use to either totally remove or even marginally improve this spotting defect?

Acid based spray (wheel brightener), wheel polish with a high speed drill and a foam attachment (cone, buffing ball), perhaps something else I'm not considering... OR... is this perhaps a permanent defect caused by environmental fallout or driving habits and allowing brake dust to bake on for years on end?

THANKS! I return to the client's home tomorrow (Friday August 13th), to begin work on a couple MORE BMWs, so let's hope my luck won't be UNlucky on FRIDAY THE 13TH!

PS: The original image was high-definition from one of my Canon cameras, but after uploading it was severely scaled down, so I hope the resolution is alright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trouble Shooting BMW M-Coupe Wheel Defects-resized-jpg  
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is strange. It's almost like a splatter of some sort that stained the paint over time. I like the high-speed drill idea with a cleaner wax or a fine compound so the surface doesn't scratch. (Obviously you know that!)

Be sure to post results!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble Shooting BMW M-Coupe Wheel Defects

Hmm..it's like i've seen something like that before and couldn't get it out either. What about using a clay bar?
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

This has happened to the front right wheel of my wife's BMW. It is exactly the same thing. Now I haven't tried to fix the issue yet. I just wanted to bring this up and say your not alone. My wife's car is a 2011 328i.

Anyways I would try a light polish first as the wheels are clear coated.

Post Thanks / Like

The wheels on my Audi are exactly like that. I haven't tried anything yet as far as claying or polishing but will try to see what results I can get.

FYI, I've seen this on a few BMW's I've worked on. In for your plan of attack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdeepauto View Post
    That is strange. It's almost like a splatter of some sort that stained the paint over time. I like the high-speed drill idea with a cleaner wax or a fine compound so the surface doesn't scratch. (Obviously you know that!)

Be sure to post results!
    Thanks a lot - I think the cleaner wax is a great idea, I think I'll combine this with a clay bar idea from GenesisCoupe below

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    Hmm..it's like i've seen something like that before and couldn't get it out either. What about using a clay bar?
    Thanks a lot - I think this is a great idea, I mentioned just above I'll combine a clay bar with a cleaner wax tomorrow and a foam attachment on my Makita

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    This has happened to the front right wheel of my wife's BMW. It is exactly the same thing. Now I haven't tried to fix the issue yet. I just wanted to bring this up and say your not alone. My wife's car is a 2011 328i.

Anyways I would try a light polish first as the wheels are clear coated.
    Sounds awesome, I'll try a cleaner wax and maybe some of my Menz polish if that doesn't work. The nice thing is the client realizes it was preexisting for years, and doesn't expect me to work wizardry on something that may not be fixable.

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    The wheels on my Audi are exactly like that. I haven't tried anything yet as far as claying or polishing but will try to see what results I can get.

FYI, I've seen this on a few BMW's I've worked on. In for your plan of attack.
    I can't believe such finely engineered vehicles have had this issue plaguing them... ugh! Haha, I'll definitely report back with my process and new images this weekend as soon as I'm able

THANKS GUYS
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the rareness of this particular M-coupe? Is it that seafoam color or something?

As far as the spots go, wonder if there was a contaminent in the wheel finishing process and it reared it head down the road?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    What's the rareness of this particular M-coupe? Is it that seafoam color or something?

As far as the spots go, wonder if there was a contaminent in the wheel finishing process and it reared it head down the road?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    It was one of only 6 ever made with a special white color - I'm sure it has a very fancy name, haha, but the owner shared so much with me about it and his other BMWs etc, I forget. He was very adamant about the 1-of-6 though

I think you might be dead-on regarding the wheel... if it was something from the factory that might be the only way to explain how this coupe with so few miles and driven in only flawless rainless days, would have such severe spotting. Perhaps the clear coat was faulty, and allowed the brake dust to penetrate or discolor?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd defiantly polish those.
    Looks like it's embedded in the Clear Coat, so treat it like a paint defect.
    M105 should do it, but start with a polish first like M205 and the like.
    This really should be that hard to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen Brake clean leave that same kind of defect. I agree with everyone else that said to polish it out. But I would start with a cleaner wax, I like Prima Wheel Armour it has great cleaning ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast