autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use Mother's Power Ball or Power Cone on factory clear coated wheels?

I read on another forum where a Mother's representative recommended the Power Ball and Power Cone (not talking about Power Ball 4 Paint, it's too big) on factory clear coated wheels but went on to say its not recommended on body paint because its a little too abrasive. I find that comment a little contradicting. I'm about to Opti-Coat my Cayenne wheels in about an hour. The vehicle is only a few months old and the wheels paint is glossy but I'm looking for ultimate gloss and was planning to use it with Menzerna SF4500. Anyone polish factory wheels with the Mother's Power Ball with good success?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone use Mother's Power Ball or Power Cone on factory clear coated wheels?

Let me know how it goes. I'm wanting to buy something like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it will work. I've used them numerous times for deep cleaning the wheels. Be sure to clay first. I also like using klasse aio. The chemicals are great at getting and remaining embedded dirt out.

I'm sure any Polish will work great too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone use Mother's Power Ball or Power Cone on factory clear coated wheels?

I don't see anything contradicting in saying the red foam of the PowerBall and PowerCone is more aggressive than the softer yellow foam of the PowerBall 4Paint, and therefore not suggested for use with a drill on paint.

You can certainly use the Red PowerBall or PowerCone on clear coated rims with an appropriate polish. We suggest a plastic polish, although others here have used other types of product.

Remeber to clean it well after use, and let it fully dry before putting it back in its container.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Powerball, the Powerball-Mini, and the Powerball-Cone on all types of wheels,
    including ones that were CC'd, with excellent results.
    Wheel "type" determines which polishes I use with these foam-buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    I read on another forum where a Mother's representative recommended the Power Ball and Power Cone
    (not talking about Power Ball 4 Paint, it's too big) on factory clear coated wheels but went on to say
    its not recommended on body paint because its a little too abrasive. I find that comment a little contradicting.
    I construe this as probably just a subliminal message...a warning to the Joe/Jane Lunch Bucket-Consumers
    that using these various Powerballs, with a drill motor, is akin to using a rotary polisher with foam pads.

Take care.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    I don't see anything contradicting in saying the red foam of the PowerBall and PowerCone is more aggressive than the softer yellow foam of the PowerBall 4Paint, and therefore not suggested for use with a drill on paint.

You can certainly use the Red PowerBall or PowerCone on clear coated rims with an appropriate polish. We suggest a plastic polish, although others here have used other types of product.

Remeber to clean it well after use, and let it fully dry before putting it back in its container.
    The thing that's confusing is, don't most factory paints use acrylics. And isn't it the same for body and wheels? So why is it suitable for wheels but not paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I've used the Powerball, the Powerball-Mini, and the Powerball-Cone on all types of wheels,
    including ones that were CC'd, with excellent results.
    Wheel "type" determines which polishes I use with these foam-buffs.

I construe this as probably just a subliminal message...a warning to the Joe/Jane Lunch Bucket-Consumers
    that using these various Powerballs, with a drill motor, is akin to using a rotary polisher with foam pads.

Take care.

Bob
    Upon my scientific comparision between the Power Cone and all three Lake Country Hydro Tech pads, rthe Power Cone seems to be a little softer and less course than even the finest Hydro Tech. I'll test a small spot and see if it works. Thanks for your insight.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    The thing that's confusing is, don't most factory paints use acrylics. And isn't it the same for body and wheels? So why is it suitable for wheels but not paint?
    Wheel clear is not the same as body paint clear. The red PowerBall foam is more aggressive than the yellow PowerBall 4Paint foam, so we don't recommend using the red foam on body paint.

If you'd like more clarification, speaking is easier than typing, at least for me. Call our tech support folks 800 221-8257 and ask for Jimmy D. He can explain far better than I can type from my phone sitting in an airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried buffing my factory clear coated wheels before I sold them with the powerball mini and an assortment of polishes and compounds and to me it did an awful job. Even with a ton of pressure and m105 it wouldn't remove any defects. Also the ball wanted to walk around on every little curve. You would be better off polishing by hand. My powerball mini is collecting dust. I was in your same situation a year ago and I found it to be a waste of money.

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    ...Also the ball wanted to walk around on every little curve.
    In my experience the ball "walking" around while polishing is indicative of too much drill speed. 150 rpm or so is plenty. Too much speed is not a good thing.

I'd try a different polish and less pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast