autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Member yankees2452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Porter cable kit

    I plan on getting the PC 7424 xp and ccs pad kit. It allows you to chose 5 6.5 inch pads. I plan on getting 2 orange pads, a white pad and 2 gray pads. It also comes with 2 free 5.5 inch red pads. Do the above pad choices look like the right way to go? I plan on just using the pc for paint correction as I would usually wax by hand. Also if anyone has suggestions for a polish or swirl remover, my car has the soft BMW jet black paint with moderate swirls.
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

  2. #2
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Porter cable kit

    Assuming the vehicle in your avatar picture is yours, I would suggest 5.5" pads over the 6.5" pads. I would also recommend picking up a smaller backing plate and some 3" and/or 4" pads for those tight areas like pillars, bumpers, and around the rear badges.

    I would get a couple of light cutting pads, a couple polishing pads, a couple finishing pads, and a couple fine finishing pads.

    As far as your soft jet black paint... let me tell you to be patient, as you may not see perfect results at first. That paint can be somewhat finicky.

    Since it seems you are going to have only foam pads at your disposal, I would recommend a compound like Menzerna FG400 (if needed) for heavier defect removal and a polish like Sonax Perfect Finish for finish polishing and light/moderate defect removal.

    -Zach

    Retired Professional Detailer

  3. #3
    Member yankees2452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Assuming the vehicle in your avatar picture is yours, I would suggest 5.5" pads over the 6.5" pads. I would also recommend picking up a smaller backing plate and some 3" and/or 4" pads for those tight areas like pillars, bumpers, and around the rear badges.

    I would get a couple of light cutting pads, a couple polishing pads, a couple finishing pads, and a couple fine finishing pads.

    As far as your soft jet black paint... let me tell you to be patient, as you may not see perfect results at first. That paint can be somewhat finicky.

    Since it seems you are going to have only foam pads at your disposal, I would recommend a compound like Menzerna FG400 (if needed) for heavier defect removal and a polish like Sonax Perfect Finish for finish polishing and light/moderate defect removal.

    -Zach
    Is the fine finishing pad the blue finessing pad or is it something different?
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

  4. #4
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Porter cable kit

    Quote Originally Posted by yankees2452 View Post
    Is the fine finishing pad the blue finessing pad or is it something different?
    Yes, the blue pad.

    Retired Professional Detailer

  5. #5
    Member yankees2452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thank you
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Porter cable kit

    I agree with zmcgovern45. The PC is a good basic polisher that should give you many years of use. However I am not sure why so many kits come with 6.5" pads. I feel the PC has trouble with having enough power when using 6.5" pads. The 5.5" pads will work much better and are cheaper to buy. I use 5.5" pads on my GG6 and am very happy with them. 6.5" pads are good when working on a very large vehicle like a Ford Expedition but on a smaller vehicle like a BMW 3 series they are to big. The nice thing about a PC is, with the right back plate they work great on 4" pads as well. If you really want to use 6.5" I would recommend getting a GG6. This is a good time to get either since AG is having a no exclusion sale. This will save you 15% and free shipping on orders over $125

  7. #7
    Member yankees2452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would fg400 and sonax be good for these defects or is there something else that would work Porter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887361-187842-jpgbetterPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887011-806642-jpgPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887071-015126-jpgPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887307-607618-jpg
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

  8. #8
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Porter cable kit

    Quote Originally Posted by yankees2452 View Post
    Would fg400 and sonax be good for these defects or is there something else that would work Porter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887361-187842-jpgbetterPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887011-806642-jpgPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887071-015126-jpgPorter cable kit-imageuploadedbyagonline1377887307-607618-jpg
    FG400 and Sonax Perfect Finish can handle basically anything. It is hard to tell how severe those defects are since they are clearly cell phone pics and the sun is very overpowering in most of them. You might even even get away with just using SPF, but once again it is hard to tell.

    Do your proper test spots and get a process dialed in.

    Retired Professional Detailer

  9. #9
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    3,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Porter cable kit

    For reference, here is a jet black M3 that I did with FG400 and FF4500, but had SPF been an option to me at the time I probably would have used that for the 2nd step. (also, this car is in much worse shape than yours appears to be)

    What a great way to kick of the 2013 detailing season! Trashed e46 M3!

    Retired Professional Detailer

  10. #10
    Member yankees2452's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all your help. I think I will end up ordering those two products and start of with the sonax first on my test spot to see how it starts to come out and if I need something more aggressive I will then use the fg400. Thank you again.
    2009 BMW 328xi Coupe- Jet Black

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please Help!! (Porter Cable XP)
    By DARK HORSE in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
  2. which porter cable kit should i buy?
    By swizz977 in forum Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
  3. Porter Cable Help
    By kovalchuk71 in forum Auto Detailing Tools and Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
  4. Porter Cable Kit which one?
    By hondajake in forum Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 09:35 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» January 2020

S M T W T F S
293031 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1