autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How often is too much for waxing.?

Not sure if this has been asked before. Like the rest of us, I like having a gleaming ride. I've wax my Pilot at least 4 times in the past 6 weeks. Just curious. I'm only waxing and not doing any kind of cutting. Or is there a slight cutting being done every time I wax.
    "You want I should wipe the dead bugs off your windshield?"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often is too much for waxing.?

What product are you using for a wax?

If it's truely just a wax, then no, you are not doing any cutting. If it's an all-in-one product then you may be doing some very minor cutting if the all-in-one contains abrasives. If you are applying with a DA using a pad that has some cut, then you wouldbe cutting as well. Unless you have VERY soft paint, then any removal you are doing is minimial, but at the rate you are doing it, it will add up.

If gloss is what you are after, save yourself the trouble and get yourself a spray wax or similar product to apply more frequently to boost your gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once a month is enough. Use a spray wax after every wash and you'll be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Once a month is enough. Use a spray wax after every wash and you'll be good.
    +1

I myself have been cutting back . What I am finding is more hairline scrathes from me and my micro fiber cloths rubbing the paint.
    I am still a novice but from reading post and watching how to videos polish will make ur car shine and wax protects it.

Post Thanks / Like

Won't waxing that often start to create a hazy build up, or is the wax wearing off that fast?

I haven't waxed in years since switching to sealants, but I seem to remember even really soft carnauba's lasting 2~3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using Mothers Brazilian cleaner wax. I'm really am new to all of this. I'm also not really a big internet buyer cause I'm a little paranoid about using my debit/credit card over the internet. I go into an auto parts store and buy my things that way.

Mike Phillips

First... great question...

There's two "general" categories of waxes...

Finishing Waxes - Contains no ingredients intended to "clean" or abrade the surface.

Cleaner/Waxes - Contains either chemical cleaners or mechanical abrasives and sometimes both to clean, polish and protect the paint in one step.

Quote Originally Posted by pipehack View Post

I'm using Mothers Brazilian cleaner wax.

Then each time you use this product you are effectively removing the previously applied layer A LONG WITH any dirt staining, surface contamination and/or impurities off the finish and thus maintaining a clean, clear finish.

If a person were to only use a finishing wax all the time and a lot to a car that is a daily driver and parked outside a lot, then you would seal in the dirt and get a stain over the body panels like you see in this article.

Here's why you need to polish paint...

Note if you click the link above and read my article on this topic down the article a ways the first product I list to prevent and remove dirt staining is by using a cleaner/wax.

You have nothing to worry about Bill...

Post Thanks / Like

I've wax my Pilot at least 4 times in the past 6 weeks. Just curious. I'm only waxing and not doing any kind of cutting. Or is there a slight cutting being done every time I wax.
    I'm using Mothers Brazilian cleaner wax.
    What is your process to ensure clean surfaces prior to each waxing-session...
    Or are you using this cleaner-wax as the surfaces' cleaner?

I, of course, believe it's best to wash/dry a vehicle prior to any claying/polishing/waxing steps being performed.
    But after that has been done...this cleaner-wax will do what it's intended to do:
    Remove above surface contaminates, oxidation...With remove being the definitive word here.
    IMHO...Using a cleaner-wax is more than acceptable, if not conceded, as the optimal of products for this purpose.

At the very least, though, the vehicle will not be exposed to the elements totally unprotected.

OOPS!...
    Went off on a tangent there for a moment.
    I'm only waxing and not doing any kind of cutting. Or is there a slight cutting being done every time I wax.
    ^^^Depends on how technical you want to get...^^^

Disclaimer:
    The following doesn't include any scientifically proven data; or very little empirical data either
    (perhaps an EPTG could serve a purpose here?)...But:

-Anything (and everybody) that "touches the paint" will have a possibility of removing at least
    a few paint molecules/atoms/nano-somethings.

This includes water/rain, atmospheric-air, fingers, MF-towels, wash-mitts/car-shampoo, industrial fall-out,
    compounds/polishes/AIO's (cleaner-waxes/sealants)/waxes/sealants), buffing-pads/applicator-pads, etc.

-Most AIO's/cleaner-waxes are not as aggressive as dedicated compounding/polishing-steps products
    that are used to remove below surface defects.

And...As I previously inferred...
    An electronic paint thickness gauge may serve a purpose here?.

In my guess-timation:
    I doubt that the solvents, or mild abrasives within this Mother's cleaner-wax;
    or the friction generated by its application and removal; won't remove but the teeny-tiniest
    amount of the top-coat paint-film (CC-paint included).

As I alluded to earlier:
    The few molecules removed from performing "cleaner-waxing" will be much less than the molecules removed
    from the paint being exposed to the elements totally unprotected.

Questions:
    Since you're "cleaner-waxing" at this 4X/6-wks pace:
    1. Has any of the protection (provided by the wax portion of the cleaner-wax) had time to wear-off?
    If so: How much? (solely rhetorical )

2. Supposing there is any remaining amount of the previously applied protective-wax (supplied by the cleaner-wax)...
    What happens to it---where does it go---when it is exposed to the subsequent cleaner-wax application? (perhaps not so rhetorical)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Newbie user question:
    If you decide to wax your daily car every month do you recommend to use wax cleaner every other month? In between the finish wax ?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone. wow Mike. That is a huge difference in the tape line. That yellow just looks awesome when it's polished. My pilot is "alabaster silver". It has an excellent metal flake to it. Funny thing with silver( or at least the silver pilots I've seen) is that up close it looks a little blotchy until I step further away from the vehicle. I'm glad I bought a silver one. My first choices were black, gray or silver (in that order) when I went to the stealership to buy this. Living in the Midwest with all the salt and rain we sometimes get the silver appears to remain cleaner looking. I always wash before doing any kind of machine waxing or spray waxing unless it was just done the night before. I did a wipe down with a mf towel this morning. I never drove it yesterday after I machine waxed it. I was blown away with the dirt/dust accumulation on it just sitting overnight and not moving.
    Like I've said in another thread. I only have a 1 car garage set up like a small mechanics/fab shop, so the cars sit outside. Yes, I have a very cool wife that doesn't mind this situation. I don't drink, therefore I'm not hanging out in bars. I hang in the garage. 1 wife and 3 teenage daughters in the household. What would you guys do?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast