autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liquid Wax VS. Paste Wax

Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    I have tons of products but only one paste wax and that's just to play with it.

Do you have any other LSP's besides the one paste wax?
    What are your thoughts regarding other types of LSP's besides waxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    Im not sure on spending all kinds of money on this stuff!

You're at the right place if/when you need detailing-supplies...
    Plenty of sales-events take place at AGO...Save Up!!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    What size pads are you using? I find 3" pads make it much easier to use paste waxes, not only getting it out of the jar but I don't have to change pads mid waxing to switch backing plates and such.
    I'm using a 6" pad, so the only option at this point would be to spread it on with a butter knife/putty knife. However, with so many great waxes and sealants available in liquid form, I'd be hard pressed to go with a paste. Although some Colonite products are tempting....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So are folks saying that Carnauba wax is out, and liquid waxes are in / better?

Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ncee View Post
    So are folks saying that Carnauba wax is out, and liquid waxes are in / better?

Skip

Not better -or- worse... Just different methods to getting to the same goal...

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

It really comes down to personal preference.

Some like the "old school" style of using and applying a paste wax. Some like to use a liquid because it spreads easier for them, or they like to apply with a DA. (You can use a DA with a paste wax as well but not quite as easy.) Also some companies only make one type or another. If you want to use Auto Finesse waxes you will have to use a paste as they don't make a liquid version of their waxes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so what is everyones opinion of what to use when cleaning, waxing a 2012 Toyota Avalon?

I did a clay cleaning, then buffed with Meguirs swirl remover. I'd like to do it all over again, with the 1,2 or 3 steps / products that would work best.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Not better -or- worse... Just different methods to getting to the same goal...
    I'd also add that when talking about actual waxes, they are still carnauba based, they just come in liquid form vs a hard puck in a can.

Some people (myself included) tend to like sealants better because *generally* they are more durable and protect the paint longer. However, I'll be the first to admit that there is something about the shine you get when using a good carnauba that is hard to describe, yet almost impossible to achieve with a sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

I get about 20 applications using NXT liquid because a little goes a very long way and under 20 bucks.
    How much products are you using?LOL

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    Generally speaking, paste is a better value.

The average user (which likely excludes many here), gets 3 applications out of a 16 oz bottle of wax. Assuming it costs $10, that's $3.33 for materials.

With a can of hard cake paste like we offer, though, it's more like 20 applications. Assuming it's $15 for that 11 oz can, that's $0.75 per application.

Also, with the average consumer there's less chance of applying a paste too heavy, like liquids usually are. That saves product and makes removal easier.

I don't see a difference between hand application and removal of liquid versus paste. They both go on, and come off the same, assuming you apply the proper amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Like above, pastes and liquid products are based on the same underlying waxes. Really, the big difference is content. The sort of levels of wax in a liquid spray wax are going to be only a couple of percent, maybe even less. You can go higher but then users start having difficulty with things like application speed and getting it on without caking. The other thing you have to remember is that liquid waxes are all emulsified, water based (this is another tough area in terminology - you guys mean a different thing by 'paste' than most formulators!). Those emulsifiers are actually very similar to the things used in wash products so you can quickly see how their presence might degrade the lifetime of the wax, especially if they are mixed in the wax film.

Another thought for you is why you never see really expensive liquid waxes. You see plenty enough super expensive solid waxes - so why aren't there any equivalent liquid products? (I can't actually answer that without offending someone, but you guys might like to ponder it on your own!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PiPUK View Post
    The other thing you have to remember is that liquid waxes are all emulsified, water based. Those emulsifiers are actually very similar to the things used in wash products so you can quickly see how their presence might degrade the lifetime of the wax, especially if they are mixed in the wax film.
    Wow, there's a really interesting point. Was this different back in the old days when you could make a nice solventy product? Back then was it just more solvent in the liquid wax than the paste?

Now that I think of it, isn't that the story with Collinite 845? That it's just 476S with more solvent and less wax? Or does 845 have to be a water-based emulsion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    I get about 20 applications using NXT liquid because a little goes a very long way and under 20 bucks.
    How much products are you using?LOL
    That's Forrest he's from Mothers.

I think he's saying that the average consumer, not us, will use that much not knowing better or worse. that's all.

I wonder what other cool stats he has. I wonder what product of theirs is the most purchased?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast