autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Critical Details: Lets Talk Steam Cleaners

There are definitely different classifications for steam cleaners: consumer, commercial and Industrial. Each which have their place. For personal use, a consumer grade steam cleaner will work just fine. However I would not recommend a consumer grade steam cleaner to a professional detailer. At times, I have spent well over an hour steam cleaning neglected door jambs with a commercial grade steam cleaner. The McCulloch steam cleaner (consumer model) has a maximum steam time of 45 minutes which means on the maximum setting you may see 20 minutes of steam. If I don’t refill my water reservoir and let the boiler drain, the 300CS provides about an hour of steam on the maximum setting. Continuous fill steam cleaners like the 300CS, do not list the max operation time because you will have an endless supply of steam.

The VX5000 steam cleaner seems to be the tipping point from consumer grade to commercial grade steam cleaners. The VX5000 costs roughly $800, and has a 4 liter boiler compared to the McCulloch which costs roughly $100, and has a 1.5 liter boiler. The VX5000 also offers 65psi of steam while the McCulloch only offers 35psi of steam. What manufacturers do not mention, is that the overall PSI rating, and the pressure will decrease to almost half the max listed PSI after the trigger has been pressed for close to a minute. The VX5000 is a great entry level commercial steam cleaner which is not to say it is inexpensive. A few hundred more dollars and you can pick up a steam cleaner that has more PSI and a continuous fill boiler, which the VX5000 does not have.

For the majority of professional detailers, a commercial grade steam cleaner ranging from $1,000 to $2,500 will be more than adequate. However there are some detailers that require an industrial grade steam cleaner such as an Optima DM. The Optima DM has a 20 liter boiler compared to the average 4 liter boiler found on commercial grade steam cleaners. The Optima DM also boasts an impressive 116psi which is 40psi more than most commercial grade steam cleaners. Detailing businesses that clean heavy equipment or provide exterior steam washes need an industrial grade steam cleaner.

Time is money but money is a definite consideration when it comes to detailing and purchasing a steam cleaner. A commercial grade steam cleaner will save you countless hours of labor and pay for itself over time.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critical Details: Lets Talk Steam Cleaners

Great tips Critical . Love this thread .

Post Thanks / Like

Vapamore MX-1000 (not the 100).
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Great tips Critical . Love this thread .
    Thank you. I hope this article helps anyone in the market for a steam cleaner make an informed purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TundraPower View Post
    Vapamore MX-1000 (not the 100).
    I looked for the Vapamore MX-1000 and could not find such a steam cleaner. Did you mean the Vapamore MR-1000 and if so it looks like a very nice steam cleaner. The MR-1000 has a maximum pressure of 90psi and features a 3 liter boiler. If you can sacrifice a little mobility in exchange for extra power than the MR-1000 looks like a solid investment.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalDetails View Post
    Thank you. I hope this article helps anyone in the market for a steam cleaner make an informed purchase.

I looked for the Vapamore MX-1000 and could not find such a steam cleaner. Did you mean the Vapamore MR-1000 and if so it looks like a very nice steam cleaner. The MR-1000 has a maximum pressure of 90psi and features a 3 liter boiler. If you can sacrifice a little mobility in exchange for extra power than the MR-1000 looks like a solid investment.
    I bet it will .

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid of my steam cleaner. Some day I will get brave. Although I never did master the gas weed whacker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rustytruck View Post
    I'm afraid of my steam cleaner. Some day I will get brave. Although I never did master the gas weed whacker.
    Are you afraid of damaging the surface or getting burned? I still get burned occasionally when I let off the trigger and the condensation drips out of the nozzle.
    Critical Details
    Trevor Spedden

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Dupray Tosca it cost $1k works great. I don't need a continuous fill boiler. But if you have a big shop one would be great I do one car a day. Great info Trevor

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if you use it for that long you are using steam for cleaning the whole interior of the vehicle.

I own a personal steamer, hand held model that has only 1 cup of water storage. I have never timed how long it can be used but from past experience I would say around 30 minutes of non-continious use. So blast clean then off while I use the microfiber towel to dry the surfaces and remove the dirty water.

I am seriously thinking about buying a high end consumer one that will hold more water. I do not plan on using it for everything. What I plan to use it for is: Nooks and crannies, stains, pedals. For the rest, APCs and other products seems a better choice. Steam cleaning takes longer than using cleaners.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast