autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't think duragloss 501 had this much cut

I bought my sonta new, and ran it through the "free car washes for life" the first winter and it did mar the paint alittle. First year i used CG nano wax after stripping the factory wax and it looked pretty good compared to stripped. Most of the micro scratches where filled in.

This year i decided to use the duragloss 501/601 combo because it was a bear to get the nano wax buffed off.
    I used CG water spot remover to clean as prep and applied the 4/1 mix of duragloss by hand using a new microfiber applicator and made 4 passes in the same direction to prevent swirls. Looked great in the garage and outside while cloudy. Did the first wash 2 weeks later with ON no rinse wash n wax (been using wash n shine). Been cloudy last week. It was sunny yesterday and i noticed the whole car has a light hologram effect and i know its from the 501 because its in the same direction as i applied it.

What can i do to fix this since i dont have a buffer? Reapply using a circular motion? I really thought 501 wouldnt have any cut unless you used and aggressive pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Didn't think duragloss 501 had this much cut

Quote Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    I bought my sonta new, and ran it through the "free car washes for life" the first winter and it did mar the paint alittle. First year i used CG nano wax after stripping the factory wax and it looked pretty good compared to stripped. Most of the micro scratches where filled in.

This year i decided to use the duragloss 501/601 combo because it was a bear to get the nano wax buffed off.
    I used CG water spot remover to clean as prep and applied the 4/1 mix of duragloss by hand using a new microfiber applicator and made 4 passes in the same direction to prevent swirls. Looked great in the garage and outside while cloudy. Did the first wash 2 weeks later with ON no rinse wash n wax (been using wash n shine). Been cloudy last week. It was sunny yesterday and i noticed the whole car has a light hologram effect and i know its from the 501 because its in the same direction as i applied it.

What can i do to fix this since i dont have a buffer? Reapply using a circular motion? I really thought 501 wouldnt have any cut unless you used and aggressive pad.
    The reason a random orbital buffer is such an effective tool is that it eliminates any hand polishing marks due to its rotation. My strong recommendation to you is to buy a RO polisher. You will wonder how you ever lived without one. There are tons of deals on used ones on ebay too. Do your homework and one will cost you very little.
    If you must do by hand, I would suggest something light like Megs 205 or what used to be Menz 106ff (don't know the # now). Use 501/501 after that with light pressure and it should do a bang-up job for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest hitting Ebay for a used Griot's Garage 6" RO and get yourself some of their 6" orange foam pads along with some red ones to start. Like Richy said, you'll wonder how you lived w/o one, trust me its very easy to use and more importantly VERY safe to use.

Richy knows of what he speaks for sure too!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all the used ones are gen 1 which I hear are bad. The 3rd gen ones for sale are allmost the cost of new with shipping. Guess ill use my $20 off $125 from autogeek and just get a newone

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a polisher (Griots is fine) and maybe a fine polish. Everyone is correct, working by hands with any products containing abrasives is just hit or miss. I've never really been as to do it successfully no matter how hard I try.

You likely can fix the "holograms" with the Duragloss products on a polishing pad. But, you may want to invest in some decent polishes just in case you need something more aggressive.

For not too much money, you can get small bottle of Optimum polishes. They work very well. I would get Polish II at the very least and a few polishing and finishing pads.

Keep in mind that if you have smaller areas to buff where a 6" pad won't fit, you will want to get a smaller backing ate and pads. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

501 left micro marring all over my car. I just stick to 111 and 105 both superb products. 501 is for boats to remove dirt algae etc. Why would you use it on a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lkotsios View Post
    501 left micro marring all over my car. I just stick to 111 and 105 both superb products. 501 is for boats to remove dirt algae etc. Why would you use it on a car?
    The answer to that question is how well #501 cleans the paint and as far as micro marring I can't say I've ever noticed this when using #501 by hand OR machine, so not sure what's up with that. There's some here that only use #501 on their rides!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lkotsios View Post
    What pad did you use with DG 501? I've used it with black pads with no effects on paint, stepped up to a white pad and have experienced marring. I wouldn't blame the chemical, I would look at the pad.

OP, what microfiber applicator did you use? I have marred paint with the type Walmart sells but have not with SM Arnold.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to richy and rwright's posts, DG501 has become my go-to cleaner when little or no correction is needed. I use mostly 4" Meg's pads on my GG, yellow if I think the finish needs some aggressive cleaning, black if it doesn't. I've used it so far on BMW, Audi, Honda and GM paint without any ill effects. IMO, this stuff really rocks as a cleaner wax! I think either the brothers at DG mixed in some kind of friction modifier that turns it from turquoise to dirty gray or my old eyes are failing, 'cause it turns up an unbelievable amount of garbage on paints that look clean to the eye.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Richy is the man. I'm glad he introduced me to the Duragloss line. Car wash, Aquawax, 105, 501, and 601 are pretty much all I use though.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast