autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning/protecting windshield wipers

So I want to preface this by saying my car has never seen the rain, at least not yet! The only water she has seen is from the hose or, when she's been really good, distilled water

This evening I decided to pull up the wipers and see if they're clean... They were not. They were filthy! The gunk just poured off into my microfiber rag (not even high enough quality to be called towels). I was thinking about cleaning them with IPA until no more black stuff comes off, then protecting/nurturing the rubber with something.

What is the best process to clean and then protect windshield wipers? Clean with IPA, APC, water? Protect with Opti-Bond, 303, something with silicone, WD40? I've heard so many different things I just wanted to get some clarification. Should I even be concerned that all the black gunk came off? Maybe it's supposed to be there, but I always thought that means it's dirty... Hmm, I guess I need:

Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning/protecting windshield wipers

Change 'em rubber that is soft like that will always degrade. I wipe them a few good times and if they are not gator skinned and still push water, keep ,, if not,, change them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beamerstrumpet View Post
    Change 'em rubber that is soft like that will always degrade. I wipe them a few good times and if they are not gator skinned and still push water, keep ,, if not,, change them.
    I've never used them in the rain. I just sprayed the hose on it today to make sure they worked and they are great! Perfect, clear glass. Just wanting to know how to clean/protect so I don't have to change as often.

Post Thanks / Like

Like any rubber like that, the UV (and maybe even ozone) exposure will oxidize them. There may have been dirt that came off but I'd wager some of it was oxidized rubber.

Clean them with your choice of IPA, APC, window cleaner, car wash, it really doesn't matter. 303 used to make a specific wiper product (a wet sponge that came in a foil packet) but I don't think they make that anymore. Knowing 303 it was just the regular aerospace protectant in a sponge (rather than some special wiper product). So if you have 303 just wipe some of that on, let it soak in, then make sure to wipe off the excess so they aren't greasy.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had good luck just spraying some glass cleaner on a junk MF towel or paper shop towel that won't lint or tear apart and pinching the blade with the towel between my fingers and running it up and down a few times. Never tried any type of dressing or protectant on them though.

Post Thanks / Like

I wipe down with IPA. Spray some silicone on a rag and wipe them down. I'm not looking to protect them just clean them and condition the rubber and make it slippery
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Eraser to clean. CarPro PERL to protect. PERL has obsoleted conventional polymer UV inhibitors for me!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

303 Windshield Wiper Treatment
    Reconditions hardening rubber windshield wiper blades 303 Wiper Treatment Stops Annoying Chattering, Skipping and Streaking!

By reconditioning hardening rubber blades. 303 Wiper Treatment restores lost flexibility and performance. 303 Wiper Treatment Keeps Wiper Blades Working Like New.

~ See Better - Drive Safer with 303 Wiper Treatment ~

Each 303 Wiper Treatment packet contains a sponge applicator. Wipe on, wait a minute and wipe dry. Nothing could be easier. Each packet will treat 2-3 wiper blades. Reapply as necessary, usually every 3-5 weeks.

And In Winter ... SNOW AND ICE WILL NOT STICK TO TREATED BLADES! And wiper blades conditioned with 303 Wiper Treatment will not freeze to the windshield overnight.

A winter must. Each packet treats 2-3 blades.

Box of six packets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    303 Windshield Wiper Treatment
    Reconditions hardening rubber windshield wiper blades 303 Wiper Treatment Stops Annoying Chattering, Skipping and Streaking!
    Where can I find this? Doesn't look like AG sells it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Where can I find this? Doesn't look like AG sells it...
    I don't think they make it anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast