autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Best' glass sealer/water repellent for a novice

I searched and came across various threads regarding this, but most were geared towards professionals. So I wanted to ask what is best/easiest for a novice to use on his windshield, to help repel rain.

Am I best off sticking with Rain X or even something like Green Earth Technologies 1214 G-Clean Hydrophobic Rain Repellent, or should I try a more professional product like Diamondite Shield or Nanoskin Rain Plus Hydrophobic Glass Treatment System or Nanoskin Rain Glass Sealant or GTechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating, etc...?

Again, looking for something as simple as possible, that will yield decent results, and that I don't have to apply week after week (I suppose everyone is looking for this...)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Best' glass sealer/water repellent for a novice

Rain-X, at least the 30-year old bottle I have, is rather difficult to use.

I have a Diamondite product that they don't make any more, called Glass Poli-Shield, that gave equivalent performance but was MUCH easier to use.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the PBMG glass products like the Pinnacle or Diamondite. You also might want to try the Optimum Opti-Glass maintenance product, but it's rather pricey (although it's a concentrate that makes a lot of solution).

Post Thanks / Like

go for BLACKFIRE CRYSTAL SEAL. many people forget its not just for paint! seals glass and plastic too. i can attest, it does great on glass!

BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal Paint Sealant, best paint sealant, paint sealer
    2018 Colorado ZR2

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with Pinnacle's line of glass care products.

Rain, Rain - Go Away!

Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant w/Rain Repellent is a glass sealant on steroids. It provides unsurpassed protection on exterior glass surfaces while creating an immense amount of surface tension that causes water to bead up and roll off. Its formula goes on clear and dries without any unwanted haze.

I've found the Lake Country Gold Finger Pocket to be the perfect applicator for Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant w/Rain Repellent. Four fingers fit snugly and it keeps your fingers from getting any unwanted residue on them.

Its as simple as evenly spreading a thin coat and letting it dry for 10-15 minutes. Once it hazes, buff it off with a microfiber towel.

We have a complete kit too:

Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Dunno Setec, for a detailing novice (which I still am, comparably to most everyone here), Rain X OTC is still pretty good. I've got both the small liquid bottles and the spray versions.

Glass Science Rain Clear is good as well. Depends on what the OP regards as 'novice'...

Of course, my rain x is not 30 years old like yours.. the formula may have shifted a bit..

I'm setting up a Rain X vs Nanoskin test to see if 'boutique' is better than OTC.. Rain X is pretty darn hard to get wrong if you follow the directions on the bottle *shrug*..

I do not have personal experience with coatings on glass, but many here say that glass coatings are the way to go, but maybe not for a 'novice' as the OP asks..

Edit: what Nick said..
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like

There you go, and the Pinnacle products are on sale right now.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem i find with sealing glass is the friction from wipers will remove the treatment over time. I know ppl are sayin no ish sherlock....

Just throwin it out there..

Jetseal 109 works fine, with no crazy glare

Our best buddy..good ole Collinite 845 works great... and we know the sheeting properties are off the charts.

I actually am doing a test right now for this. I know ... i know.....its summer. But i put it on a week ago. [taped the windshield down the middle and applied to drivers side only] I want to test the Heat durability of 845 through the warm summers here and compare it to the paint treatment i did...... ah ha im always testing something < ! >

Personally I dont like rain-x.. because of the damn hard to remove film it leaves.... and dont get me started on the rain x blades..... i had them on a used car I bought......uuhhgh nightmare glare streaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Becciasm View Post
    Dunno Setec, for a detailing novice (which I still am, comparably to most everyone here), Rain X OTC is still pretty good. I've got both the small liquid bottles and the spray versions.

Of course, my rain x is not 30 years old like yours.. the formula may have shifted a bit..
    Maybe mine is only 25 years old

I find the haze can be very difficult to remove. Mine smells like bananas (well, fake bananas, kind of like Meg's 26). I'm pretty sure the solvent is different than it is now.

EDIT: Or maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by beachkidcb View Post
    I personally don't like rain-x.. because of the damn hard to remove film it leaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from the Gtechniq G5. I applied it after using the G4 polish, and while wasn't as difficult to apply as the two-stage G1/G2 hydrophobic coating, I still prefer PPG (now Trico?) Aquapel glass treatment - for application and results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Maybe mine is only 25 years old

I find the haze can be very difficult to remove. Mine smells like bananas (well, fake bananas, kind of like Meg's 26). I'm pretty sure the solvent is different than it is now.

EDIT: Or maybe not...
    A few spritz of water or glass cleaner after the haze for me removes the haze.

*shrug*.. i've never done anything special, just clean the glass well, apply product and remove per bottle instructions...

Rain Clear is a similar formula but is less 'finicky' to apply/remove than Rain X.

But, to each his own.

OP, there are a ton of good products that are 'novice' friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    There you go, and the Pinnacle products are on sale right now.
    ^^^^this.
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast