autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Damage

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Damage

well I had a new set of tires put on my 2006 accord today and Discount Tire and gave it a quick wash and noticed the wheels had a gouge from the tire machine on 3 or the 4 wheels. I've yet to contact the store but from everything I've read they'll likely want to repair them. I'm not keen on wheel repairs and would rather have not have to deal with the repair failing in the future. It's frustrating the guy even mentioned how clean the car was. Is there anyway to fix this on my own? I own just about every detailing tool made. The scratch is caught by the nail, I was hoping to spot repair and sand it, the wheels are clear coated. Any advice is appreciated. Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheel Damage-photo-1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    how new are the wheels ? stock ? I'm gonna say if u did not notice it before u drove away from tire store , you prob a SOL ! u need to do an inspection before u drive away . I had a new set a wheels put on at local garage , did my inspection and noticed where the lug nuts go into , had scratches from the impact gun and socket . I complained - got the manager , got brand new wheels too . they have insurance . but I'm afraid since u drove away already - yes ? u SOL . sorry

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Damage

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    how new are the wheels ? stock ? I'm gonna say if u did not notice it before u drove away from tire store , you prob a SOL ! u need to do an inspection before u drive away . I had a new set a wheels put on at local garage , did my inspection and noticed where the lug nuts go into , had scratches from the impact gun and socket . I complained - got the manager , got brand new wheels too . they have insurance . but I'm afraid since u drove away already - yes ? u SOL . sorry
    Yes they are stock. I made the mistake of not inspecting as they did the work before on the last set of tires and I didn't have any issues. To date, they are the only tire shop that has touched these tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Your in a bad spot. They may offer to "repair" it, but my experience with on the fly repair guys is bad. They can be repaired correctly, but it involves around $900 and removing the wheels from the car and dismounting the tires. I use Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA. They will make your wheels better than new and powder coat.

On the fly guys use regular paint IMO and it's not very durable IMO. Fixing them yourself is a risk, because once you touch them the shop wont offer any solution. Your on your own. The only way to do it correctly is re-finish the whole wheel. Anything else will just be too noticeable for an AutoGeek.

If it was me, I would demand new wheels. I would go back there ASAP. I would also contact their district manager and tell him you won't settle for a repair, unless it's a wheels off powder coat repair from a place you know and trust.

I always take pictures of my 4 wheels before I have tires mounted. I take them in the shop's parking lot where everyone can see me.Then, back up and take a picture of the whole car so it's evident of the location. It's a shame you have to do stuff like that, but the guy who mounted your tires likely makes $9 an hour and doesn't really care about what he is doing - that seems obvious.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Your in a bad spot. They may offer to "repair" it, but my experience with on the fly repair guys is bad. They can be repaired correctly, but it involves around $900 and removing the wheels from the car and dismounting the tires. I use Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA. They will make your wheels better than new and powder coat.

On the fly guys use regular paint IMO and it's not very durable IMO. Fixing them yourself is a risk, because once you touch them the shop wont offer any solution. Your on your own. The only way to do it correctly is re-finish the whole wheel. Anything else will just be too noticeable for an AutoGeek.

If it was me, I would demand new wheels. I would go back there ASAP. I would also contact their district manager and tell him you won't settle for a repair, unless it's a wheels off powder coat repair from a place you know and trust.

I always take pictures of my 4 wheels before I have tires mounted. I take them in the shop's parking lot where everyone can see me.Then, back up and take a picture of the whole car so it's evident of the location. It's a shame you have to do stuff like that, but the guy who mounted your tires likely makes $9 an hour and doesn't really care about what he is doing - that seems obvious.
    Yeah lesson learned I guess. I'm really concerned about the repair process. I've looked in this area before (central IL) and there doesn't appear to be any shops that have a very good reputation for this type of work. I'm going to follow up with store and see where it goes. I'll be pushing for new OEM rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    new oem wheels ? a lot of them are very expensive . maybe u can check a salvage yard for a set ? u can get a nice set of aftermarkets prob cheaper than stock wheels and look much nicer . IMO . search around

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an update to this thread. I dropped by the store and they owned up to the damage and offered to repair the wheels (which I politely declined) or replace them with reman. I gave the guy a hard time about it and he agreed to order Honda OEM wheels from the dealer. He apologized and rectified the situation so I can't ask for more than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    well that's good news . now are u gonna have the same shop install the new ones again ?

Post Thanks / Like

These can easily be fixed by painting them yourself. The dealer should be able to give you the paint code. Get a spray can mixed at a local paint supplier. Get some clearcoat and you can fix it easy. Sand it, prime it, paint it, clear it, polish. I find if do when tire is mounted, less issues.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Um, Crispy, this thread is from 2.5 years ago. I'm pretty sure he's moved on from this in one way or another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast