autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Tips/Processes for Paint Transfer Removal

The other day I came out to my car to find what appears to be a very light paint transfer swipe and wanted to see what others typically do to remove things like this? I read Mike Phillips
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-transfer.html article and will probably pick some of the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion with the recent discount, but I was hoping to get this stuff off my car prior to that shipment arriving. I am still fairly new to detailing so I don't have a ton of products, so any recommendations for products that may be found at local stores to correct this issue would be appreciated as well.

PS - Please excuse the dirty paint. They are adding onto the parking lot where I work and have been moving dirt all week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tips/Processes for Paint Transfer Removal-20130712_073855-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tips/Processes for Paint Transfer Removal

Clay should do it.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Post Thanks / Like

Dampen a microfiber towel with a little lacquer thinner or nail polish remover (acetone), wipe it a few times and it'll come right off. Wash that area afterward and polish as necessary when your shipment arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I actually tried some Tarminator I had on hand and was able to remove it with a few passes using a MF towel.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why someone would use lacquer thinner or nail polish on something as simple as this lol. for the most part you can get rid of paint transfer super ez with like a pre wax cleaner or something very light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
    Not sure why someone would use lacquer thinner or nail polish on something as simple as this lol. for the most part you can get rid of paint transfer super ez with like a pre wax cleaner or something very light.
    One swipe and it's off, with something that's probably already there in the the garage or in the wife's medicine closet. Both evaporate pretty much instantly too. It's the simplest way go about it for a guy who wants it off now, before his shipment of paint cleanser arrives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Dampen a microfiber towel with a little lacquer thinner or nail polish remover (acetone), wipe it a few times and it'll come right off. Wash that area afterward and polish as necessary when your shipment arrives.
    Hi, so the acetone wont do longterm damage? I ask because 1 time I mentioned nail polish remover and I got attacked by a ravenous pack of wolves, so I was like "ok sorry".
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    Hi, so the acetone wont do longterm damage? I ask because 1 time I mentioned nail polish remover and I got attacked by a ravenous pack of wolves, so I was like "ok sorry".
    It's definitely not the least aggressive product that could be used to remove a light paint transfer but is effective in removing it quickly without doing any real removal of the cured clear. It may leave a smudge of sorts that should be lightly polished afterward.

In my shop and thousands of shops around the world, this is the way things are done. I suspect the pack of wolves at enthusiast forums such as this one would never see it as an acceptable method so at this point I reserve the right to digress, lest I too be torn limb from limb.

Post Thanks / Like

The acetone will work, but why not just use a polishing pad and a mildly aggressive polish? I've never had this not work, just move really slowly and let the pad and polish do the work.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com