autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Linting Problems

My favourite MF towel is recently linting. I love using this particular towel for wiping off QD's / spray waxes because it's big and super plush & soft.

Not sure if it's related, but a few washes ago, I got lazy and washed it together with some other ordinary towels. Now it's shedding those tiny fine fibers that seem to cling to the paint and even more so on glass. I did subsequently wash the towel again with other MF's and dried on low heat, but the problem persists. My other MF towels are fine, but they're not as plush as the particular towel in question.

I tried to capture the fibres in the photo below:

The fibers seem to be stuck there by static and are not easily removed. Another spray of QD and a buff with another MF towel seems to do the trick.

I want to keep using this towel. My question is: Is there any way to remove the lint from this towel, or at least stop it shedding onto my car?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Linting Problems

What towel, and what and how was it washed with?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an SCA towel. It seems to be of very good quality.

It usually gets washed with liquid laundry detergent (no fabric softener), together with my other MFT's and then dried on low heat.

Just the one time I got lazy, I washed it with other terry towels (same procedure as above) and the problem appeared after that.

It's weird that my other MFT's are fine though. I'm starting to think it's because this towel has a longer nap than my other ones.

I'd just like to know if there's any way to stop it linting or is it doomed?
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

It's lint from the terry towels the MF's were washed with. This happened to me not too long ago. Somehow one SINGLE cotton towel got in with my polish/LSP MF's and then they all started linting.

Put the MF's (with only other MF towels) through a couple wash and dry cycles and you should be good to go!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    It's lint from the terry towels the MF's were washed with. This happened to me not too long ago. Somehow one SINGLE cotton towel got in with my polish/LSP MF's and then they all started linting.

Put the MF's (with only other MF towels) through a couple wash and dry cycles and you should be good to go!
    Ding ding ding...I think we have a winner!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me during the winter. Wife grabbed all the various towels, MF stuff and whatever and tossed them all together in to the washer. LINT CITY!

I really couldn't get to upset, she was only trying to help...But it sure did make a mess.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post

Thanks very much Nicholas. I hope you're right and it does go away after a few more wash/dry cycles.

I might even dry them on low or no heat for longer than usual to try and eliminate the lint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Ding ding ding...I think we have a winner!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me during the winter. Wife grabbed all the various towels, MF stuff and whatever and tossed them all together in to the washer. LINT CITY!

I really couldn't get to upset, she was only trying to help...But it sure did make a mess.

Bill

lol I've had to stop the wife doing that several times! Unfortunately this time I can't blame anybody but myself.