autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber Towels (and pads too!): Cleaning and Maintenance

Hello, I had a question about cleaning and Maintaining Microfiber towels (and pads too!!) What should I use to clean them? (Detergent? Nothing/water only?) Should they be machine washed? Machine dried? Air dried? Cold water? Hot Water?

Please enlighten me as I would love to clean my MF towels without degrading its ability to leave a streak free shine! (I heard in the past that chemicals, such as detergent, might keep my MF towel from leaving a streak-free shine after use).

Thank you!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber Towels (and pads too!): Cleaning and Maintenance

Use a dedicated microfiber detergent, dry low to medium heat. You'll be fine. I always suggest Blackfire microfiber cleaner.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So it is okay to machine wash? I usually hand washed them because of the added expense of running the machines for such a small load. (Five to six MF's). Can I use the same process for the pads too?

Post Thanks / Like

I explain my entire process and my results here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k61suqb2SJI]How To Clean Microfiber Towels The Easy Way!!! - YouTube[/video]
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

I use a detergent, but not a lot of it. Warm water on the delicate cycle and dry on low heat with no drier seats.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I hand wash my pads, but then again, I don't do anywhere near the business that some of you do. I have time in between jobs, so it's no big deal to hand wash most of my stuff.

Kappy

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
    I explain my entire process and my results here:

How To Clean Microfiber Towels The Easy Way!!! - YouTube
    What water temperature did you use, and would you be more concerned about dye transfer if the colored towels were new and had only been washed once or twice?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect to Roshan intended but I do take issue with a couple of the statements in his video. IME new towels, especially dark colored ones, can bleed and transfer dyes. It usually stops after the first few washes but be aware that this is a possibility. Also, the reason for not using fabric softeners with microfiber towels and mitts is not related to static. If anything fabric softeners actually will reduce static but fabric softeners work by leaving a coating behind on the fibers which adversely affects absorbancy - not what you want on your microfibers.
    You can use fairly hot water, at least up to 158F/70C, without damaging the fabric and higher temps in the wash cycle may improve cleaning. Too much heat in the drying process, however, is not a good thing. I usually dry my towels on low heat until they are about 80% dry and then let them dry the rest of the way on an air only (no heat) cycle. I don't like hanging them outdoors because they can pick up airborne dust and pollen. Per Roshan the Blackfire Microfiber Cleaner & Restorer works great (thanks, Al!).

Post Thanks / Like

MF towels-
    I wash MF towels in CG MF wash. I would stay away from powdered detergents. During a detail I have Purple Power and water in a 5 gallon buckets 10:1. Just 2 or 3 gallons. When towel is done in the bucket it goes. Just to keep products and stains drying and setting in the towels. When it is time to wash. I wring them out in the washer they go with liquid MF detergent. I use hot water with cold rinse cycle. Then run them one more time through a light cycle with water only. Then in the dryer they go. If you are not using a dedicated washer an dryer run the dryer for 5 minutes then clean the lint catch. Then put your MF in on low to med heat.
    Most important- Never wash or dry MF with cotton or anything else. Separate loads between really filthy and just dirty. I sort and wash. I always wash my wax and sealant towels by themselves. When you first get new towels wash them before first use.
    Pads
    I only use foam and MF pads. MF pads get CG MF wash. Foam gets cleaned with CG pad cleaner(very economical 16:1 dilution ratio.) I use the same set up. 5 gallon bucket with about a gallon of Purple Power 10:1. When a pad is done in the bucket the face of pad down. When I'm done detailing I rinse well under cool water wring excess water out. With Pads I saturate with pad cleaner. Agitate by hand to get it to foam up.I leave to dwell face of pad down. I just use a dish drying rack. Then I rinse well with tap water until all product residue is gone. Wring out then back to the drying rack to air dry facedown. Once they are dry. I hit them with some compressed air before they get packed up.
    Most important- Make sure they a dry before you put them away. If they are not dry they will end up developing mold inside a sealed bag.
    I always dwell and dry face of pad down. Let gravity do it's job and pull the water and any possible residue down through the face of the pad. Clean from the inside out so to speak.
    I have used Sonus De Wunder Wash and Chemcal Guys MF wash. I like both the CG is cheaper but they both do excellent jobs.
    I love the CG pad cleaner cuts 16:1 and it cleans pads like crazy. It took me a while but I realized process was more important then product. Hence this long post and my OCD cleaning process.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone use any sort of brush on the microfibers to get some of the matted fibers fluffy again? or is the microfiber done when it stops feeling as fluffy as it used to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast