autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove scratches '13 Odyssey matte exterior trim

My daughter's 2013 Honda Odyssey has some matte finish trim panels between the windows and over the rear hatch. She allowed the dealer to wash the van on a recent service (arrgghhh....that won't be happening again) and now if you get the sun in just the right position, you can see all the straight scratches across the trim from the car wash brushes.

In most situations you can't really see them so I presume it's minor enough that polishing will fix it but I've never done anything to matte finish plastic before.

Suggestions for a product to use and whether I can get away with hand application (don't have a machine....yet).

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove scratches '13 Odyssey matte exterior trim

Those might be plastic tape that can be replaced. Honda uses a lot of that on the upper door parts. Might look at a parts breakdown and see so you'll have a backup plan.
    Enjoy Today,
    Andy M. Stevens

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they definitely aren't tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Window frame uses black tape. Rear hatch trim is plastic. I'm curious to know the solution also

Post Thanks / Like
    What trim level is it (LX, EX, Touring)? From your description of the trim pieces having a matte finish, it sounds like its an LX, which has unpainted black plastic trim. Higher-end models, such as the Touring, have gloss black painted trim pieces.

This link is to one of many online parts retailers, and it shows the moulding for a 2013 Odyssey LX:

http://www.collegehillshondaparts.co...bumper/molding

Assuming it is an LX, I have a few different solutions:
    1: Buy new trim pieces (you could upgrade to the Touring trim pieces if you wanted)
    2: Paint the trim pieces with matte black paint
    3: Paint the trim pieces gloss black

One thing to keep in mind is that some of these trim pieces might be attached with adhesive, so reinstalling the existing ones could require replacing the tape.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions as well.
    2:
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I should have indicated the model .
    Thanks for the link, Eric! This is an EX-L, but it looks like it takes the same part number as the link you gave to the LX. She's seen the Touring with the gloss black and doesn't care for it and the dark grey matte finish really works better with the van's color.

I'm curious why your options don't include some sort of "repair" on the existing pieces, if they're plastic and not a vinyl/tape material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydi View Post
    Sorry, I should have indicated the model .
    Thanks for the link, Eric! This is an EX-L, but it looks like it takes the same part number as the link you gave to the LX. She's seen the Touring with the gloss black and doesn't care for it and the dark grey matte finish really works better with the van's color.

I'm curious why your options don't include some sort of "repair" on the existing pieces, if they're plastic and not a vinyl/tape material.
    Because almost all of Honda's unpainted matte plastic exterior trim has some sort of light texture to it. Removing scratches is going to involve some sort of abrasion process, and they usually turn out worse. How bad are the scratches? Do you have any pictures?

Are you sure the trim is plastic? Those pieces on most recent Honda's look like plastic, but are usually made out of some form of metal. I don't know how I overlooked that this morning, must have been too early...

If they are indeed metal, then yes, they can be repaired or refinished. If they're plastic, then that's a tough one. I'd personally just replace them, but that's just me.
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, ok, yeah, there is a slight texture (I'm not sure that's the proper word) and I see your point about abrading that down, it's going to look different. I suppose one would have to do all of the panels and in their entirety just to make it be uniform.

I'll try and get some pictures this weekend.

As I said originally, you have to look at the panels in just the right light. When my daughter told me about the scratches I envisioned them to be far worse than they are. In fact, it was a cloudy day when I looked at them and I couldn't even see them! I had to get a flashlight so I could shine it at an angle to see the scratches. But she says they're far worse on sunny days.

You're probably right....the easy fix may be worse than the disease.