autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Kappy

First No Rinse Wash - And Used Garry Dean's Method

Today was the first time I attempted any detailing on my car since I got it a few weeks ago, which was also about the time I joined the forum. After reviewing various recommended options for washing a car, I decided to give the Garry Dean one-bucket-multiple-towels method a chance.

I used the Optimum No Rinse, instead of Garry Dean's Ultimate Detail Juice, and it couldn't have been easier. I was able to wash the car in the garage, with the door open, and barely broke a sweat. This is really the first time I got up close and personal with the car, and the end result is that it looks fantastic, other than dealer inflicted swirls from cleaning the car after sitting on the lot for a year, and a scratch or two that brought me to this forum in the first place.

Some observations:

The Optimum No Rinse smells very good.

Garry Dean must use a thinner towel than the ones I bought for this purpose - The Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber towels from AG - because I had trouble keeping the towel from unfolding while working with it.

The towels I used seemed super-soft, as their name implies, but I can't really tell if I added any scratches because the finish is already in need of some help. I hope not because it seems like a really good towel for something like this, and reasonably priced.

I should have ordered my Murano with the Cherry Picker option so I could reach the top.

It takes much less time to wash the car, than it does to explain to your neighbor what you're doing and why.

I'm not sure what I would do if my tires and wheels were much dirtier than they were. As it is, I cheated a little by rinsing the car this morning before washing, just to ensure that I wouldn't be scratching it with any dirt or dust. If I continue to rinse the car before washing, I might as well do some tire cleaning at the same time. Otherwise, this might be the perfect place for some very inexpensive microfiber towels, which would be used once or twice and probably pitched.

Is there any kind of shelf life for a spray bottle of detailer?I mixed some of the ONR with water so I could spray the car as I washed it, and have about half a bottle of it left.

I honestly think the car looks better than when I got it. Before I took possession the dealer did a little minor repair to the paint in one small area and I can't even tell where that was. On the other hand, now I found a spot that looks like something spilled on the car and left streaks, which I never noticed until today. I tried to take some photos but couldn't get the streaks to show up so I'll try again in different light tomorrow.

I have no idea if there's wax or some other finish on the car. Water appears to bead up, and the car shines like crazy, but I know that doesn't necessarily indicate wax. I plan on claying the car at some point, and trying to correct the paint, and didn't know if I have to be concerned about wax/finish removal as well.

Anyway, even though I'm new to all of this, I would still recommend this method of car washing. In the past, when I didn't go to the car wash, I used to wash my cars with a bucket of soapy water, like a lot of people, and I think the no rinse method was easier and required less clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First No Rinse Wash - And Used Garry Dean's Method

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
    I honestly think the car looks better than when I got it. Before I took possession the dealer did a little minor repair to the paint in one small area and I can't even tell where that was. On the other hand, now I found a spot that looks like something spilled on the car and left streaks, which I never noticed until today. I tried to take some photos but couldn't get the streaks to show up so I'll try again in different light tomorrow.

Your obssesion will only get worse from here. Do yourself a favor and forget everything that you've learned here....

Post Thanks / Like

Walk away now! Before it'$ too late.
    Wax On!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the world of rinseless wash! I've read a lot about the Gary Dean method and it seems pretty cool, well after you buy the initial 10 mf towels that is. I really need to breakdown and try this to see if I will like it compared to using my Aqua sponge, I mean when I'm done with the car I take it in the shower with me and let the water rinse it out good, use some soap on the sponge, let it rinse out, keep ringing it out till all the dirt comes out and let it dry. Doing this has netted me NO SWIRLS on my Honda paint since I got the car back in Sept of 2011, so I have no issues using this method but it would cool to see how the other side lives, LOL!
    Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used a hose in 9 months on both my cars..once you master deans' method and a good rinseless solution, It is a no brainer. Try the Duragloss Rinsless - a bit cheaper and every bit as good...I have given up trying to explain it to doubters...screw em, they never believe it....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything unconventional is always met with resistance and doubt. Thank goodness for those willing to think outside the box. We'd still be riding horses if not for a few folks looking for a better way to move people and products.

It's inevitable that someday soon you will never have to even touch the paint to wash it safely. The doubters will be all over forums like this when it happens but it will happen despite the doubters.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I have not used a hose in 9 months on both my cars..once you master deans' method and a good rinseless solution, It is a no brainer. Try the Duragloss Rinsless - a bit cheaper and every bit as good...I have given up trying to explain it to doubters...screw em, they never believe it....
    Without going to Google, search or FaceTube (as James May called it) using the Gary Dean method would basically be about 10 mf towels in a bucket with 1 oz of rinseless, like DG for instance and 2 gallons of water? Then take one towel out of the bucket, fold it into squares of 4 and then use all 8 sections of the towel and then put aside?

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Without going to Google, search or FaceTube (as James May called it) using the Gary Dean method would basically be about 10 mf towels in a bucket with 1 oz of rinseless, like DG for instance and 2 gallons of water? Then take one towel out of the bucket, fold it into squares of 4 and then use all 8 sections of the towel and then put aside?

More or less, yes.

# of towels depends on size of vehicle - use one 4 ways and then discard to a wash pile... A modified version uses a spray bottle of rinseless solution to presoak the panel prior to wiping with the saturated towel.
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Kappy

His method starts with a gallon of water, and you only pour enough in the bucket to soak the towels. You can use the remaining solution for tire cleaning. He removes one or two towels from the bucket and wrings them out, which are used for drying the panels after washing. There's one final dry towel used for buffing.

Because the towels are different on both sides, I only used the side with the longer nap, and even then probably only used 2 out of each of the 4 sides. There was very little dirt on any of the towels, but I was concerned about the towels being less wet after several passes over the car.

The car is also sprayed with a detail solution prior to wiping with the wet towels.

It probably sounds like more work than it actually was, but I had one bucket to rinse out, some towels to wash, and half a bottle of detail spray left. And one very clean car.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG ha ha we get far too literal, in detailing, in my opinion.

The dean method is simple: - DONT GO BACK TO YOUR RINSE SOLUTION WITH A DIRTY TOWEL.....end of his method (for me)

I just put 8 towels in a rinseless solution and use 1 towel per panel...I don't fold them a certain way or figure out how much I've used one side - I just drag the soft face of the towel across the area I want to wash. Then discard it in a catch bucket. On to the next towel. If it's not hot, I dry at the end, if it is, I dry per panel. Also I wipe the tires and wheels down with the dirty towels and then they all go in the washing machine for next time....
    Glen -

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast