autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kappy

A Few Questions Before Making Another Purchase

I debated whether to post this, and I'm apologizing in advance. You guys must cringe whenever you see another "what to buy" post, and I'll bet there are about a million of them. I know. I've read them all. I'm just in the habit of trying not to spend a lot of money on the wrong things - trial and success vs. trial and error - so I've been searching for some type of consensus on a number of products. Good luck with that.

I started out by buying just what I needed to wash and clay the car, and I'm hoping to do that this weekend. I had intended to wait before getting a DA, pads and polishes, but now after reading at least 5,000 posts on the subject, combined with the current surprise AG sale on buffers, I'm tempted to make a purchase and set everything aside until I'm ready to tackle the job. The madness continues.

One of the first videos I watched was Junkman's series on paint correction. All that's required is a Porter Cable DA, some Hex-Logic pads, M105, M205 and I'm done. Of course a little technique wouldn't be bad either.

Then I watched a number of videos produced by Mike Phillips, featuring a variety of other products that all appear to do a great job. The decision got far more complicated.

There are 3 DAs that seem to be popular, with similar features and prices. I'm now leaning towards the Griot's, along with an LC 5" backing plate, based on the preference of many forum members, as well as the lifetime warranty. I'm not going into the detailing business, and this will just be for personal use.

Pads are still a big question, and I know that everyone has a favorite. There are probably hundreds of threads with pad questions, again, most of which I'll bet I've read. Even though I had initially considered the Hex-Logic pads, for no other reason than Junkman recommended them, I think I've narrowed down my choice to the 5.5" LC flat pads - 3 orange and 3 white. I can order them from AG with other supplies; they get good reviews, and seem to be a good option for someone starting out. The Hydro-Tech, or even some microfiber pads, were others I considered, and I might order a few samples just to try. Anything that I missed, or any reason to stay away from these? It looks like one advantage to the microfiber pads is that they might be easier to clean, or at least that's my initial impression.

I have a black car with very faint dealer-inflicted swirls. My original idea was to use the combination of M105 and M205, on orange and white pads respectively, though at this point I haven't determined if M105 is necessary, which, I know, requires a test. I read some posts about skipping the application of M105, but can you start with M205 and possibly use it on a pad with more cut, like orange, versus white, or should certain pads only be used with certain products? This is about the time I'd like to find an experienced detailer in the Dallas area, who might be willing to share some advice after looking at my car.

In any case, am I on the right track for a starter kit?

Thanks.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Few Questions Before Making Another Purchase

You're on the right track! The Griot's is a very capable DA, I'm ordering one this weekend myself, and your pad choice is a good one as well. You're right about needing to do a test spot on your car to determine the right combination of pad vs product, it's the only way to truly tell. You can use a more aggressive pad with the M205 to get a bit more cut if need be, however if the swirls are as faint as you say they are, I doubt it will be necessary. Any other questions, feel free to ask, I'm sure others will chime in to help as well. Welcome to AG!
    Street/Racing Concepts
    '02 Mercedes SLK32 AMG, '05 Mercedes SL65 AMG, '02 Audi A6 Quattro 4.2- All Silver!

Post Thanks / Like

Defintitely on the right track! The GG6 is a great deal with the current sale, and IMHO the 5" backing plate with LC 5.5" pads are a great combination and a must have.

Of course, this is how I got my start too! You won't regret picking up the GG6!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you've done you research!!!

Yes stick to a test spot. IPA wipe down, dawn, I think chemical guys sells something probably AG too before your test the spot and after IMO then seal

So you don't do your whole car and are not happy with your results (waste your time)

Welcome and buff away!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Man you've done you research!!!

Yes stick to a test spot. IPA wipe down, dawn, I think chemical guys sells something probably AG too before your test the spot and after IMO then seal

So you don't do your whole car and are not happy with your results (waste your time)

Welcome and buff away!
    Art, not sure if you're suggesting an IPA wipedown before a wash with dawn, but no reason to do an IPA before any kind of wash. I think he's on the right track with test spot with 105/205, trying least aggressive first - then the IPA would come into play prior to whatever LSP he's going with.

Regards!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Rob I agree with you. IPA wipe downs are for removing oils and checking results to ensure of full defect removal. IPA are used after polishing and prior to sealants coatings and waxes.

Ron you have a great choice there in the GG6" polisher and good choice in the smaller pads as well. The LC flat pads are great pads and on the cheaper side as well. I have some of the hydro tech pads and the hybrid pads and they both are great. It really comes down to what you want and what you would like to spend.

Nice to see you know about the test spot and the least aggressive method first. One thing I will say is that when it comes to M105 it can dust very bad and cake your pad so make sure your cleaning your pad on the fly often when using 105.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rms64 View Post
    Art, not sure if you're suggesting an IPA wipedown before a wash with dawn, but no reason to do an IPA before any kind of wash. I think he's on the right track with test spot with 105/205, trying least aggressive first - then the IPA would come into play prior to whatever LSP he's going with.

Regards!

Rob
    Yes that is what I meant Rob

Polish out the test spot then IPA wipe down.

To see if he is happy with the results. Then just repeat for entire car.

For test spot:
    Wash
    Polish
    IPA
    Review results
    Then when happy with the results do the polishing part for entire

Of course seal last

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot go wrong with the Griot 6" DA. Get a 5" backing plate from lake country and you're good to go with 5.5" pads. Lake country CCS might be a touch easier to use than the flat pads but its a difference of degree, not kind. M105 has a pretty steep learning curve and is not really beginner friendly. You might have a more enjoyable experience starting with something a bit more forgiving. For a heavy cut Menzerna FG400 works great, or Meg's ultimate compound, chemical guys V34, and many others. There is no one right product, as your post indicates you are aware, so have fun with it and try a few different products to see what works best for what you are trying to achieve.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just get a rupes21

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

Kappy

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Rob I agree with you. IPA wipe downs are for removing oils and checking results to ensure of full defect removal. IPA are used after polishing and prior to sealants coatings and waxes.

Ron you have a great choice there in the GG6" polisher and good choice in the smaller pads as well. The LC flat pads are great pads and on the cheaper side as well. I have some of the hydro tech pads and the hybrid pads and they both are great. It really comes down to what you want and what you would like to spend.

Nice to see you know about the test spot and the least aggressive method first. One thing I will say is that when it comes to M105 it can dust very bad and cake your pad so make sure your cleaning your pad on the fly often when using 105.
    Thanks for the feedback.

If I wanted to do a test with M205 first, would I try it on a white pad, which appears to be a standard combination, or on an orange pad if I wanted to try and remove light swirls?

I'm also trying to figure out how many pads I'd need to do an SUV. If it takes more than a day I'd have a chance to clean the pads overnight and reuse, but otherwise I'm not sure how many pads would be needed, even while trying to clean them between sections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast