autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

SOFT custom black paint: Opti-coat or no?

My car has new custom paint (March, 2013) - wet sanded and buffed so no orange peel. It scratches and swirls by looking at it wrong. Clay bar marred the crap out of it - I gather it is very soft?

I have it all polished out now and resealed - looks great, but I haven't touched it yet with anything. It is garaged and is a fair weather show type car. I refuse to drive it or show it dirty - even dust bothers me, especially with Black. The problem is to keep it clean means to scratch it...

Would Opti-Coat or another product such as HD Nitro Seal provide a coating that can more easily be detailed (wiped down with QD and such regularly) without swirling/scratching it?

Would something such as Opti-Coat be better in this regard than merely keeping the paint top coated with liquid spray wax regularly? I don't mind keeping it up with such spray waxes, but if there is added scratch/swirl protection with Opti-Coat I would be up for using it. This would be my primary goal/purpose. Long lasting protection from elements is the least of my concerns since it is NOT a daily driver. Am I making sense?

I appreciate the thoughts/recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SOFT custom black paint: Opti-coat or no?

This is a good question. I have thought about the same thing. I have a black 67 chevelle that I try and keep perfect. Like you, I can look at it the wrong way and scratch it. I like the look of carnaubas personally so I have just been waxing it and every couple of months a go over it with 85rd and a finishing pad. Sometimes I will use a glaze in between polishing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bump?

Post Thanks / Like

If the paint is that soft the. I would go with either opti coat or c quartz. Both are great coatings. The only thing is that waxing will be lost but with soft paint I would go the coating route.

Now coatings are not scratch proof the are just more scratch resistant that a clear coat so keep that in mind
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
    My car has new custom paint (March, 2013) - wet sanded and buffed so no orange peel. It scratches and swirls by looking at it wrong. Clay bar marred the crap out of it - I gather it is very soft?

I have it all polished out now and resealed - looks great, but I haven't touched it yet with anything. It is garaged and is a fair weather show type car. I refuse to drive it or show it dirty - even dust bothers me, especially with Black. The problem is to keep it clean means to scratch it...

Would Opti-Coat or another product such as HD Nitro Seal provide a coating that can more easily be detailed (wiped down with QD and such regularly) without swirling/scratching it?

Would something such as Opti-Coat be better in this regard than merely keeping the paint top coated with liquid spray wax regularly? I don't mind keeping it up with such spray waxes, but if there is added scratch/swirl protection with Opti-Coat I would be up for using it. This would be my primary goal/purpose. Long lasting protection from elements is the least of my concerns since it is NOT a daily driver. Am I making sense?

I appreciate the thoughts/recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The clear layer of paint, with a solid color under it makes it easy for our eyes to see defects on the surface easy.

Clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive, that means that even though they are harder than single stage paints they still scratch very easily.

Black isn't a color, it's a full time job"

I owned a black SUV one time and I would never do that again. I would own a "cool" car in black, but not a daily driver and certainly not an SUV

No coating I've tested resisted scratching either so pick your poison, wax, paint sealant or coating. Finding a good spray wax and then using it often should get you and keep you at the 98% to 99% flawless category.

6/4/12
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!