autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How important is the IPA wipedown???

Well I've got my first detail coming on my car (black 2010 Escalade) this week. I'm just wondering how important the IPA wipe down was. This was my order.

Wash with Dawn

Iron X

Clay

Flex 3401 - LC orange pad - BF SRC compound

LC white pad - BF GE polish

By hand or LC red pad - BF Black Ice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How important is the IPA wipedown???

Think of it this way if you didn't wipe down and clean off your polishing oil then your sealant/wax will stick to the oil instead of your paint. So imagine how long that'll last before you'll have to re-seal/wax again.
    •Kevin
    UC - M205 - SF4500 - BFWD - BFMS

Post Thanks / Like

I guess if I was going to do all that you are going to do, why wouldn`t you do a IPA wipedown. It takes little time to be sure you have a clean base to work from. What strength would you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this exact question yesterday after I clayed my mustang. Mothers reccomends its instant detailer as a lubricant, which I used and wiped off thoroughly. I don't have any alcohol on me but I guess I could pick some up at Walgreens the next go around as a precaution for next time.

I think it's more of a "why not" scenario. In the end, peace of mind has no price tag.

I plan to correct the paint within the next few months and I clayed and waxed due to some body shop stuff along with wax failure but I'll certainly be doing an IPA wipe down after my corrections are made.

What sort of alcohol do most buy? Does it get diluted or is pure alcohol okay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well IPA should be diluted between 15-30%. I always buy 99% IPA and dilute it. I can't find it, but Mike Philips wrote an awesome thread on how to dilute IPA. Really it is as easy as measuring out the weight of ipa to water on a scale and mixing.

I dont use ipa as a wipe down, I use eraser instead. The slight surfactant (qd spray) adds a light lube to avoid the grabby feeling IPA gives.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read about the Car Pro Eraser. Is that ready to go straight out the bottle? This is just my first time and I'd hate to put an Ipa together (I know absolutely nothing about IPA's) and mess something up, ha ha. Yeah I'm pretty nervous. I'll be using my new Flex 3401 for the first time as well (first time using a DA, I've always done it by hand) so my anxiety level is pretty high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andr any chance you can post that link

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO IPA wipedown is a waste of time (regular LSPs) and a chance to induce towel marks on dark paints. While the whole "polishing oil" theory sounds convincing, it doesn't pan out in real life to me.

Also if your going to be using BF GEP, its a paint cleaner and will clean your paint of any "oils" left behind from previous compounds or abrasive polishes. GEP leaves behind a glaze and your paint ready for LSP, why would you want to wipe that off?.

All those products are made by Blackfire and are meant to work together synergistically. If you check the directions, I don't think you will see "IPA wipedown" listed as a recommended step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venom93corba View Post
    any chance you can post that link
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-results.html

FWIW...
    For your particular scenario...I'd only use the IPA wipe-down on the "test spot".

And pray tell:
    Why are you going to use Dawn to wash this vehicle?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why Bob, that kind of seemed like the consensus. Just trying to get all the previous stuff off. Will the Iron X do that for me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast