autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country Hydro Pads Separating

I saw that back in 2010 they were having some problems with the pads. I'll admit I'm still new at this but I've had two Cyan pads (one 6.5 and one 5.5) fail on me. The glue holding the loop/hook seems to be failing and separating from the pad. Hasn't happened on the others. Not sure what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country Hydro Pads Separating

Try buff and shine pads. They are much better made and work just as good or better than lake country pads. I've never had any problems with buff and shine pads, but have had lots of problems with lake country pads.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an 3" x 1.25" Orange and a 3" x 1.25" Cyan fail on me this week.

Was using on a PC 7424 on speed 6.

They frankly just got away from me on an edge and blew apart from the velcro backing.

Next time I am moving up to a 4" CCS and turning speed down to a more manageable 4-5

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting I think the dense foam of the cyan pad can attribute to delamination.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post
    Interesting I think the dense foam of the cyan pad can attribute to delamination.
    Then why does the tangerine pads do the same thing? Lower speeds will solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

the reson for the delamination of the pads is heat ,to much product and lack of proper cleaning.

I haven't tried B&S and probably will not........but I will say if you treat any pad the same they will fail.

heat is the biggest problem with ANY pad. I have destroyed many pads on purpose to find their limitations.

Most folks are so gunho to correct thier paint that they destoy a pad or too and then its the pads fault......but instead of slowing down and realize what the real problem is ....technique.

Guys its simple change your technique and your pads will last a hellava lot longer....

just my .02
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    the reson for the delamination of the pads is heat ,to much product and lack of proper cleaning

This will lead to your pad failing. I have seen it happen. Remember that cleaning your pad often and changing pads is key. Remember to even clean your pad on the fly to keep product build up and spent product build up down on the face of the pad.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine did not fail due to heat or too much product.

The adhesive did not let loose, as it does typically when the pad overheats and I had only primed and added product once.

The foam actually tore off of the velcro pad.

Ordering 4" and plan on backing off on the speed.

Post Thanks / Like

the reson for the delamination of the pads is heat ,to much product and lack of proper cleaning.

I haven't tried B&S and probably will not........but I will say if you treat any pad the same they will fail.

heat is the biggest problem with ANY pad. I have destroyed many pads on purpose to find their limitations.

Most folks are so gunho to correct thier paint that they destoy a pad or too and then its the pads fault......but instead of slowing down and realize what the real problem is ....technique.

Guys its simple change your technique and your pads will last a hellava lot longer....

just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post

This will lead to your pad failing. I have seen it happen. Remember that cleaning your pad often and changing pads is key. Remember to even clean your pad on the fly to keep product build up and spent product build up down on the face of the pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Mine did not fail due to heat or too much product.

The adhesive did not let loose, as it does typically when the pad overheats and I had only primed and added product once.

The foam actually tore off of the velcro pad.

Ordering 4" and plan on backing off on the speed.

I'll keep those things in mind. It's just odd that I'm using the same technique on the other pads and the Cyan is the only ones I'm having a problem with.

Post Thanks / Like

just my .02
    you are definitely correct

i polished a car about 2 weeks ago with lake country pink cutting pad and at that moment i was doing megs colorX

i finished almost half of the car with the same pad and cleaned it after every panel with a brush

but until i moved to the front bumper i didnt clean it
    it was saturated with product
    so once i started the PCXP and moved down to the bottom of the bumper the Velcro started to strip away from the pad ... and that was definitely my fault

but i have already used that pad for a very long time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast