autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coated leather care

I am working on a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LXI. The seats appear to be coated. I purchased lexol leather cleaner and conditioner, I cannot tell if the conditioner has done anything this is why I think he seats are coated. I read somewhere coated seats will not take in the conditioner.
    Instead of conditioner I need to get a protectant.
    What kind of protectants are available for leather?

Any steps on how to make the leather last would be appreciated. The seats are in good shape right now, but my experience watching other cars leather from these model years the leather will eventually crack and split.

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coated leather care

The seats in my Cadillac are coated. I just picked up some Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner. It is a one step product. It did a great job of cleaning the leather. Since the leather is coated conditioners really don't soak in. They just sit on the top. The Meguiars did not leave any trace of dampness behind. I was pleased at how quick it went and how nice the seats came out.
    http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...erconditioner/

Don

Post Thanks / Like

My go to product is Sonax leather cleaner and conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right that conditioners are of much less use on sealed and coated leather. In practice, the conditioning element can cause more harm than good here because it is not absorbed and thus the only place it goes is onto your clothing because it will just sit on the surface. For the most part, assuming you use an appropriate cleaner, you should not need to worry much beyond that. Reprotecting the leather is going to be more of an issue if you use strongly alkaline and caustic products or those with certain solvents. This is the reason one should not use most standard APCs for this function. I realise well that APC suppliers often state otherwise but the fact is that, yes, most will clean well but they will also degrade the finish (not necessarily visible) and will increase the need for reprotecting. In some regards it is akin to using LSP safe products on paint work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Megane View Post
    You are right that conditioners are of much less use on sealed and coated leather. In practice, the conditioning element can cause more harm than good here because it is not absorbed and thus the only place it goes is onto your clothing because it will just sit on the surface. For the most part, assuming you use an appropriate cleaner, you should not need to worry much beyond that. Reprotecting the leather is going to be more of an issue if you use strongly alkaline and caustic products or those with certain solvents. This is the reason one should not use most standard APCs for this function. I realise well that APC suppliers often state otherwise but the fact is that, yes, most will clean well but they will also degrade the finish (not necessarily visible) and will increase the need for reprotecting. In some regards it is akin to using LSP safe products on paint work.
    So what your saying is leather conditioners useless at all cause all leather now days in new cars is treat leather so its pointless to even by and leather conditioner all? I Think you might want to ask all the companies why they even make it then.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I had to post but this. I use APC on leather without any degrading of leather what so ever. APC is safe on leather without degrading leather as long as it is diluted correctly.

I have seen some instances of what I think your talking about but i'm almost positive that's when you try to make your APC too strong and it leaves run marks which is still not degrading. Can you give an example of what your talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    So what your saying is leather conditioners useless at all cause all leather now days in new cars is treat leather so its pointless to even by and leather conditioner all? I Think you might want to ask all the companies why they even make it then.
    I would not need to ask anyone anything, I am responsible for formulation and manufacture of several such products. What I am saying is that there is more to it than first meets the eye. Some of the manufacturers of leather care products will actually say exactly what you have supposed, I will not go just that far. What I will say is that a lot of products market all manner of things which simply are not correct. You cannot 'feed' any old leather and many coated products are simply 'sealed' - short of stripping the coating, there is no feeding that leather! That is not to say that there is no way of producing leather maintenance products. However the effects are often not as you might expect. If you have an interest in this area, I suggest you read elsewhere but be warned that it is a can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by T3 AutoDetails View Post
    Sorry I had to post but this. I use APC on leather without any degrading of leather what so ever. APC is safe on leather without degrading leather as long as it is diluted correctly.

I have seen some instances of what I think your talking about but i'm almost positive that's when you try to make your APC too strong and it leaves run marks which is still not degrading. Can you give an example of what your talking about?
    The effects will manifest exactly like ageing and this is probably why people do not realise it is occurring. To produce it on a single application would be something I would never wish to show because the leather could well be beyond repair to show so significantly. It would be worth reading up on the effects of alkalinity on fabrics. Notable would be rot - most fabrics are quite pH sensitive and will begin to rot when the pH is incorrect. This is important beyond leather - for instance, anyone cleaning fabric sofas or carpets would always neutralise any alkalinity for fear of damage. Also you should consider the potential for loss of colour fastness - elevated pH is very well known to accelerate colour degradation.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not need to ask anyone anything, I am responsible for formulation and manufacture of several such products. What I am saying is that there is more to it than first meets the eye. Some of the manufacturers of leather care products will actually say exactly what you have supposed, I will not go just that far. What I will say is that a lot of products market all manner of things which simply are not correct. You cannot 'feed' any old leather and many coated products are simply 'sealed' - short of stripping the coating, there is no feeding that leather! That is not to say that there is no way of producing leather maintenance products. However the effects are often not as you might expect. If you have an interest in this area, I suggest you read elsewhere but be warned that it is a can of worms.

The effects will manifest exactly like ageing and this is probably why people do not realise it is occurring. To produce it on a single application would be something I would never wish to show because the leather could well be beyond repair to show so significantly. It would be worth reading up on the effects of alkalinity on fabrics. Notable would be rot - most fabrics are quite pH sensitive and will begin to rot when the pH is incorrect. This is important beyond leather - for instance, anyone cleaning fabric sofas or carpets would always neutralise any alkalinity for fear of damage. Also you should consider the potential for loss of colour fastness - elevated pH is very well known to accelerate colour degradation.
    Well you learn something new everyday. I'm going to check in on this one though and get some more knowledge on the info provided thanks man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T3 AutoDetails View Post
    Well you learn something new everyday. I'm going to check in on this one though and get some more knowledge on the info provided thanks man.
    No bother. It really is a can of worms and there have been public slanging matches on some forums from claimed industry experts. At the end of the day, my view is that there is little point taking any risks, so stick with the mildest product which will do the job - if a product can strip 20 years of dirt in 30 seconds, chances are it is considerably stronger than you a 2 year old vehicle!

Post Thanks / Like

Old detailer tip: On coated leather clean with a Woolite and water mixture.
    6 parts water to 1 Woolite for filthy, 8 to 1 for dirty, 10 to 1 for light cleaning. Use a VINYL product like Aerospace 303 afterwards following the directions. Forget the high dollar leather conditioner/dressings for coated leather.

They sell it because people that don't know any better will buy it, it's called business.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast