autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help! First timer placing order

Advance Auto also has $40 off of a $100 purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venom93corba View Post
    Well after putting an order together it looks like I might be going with:

Porter Cable 7424XP

Black Fire Black Ice Whiplash kit

Car Pro Iron X

Finish Kare 425

LC 5.5 flat pads- 4 orange, 4 white, 4 gray

12 Super Plush Deluxe MF towels

for a grand total of $610
    Looks like a pretty decent list!

Couple additions I would make:
    -5" LC backing plate depending on which polisher you get- Can't use a 6" backing plate with 5.5" pads.
    -I would second going with the GG polisher, but I haven't used a PC - just based on the recommendations here I went with the Harbor freight unit (similar power to the GG polisher) and it worked beautifully. the PC is and has been a dominant player for years though, so if you stay with that I'm sure you'll be more than pleased! My PC sawzall is a very well made machine!

-I would pick up some cheap-o microfibers in a big pack from Costco (if you're a member - but tons of other places sell them too) for getting into all the little nooks and crannies that usually contain tons of dirt- door jambs, trunk jamb, interior plastics etc.

Best of luck! Look forward to seeing the big beast all shined up!

Post Thanks / Like

I started off with $350. The trick is to do your research. You can buy products that have more then one use. Example: I use CG VRP for all my trim including tires. I just cut it with distilled water 50/50 for tires 75% product 25% distilled water for everything else. Yes it's a pain to break out the emulsifier and really mix it but I have one product that does tires, interior and exterior vinyl, wheel wells and rubber. Say good bye to your tire shine. The great thing about the VRP is you can control the level of gloss. The more you buff the less gloss you have. Get concentrated products that can be mixed with distilled water while still being effective saving you money on the back end. Pick up detailing spray that can also be used as a clay lube. There another product off your shelf.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Mike Phillips

Hi Venom93corba,

I just read your follow-up PM and then clicked through your posting history to see if you had a thread asking for help on the "public" forum and you do... this one...

Looks like you're on the right track. If you're going to go with the PC or PC "type" of DA Polisher then also get the 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads as these rotate best on these types of tool.

The BlackFire compound and polish work exceedingly well, just check out these results...

2004 Chevy SSR - Extreme Makeover by Blackfire - Modeled by Tasha

Here's my friend Sharif's black 2004 Chevy SSR right after he arrived and we moved the SSR into Autogeek's Show Car Garage...

Here's how it looked when it arrived...

To say the paint was in good shape or bad shape depends upon your point of view...

If you're hoping for a a lot of swirls and scratches to make buffing out the paint a challenge, then the paint is in excellent condition.

If you're inspecting the paint and trying to categorize the condition of the paint in an accurate manner... then it's a swirled out mess!

We like the challenge so we thought the paint looked horrible but in a great kind of way!

The paint literally looked like it was washed with a scotch brite pad...

Feeling the paint with just our clean hands revealed a surface that felt like 80 grit sandpaper so we clayed using Blackfire Poly Clay and Blackfire Clay Lubricant

Some kind of grunge all over the paint. Not surprising, this is Sharif's daily driver so it's exposed to the environment at least 5 days a week.

Beauty Shots...

Click the first link above to see all the pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post

Advance Auto

Has anyone ever walked into any retail auto parts store and asked for good solid how-to information that would normally also include links to more resources, before, after and process pictures and even videos on "how-to" use the products and then received the real-world hands on information they needed?

I looked for their car detailing forum and couldn't find it either?

Just saying there's something to be said about getting good customer service to go along with your purchase. I'm very proud of the help both members and lurkers get on this forum and I also appreciate the business we get from our members and our lurkers.

Mike Phillips

Here's another one...

Video & Pictures: 2012 Black Camaro Convertible - Blackfire Show Car Makeover!

Autogeek's Thursday Night Live Broadcast!

Sneak Peak of what we'll be doing tonight...

Horrible Swirls in a BRAND NEW CAMARO?

Full length Live Broadcast Video

Before ShotsI didn't get a lot or very good camera shots to show the before condition but here's a few....

This shot is just to frame up the below shot which I cropped out of this shot. The thing to remember is the entire finish, both horizontal panels and vertical panels were completely trashed with scratches.

This is the passenger side front corner of the hood...

Dull, hazy, filled with swirls and scratches and the clearcoat was no where near clear.

And this is off a BRAND NEW CAR?
    If you watched the Live Broadcast, you saw me clay most, not all but most of JUST the hood. Keep in mind this Camaro has only 2000 miles on it since purchased new. Look at all the brown crud that came off the hood using Blackfire Detailing Clay.

Where has this car been since rolling out of the assembly plant?
    Anyone want to guess what the brown stuff is?

And here's the beauty shots...

Post Thanks / Like

Well it looks like I'm pretty close to Sharif's paint job on the SSR. I can't wait to get started on this project. Quick question, what do you recommend for a quick wipe down for just dust? Can I just use the BlackFire detailing spray and some micro fibers? Also I think i'm switching to the FLEX instead of the PC.

Thanks again Mike for the replies I really appreciate it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help! First timer placing order-img_0528-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice order man. Glad you liked the Blackfire Blackice, cant wait to see the escalade!
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    My teacher asked the class. "If I gave you $100 dollars what would you do with it?"

A bunch of students started saying they would buy a brand new car, house, pay off their loans...

I raised my hand and said, "I would put gas in the car and a quick dinner"

The teacher said "Good answer"
    Buy a brand new car and house with $100???? What school do you go to?!?!?!?!

Your answer was logical.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2984 View Post
    Buy a brand new car and house with $100???? What school do you go to?!?!?!?!

Your answer was logical.
    I exaggerated, but that's what I felt like the students responses were lol

I go to Mount San Antonio College. The class I am taking has nothing but fresh out of high school students.

I told the teacher, "I wish this class was a requirement back in High School 8 years ago, because I had to learn everything your teaching the hard way"

The class is: Life Management

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow it has even been a full week and I'm up to $1500. Stupid Memorial Day sale.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234