autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Unbelievably excellent Cleaner! (Long Read)

I've been experimenting with a new d-limonene cleaner, Orange Tough 40 by Spartan, for the past couple weeks. This product was referred to me by my brother, Tim, who owns a commercial janitorial company in my town.

Holy Cow! It works well!

I was originally looking for a pretreatment product to spray on the lower valances, to remove tar, bugs, etc, before foaming and washing the car.

What I got was much, much more. I've tried a few other d-limonene "citrus" cleaners, over the past few weeks, but this one outperformed them by far.

Unlike many d-limonene cleaners, this one emulsifies in water, allowing it to be diluted incredibly far without separating.

Orange tough 40 is biodegradable, and the company claims that it is a "safe" alternative to harsh petroleum based solvents, products containing butyl, acids, etc.

It has a low PH: 9 I'm relatively happy with that. I was originally looking for something betweekn 7.5 and 8.5

Considering that I've been using Meg's products: super degreaser, apc and apc +. I think they range from 11 to 13.5! Wow!

Listen, I've sang the praises of super degreaser in the past, but I'm a changed man and I have experienced problems with it and meg's regular apc as well (They tend to want to dull black interior plastic). No problems with APC + and I'll probably keep it around until I'm 100% sure on this new product.

So how well does Orange Tough 40 work? Freaking Awesome!

My first experiment was on my brothers work van, which had thick tar behind the rear wheel wells, on the paint. Mixed 1:1 and still had a slight gel consistency. Clang to the surface well and smelled awesome! The thick tar began melting off onto the ground! One swipe of a rag and it was gone. . .1:1 was a bit much.

I got curious and brave and started trying the product at 10:1 on door jams. Spraying the product on dirtier areas, foaming the jams with my cannon (meg's shampoo plus) and then brushing with my wheel woolies 1" detail brush (love this brush btw, expesive though)
    Pressure wash the jams out and they are left Laser Clean!

Did a little research and from what I read, I felt it would be safe on interiors. Diluted 15:1 and tried on a very dirty Toyota Solara interior with light tan leather and carpet. It was a very strong cleaner at 15:1 could definitely go 20:1. The leather was extremely dirty almost to the point of no return. It's hard to describe how this product works as it's a solvent and much different than a regular caustic apc. You can literally just spray and spread it evenly with your hand (wearing a glove of course) or a soft brush, let dwell and wipe away easily with a microfiber. It "melts" the grime.

Also tried on a newer Kia Optima with those really tightly woven seats, that are hard to clean. They were black and very grimy with what looked like a combo of make up and nasty body grease. Sprayed lightly and evenly at 15:1, scrubbed with a medium bristle upholstery brush, wetting the brush as I went, and extracted with hot water. Laser clean I tell ya! Laser clean! After drying with a couple smalls heaters and the vehicles own heat, there was no residue, water rings, wicking etc.

I'm still experimenting with the dilution ratio for pretreating lower valances. It seems to work incredible well between 2:1 and 10:1 depending on the severity of the tar and grime. I think 1:1 and 2:1 could be reserved for very extreme heavy tar cases.

One more thing. This product smell awesome. It leaves a fresh, clean citrus scent. No need for additional scent sprays.

My mind is still not completely set on this product, but I'm well on my way to being a believer and throwing out all of my other APC's. I'd like to try a few more surfaces and test it more on wheels and engines.

Here's what the company has to say about it:

Orange Tough 40 Informative Bulletin Page 2
    SAFER THAN TOXIC SOLVENTS OR HARSH CAUSTICS:
    Orange Tough 40's d-limonene base replaces harsh caustics and toxic solvents such as
    petroleum distillates, chlorinated solvents, strong acids and butyl. Users like Orange
    Tough 40's organic natural degreasing ability and pleasant deodorizing orange
    fragrance. No highly toxic vapors to breathe. Orange Tough 40 is non-flammable when
    diluted in water. Non-corrosive...safe on most paints, aluminum and other metals...can
    be used on nearly every surface.
    ENVIRONMENTALLY SOUND:
    Formulated with environmental needs in mind, Orange Tough 40 is biodegradable and
    phosphate free.
    DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
    Some individuals may be sensitive to ingredients in this product. Before use,
    read product label and MSD sheet.
    General Cleaning & Degreasing: Dilute Orange Tough 40, 1:10 (12 oz./gal. or 90 ml/l
    of water). Apply with automatic or rotary scrubber, mop, brush, sponge or sprayer. Use
    solvent-resistant trigger sprayer or stainless steel sprayer. When used on floors,
    pick up or rinse thoroughly to remove residue and prevent slipperiness. Flush out
    scrubber with plain water after use.

Hot Dip Tank/Pressure Washer:
    Use up to 60oC/140oF at 1:10 (12 oz./gal. or 90 ml/l

of water) to 1:20 (6 oz./gal. to 45 ml/l of water).

Dilution Oz./Gal.

Areas for Use Ratio water
    General degreasing tasks (vending machines,
    garbage and trash containers, machinery, tools, etc.) 1:10 12 oz.
    Floors* (vinyl tile, quarry tile, ceramic, marble) 1:20 6 oz.
    Concrete floors, driveways and walls 1:10 12 oz.
    Aircraft cleaning 1:20 6 oz.
    Carbon exhaust/Cosmoline/Smoke trails 1:10 12 oz.
    Car underbody and rust proofing 1:10 12 oz.
    Oil well drills and other equipment 1:10 12 oz.
    Hot and cold parts dip 1:10 to 1:20 6 to 12 oz.
    Industrial equipment 1:20 6 oz.
    Crop dusters, sprayers 1:10 12 oz.
    Tractors and other farm implements 1:15 9 oz.

Use of Orange Tough 40 will dull floor seals, finishes and some types of protective

coatings. Do not use to degrease concrete floors prior to application of New Generation

100 Epoxy Resurfacing System.

Orange Tough 40 Informative Bulletin Page 3
    SPECIFICATION DATA:
    Total Active Ingredients - 65-70%
    pH (Concentrate) - 9.0
    Specific Gravity - 0.960 @ 24oC/75oF
    Density - 7.99 lbs./gal. @ 24oC/75oF
    Flash Point (Cleveland Open Cup) - 145oF
    (Tag Closed Cup) - 124oF
    Solvents - d-limonene
    Viscosity - 25 cps
    Stability:
    a. Shelf @ 24oC/75oF - One year min.
    b. Accelerated @ 49oC/120oF - 60 days min.
    c. Freeze/Thaw - Withstands a min. of 1 freeze/thaw cycle.
    Miscibility - Forms emulsion in all proportions of hot and cold water; emulsifies water
    insoluble solvents and oils.
    Rinsability -- Rinses completely with hot or cold water and leaves no film.
    Biodegradable
    Phosphate free
    PACKAGING:
    Orange Tough 40 is packaged in attractively lithographed, lined steel 55-gallon drums
    and 5-gallon pails; and gallons, four per case. Label copy is provided in English and
    Spanish. Secondary labels are also available.
    Be sure to read all Directions, Precautionary and First Aid Statements on product
    labels before use of this or any Spartan product. If questions remain, consult
    your employer or a physician. Material Safety Data Sheets for all Spartan
    products are available from your authorized Spartan distributor or by visiting
    Home - Spartan Chemical Company.
    GUARANTEE:
    Spartan's modern manufacturing and laboratory control insure uniform quality. If
    dissatisfied with performance of product, any unused portion may be returned for credit
    within one year of the date of manufacture.

©SCC 4/09
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unbelievably excellent Cleaner! (Long Read)

After you clean a interior with this cleaner , does the car smell like the inside of a orange?

Post Thanks / Like

A cheaper P21 TAW?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Price?

Post Thanks / Like

This is very interesting. Would you happen to have any photos of your recent experimentation?
    Brandon Gardner
    President
    Superior Auto Detailing, LLC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorAutoLLC View Post
    This is very interesting. Would you happen to have any photos of your recent experimentation?

No photos, I'm taking a week off to get married haha, and I'll be back detailing hard after that. I'll get some photos. Stay posted.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post
    Price?

I believe it comes out to around $30 per gallon. Here's the catch. You have to buy 4 gallons. Not a problem for me, because my brother uses it and we can split the cost.

I tested another d-limonene cleaner by Quik Way that worked well but couldn't be diluted without separating, therefore I didn't like it. It was $50 per gallon.

d limonene products are definitely more expensive than regular apc's.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    A cheaper P21 TAW?

Perhaps, but I wouldn't go spraying all over a Ferrari yet. I'm still definitely in the beginning of the testing phase.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know the ingredients in P21s TAW. I'd be willing to bet they are similar to orange tough 40. Need to get a hold of the msds. I know some guys use p21s taw on interior.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    No photos, I'm taking a week off to get married haha, and I'll be back detailing hard after that. I'll get some photos. Stay posted.
    you can get married any time, but we need the photos pronto

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast