autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Wolfgang product usage

I am new to the forum.

I have ben detailing my 2010 RAV4 (Mica color) for the last two years and this year, plan on doing it properly with claybar, swirl remover and finishing glaze. I use Wolfgang paint sealent and very happy with the end result - even without using the claybar and swirl remover.

I have been using a Simoniz rotary polisher (also have the Simoniz random orbit) with microfibre pads. I would like some advice on the following:

1. Is it possible to use the Wolfgang swirl remover and the Wolfgang Finishing glaze with microfibre pads in conjunction with the Simoniz high speed? I understand I "Should" get the real pads from perhaps Lake country and use a "Real" polisher like the Flex PE14.....but for now, budget is not sufficient to go on the dream toy list!

2. Has anyone had any experience using the Simoniz polisher (it is a 7" high speed polisher) with Lake country pads? I am not sure what thread size is on the Simoniz and is not mentioned in the documentation either and as a result, not sure if I should buy any LC backing plates/pads.

BTW, I love the detailing guides from Mike Phillips..... amazing!!

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Wolfgang product usage

Welcome to AGO! I don't have much advice for you but I can recommend getting pads and backing plate from the same manufacturer when you decide to do so. They need to work together as a team to get the best results. If you already have machines I would give 'em a shot. Just remember a test spot will tell you all you need to know. In my opinion you have some top notch products on hand! I've been using Wolfgang polish and sealant on my Toyota, and have had excellent results! Once again, welcome! Enjoy the reading.

Post Thanks / Like

make sure to clay before polishing! It is not an option, you must!

Welcome to AGO!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Totally my two cents....

Don't take that machine to your car for any type of correction effort. Use it for the glaze, and if you prefer, the sealant. Speed is one thing, torque is another. Wait until your budget allows for a DA machine with pads to match before you dig into working abrasive polishes to level your paint.

Again, my two cents, so filter accordingly.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Porter Cable 7424 with Wolfgang products last fall. I used 6.5" pads and really didnt get the results I was hoping for. I have quickly learned that for swirl/scratch removal I should have used 5.5" pads. I also only used 1 pad per step (3 steps). I am buying more pads so I can have at least 4 or 5 pads per step. Your 7" polisher is going to be too big. If you can invest in a good DA (Porter Cable, Flex, ect) I would highly recommend that!!

Junior Member DETAILED IMPRESSIONS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mpkav View Post
    I bought the Porter Cable 7424 with Wolfgang products last fall. I used 6.5" pads and really didnt get the results I was hoping for. I have quickly learned that for swirl/scratch removal I should have used 5.5" pads. I also only used 1 pad per step (3 steps). I am buying more pads so I can have at least 4 or 5 pads per step. Your 7" polisher is going to be too big. If you can invest in a good DA (Porter Cable, Flex, ect) I would highly recommend that!!

I agree I did my first car yesterday....INVEST IN PADS and keep them clean. Im thinking i will be using at least 3 or 4 per step.
    “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sam2013 View Post

I am new to the forum.
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

You'll find this forum to be both helpfufl and friendly, two of the most important features of a professionally run discussion forum.

1. Is it possible to use the Wolfgang swirl remover and the Wolfgang Finishing glaze with microfiber pads in conjunction with the Simonize high speed?

I understand I "Should" get the real pads from perhaps Lake country and use a "Real" polisher like the Flex PE14.....but for now, budget is not sufficient to go on the dream toy list!
    Yes.

You can use the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with any machine and by hand and get professional results.

I recommend ALWAYS doing a Test Spot anytime you're working on a car that you've never worked on before to dial in your pads, products, tools and technique and make sure you're getting GREAT results in your test spot before going over the entire car.

Producing 100% hologram free of swirl free results using ONLY a rotary buffer takes a little skill and experience and the paint you're buffing on is also a factor, some paints buff really great and some not so much, so sometimes it's not about you and how good you are with a rotary buffer it might be the paint that is the issue.

2. Has anyone had any experience using the Simonize polisher (it is a 7" high speed polisher) with Lake country pads? I am not sure what thread size is on the Simonize and is not mentioned in the documentation either and as a result, not sure if I should buy any LC backing plates/pads.
    Here are two Simonize polishers, the first one is a Rotary Buffer the second one is an Orbital Buffer or Orbital Polisher, we call them "Wax Spreaders" because they are not effective at actually removing swirls on modern clear coats finishes. (They worked pretty good in the old days to remove oxidation off single stage paints).

Simonize Rotary Buffer

Simonize Orbital Polisher

You need to get some foam buffing pads for the rotary buffer, you don't want to use it with "bonnets" over a pad. This is some old school way of buffing from the old days that didn't even work good back then.

Take the backing plate off your buffer and it should look like this 5/8" spindle on a Makita rotary buffer, this is the "standard" or universal size for domestic rotary buffers and all the backing plates and pads we sell on Autogeek.net will fit this size spindle.

It's possible you could use the rotary buffer to remove the swirls and then come back with the orbital buffer to remove any holograms left by the rotary buffer and then you could seal the paint.

Testing is how you would find out...

BTW, I love the detailing guides from Mike Phillips..... amazing!!

Thank you for the kind words...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Question on Wolfgang product usage

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your responses. They are indeed extremely useful. I will try my best to get the Flex PE14. LC pads and put time into it as it is a great hobby for me. Love to see a well detailed vehicle as it gives a lot of satisfaction on what has been achieved and a true appreciation of the effort that went into it.

Thank you Mike for your feedback - It is greatly appreciated. Wish you had some training programs a bit closer than Florida (I am in Ottawa, Canada) - but do travel to places like Chicago, NY, NJ during the summer.

I will post pictures of my RAV4 in June (Hopefully after I get the stuff all setup).

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Sam2013. Auto Geek has 15% off and free shipping over $95 today (4-19) only. I just bought a bunch of pads and WG products!! Can't wait to see some pics!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I have placed the order for my wish list (Flex PE14, Wolfgang TSR and Sealing Glaze (I already have the Sealant), Wolfgang poly Clay and the clay lubricant, Lake Country 6.5 CCS pads since the Flex apparently comes with a 6" backing plate (Orange, White and Blue pads) and waiting for the stuff to be delivered. Will use the Aquapel from the Toyota dealer and some "Amazing roll off" to clean the tires and Zaino Z16 tire gloss.

I do have a few questions for the group (since it is the first time I am using such a polisher with the TSR).

1. When using the Orange pad, say I pick one door panel to start, should I keep going till the pad appears to be dry in that section (I am assuming it will be wet as I put it on) and then put a bit more for the next section and so on....?

2. When I am done with the door panel, will it be (or should it be) "Hazy" or lack the shine after wiping off with a Microfiber towel?

3. If so, will the "shine" return after the application of the sealing glaze? Is that the expected behavior?

I would like to know what the surface will (or the expected behavior) be after the application of the TSR so I don't panic thinking "What did I do!!!" if there is a haze.

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Sam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast