autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Some detailing questions

Alright, somewhat new to detailing, however, I've waxed lots of cars in the past, and all done by hand. Now I'm looking at detailing my car, and this time I'm trying to get more equipped with a Porter Cable polisher and the required stuff. I've got some swirls that I'd like to remove on my car and parents car, so looking at getting the Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" with some pads and everything needed.

Here's my list of stuff that I have:
    1002 Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
    1006 Collinite Liquid Sapphire Auto Wax #SS126 (16oz)
    5404 CarPro IronX (32oz)
    5444 CarPro TRIX Tar and Iron Remover
    Chemical Guys Black on BLACK SPRAY DRESSING
    Riccardo Blue Detailing Clay + Lubricant

Here's what I'm looking to buy to complete my kit:
    Porter Cable 7424XP with 5" backing plate
    Orange polishing pad
    White polishing pad
    Black polishing pad
    Blue polishing pad
    Meguiars #105
    Meguiars #205

I've heard good things about the Meguiars, so I'll probably be sticking to that, but what I want to know is; should I be using a sealant after the polish and before the Collinite 845 wax? If so, which sealant?

I'll be doing these mostly on my car, which is white, but may do it on darker color cars, so need something that is good on all colors.

Thanks,
    JP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some detailing questions

I've read here on the forums that the Collinite 845 wax may be a sealant, if it is, can anyone suggest a good wax?

I just want to make sure that I have all bases covered before I start my job, so looking at getting polish, sealant then wax, which ones?

Thanks,
    JP

Post Thanks / Like

I would personally suggest ditching the M105 and going with the D300 and MF cutting pads.

M105 can be a PITA to work with, D300 on the other hand is fantastic.

I would also recommend getting 2-3 of each of the pads you had previously mentioned, as you will want to switch them out for a clean one while you are working every now and then.

Sealant is not required if you are waxing, but if you are going to do both then you will apply sealant before the wax.

845 is a very durable wax, so you would be fine simply using that, however there is nothing wrong with adding the extra protection of a sealant... there are tons of great ones to choose from. If you like Meguiar's check out M21 synthetic sealant.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I would personally suggest ditching the M105 and going with the D300 and MF cutting pads.

M105 can be a PITA to work with, D300 on the other hand is fantastic.

I would also recommend getting 2-3 of each of the pads you had previously mentioned, as you will want to switch them out for a clean one while you are working every now and then.

Sealant is not required if you are waxing, but if you are going to do both then you will apply sealant before the wax.

845 is a very durable wax, so you would be fine simply using that, however there is nothing wrong with adding the extra protection of a sealant... there are tons of great ones to choose from. If you like Meguiar's check out M21 synthetic sealant.
    Thanks, I had in mind to get about 3pads of each. Also, is there anyway to prep a car for a complete detailing? As in remove any remaining wax residue before applying new polish/sealant/wax?

I'll be washing, them IronX - TriX, then Claybar, then polish, sealant and then wax, is there any steps before to clean the car free of any leftover wax?

As for sealant, I don't have any brand in mind, is there anything else good other than Mcguiars?

Thanks,
    JP

Post Thanks / Like

I tried posting but had an issue anyway. I would go with the Griots garage da more powerful and a lifetime warranty

I agree with the da microfiber correction kit and at the minimum of 2 of each pads to start
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    I tried posting but had an issue anyway. I would go with the Griots garage da more powerful and a lifetime warranty

I agree with the da microfiber correction kit and at the minimum of 2 of each pads to start
    Thanks, I'll look into it!

Now, would like a bit more info on sealants and the preparation before detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jproy12 View Post
    Thanks, I had in mind to get about 3pads of each. Also, is there anyway to prep a car for a complete detailing? As in remove any remaining wax residue before applying new polish/sealant/wax?

I'll be washing, them IronX - TriX, then Claybar, then polish, sealant and then wax, is there any steps before to clean the car free of any leftover wax?

As for sealant, I don't have any brand in mind, is there anything else good other than Mcguiars?

Thanks,
    JP
    You can wash your car with a citrus based shampoo... ie Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to strip remaining wax/protection. These shampoos are very versatile in that they can be used for regular maintenance washing (when diluted properly) or for stripping your protection (when diluted to a stronger mixture of cleaner to water)... simply read the label on the product for the proper mixing ratios.

I also pre-wash/soak with citrus wash in a foam gun (not foam lance) to help break down any existing LSP.

**some people still use Dawn dish soap to strip LSP... it is effective, but not as preferred as a dedicated car washing shampoo**

For sealant, I love Menzerna Power Lock... however, like most detailing supplies, you will find there are TONS of excellent sealants out there.

Regarding the Meg's MF Correction Kit mentioned above... I would not get the "kit" and just get the cutting pads and D300, as I find the polishing pads and D301 are just not as good as a foam polishing pad and something like M205... just my opinion though.

Also, you mentioned your car was white... but you never said what kind of car it is... mind sharing that info?

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    You can wash your car with a citrus based shampoo... ie Chemical Guys Citrus Wash to strip remaining wax/protection. These shampoos are very versatile in that they can be used for regular maintenance washing (when diluted properly) or for stripping your protection (when diluted to a stronger mixture of cleaner to water)... simply read the label on the product for the proper mixing ratios.

I also pre-wash/soak with citrus wash in a foam gun (not foam lance) to help break down any existing LSP.

**some people still use Dawn dish soap to strip LSP... it is effective, but not as preferred as a dedicated car washing shampoo**

For sealant, I love Menzerna Power Lock... however, like most detailing supplies, you will find there are TONS of excellent sealants out there.

Regarding the Meg's MF Correction Kit mentioned above... I would not get the "kit" and just get the cutting pads and D300, as I find the polishing pads and D301 are just not as good as a foam polishing pad and something like M205... just my opinion though.

Also, you mentioned your car was white... but you never said what kind of car it is... mind sharing that info?
    Thanks for the great info! Really appreciated.

I drive a 2012 Subaru Forester, 5th Subaru, il try to post pics of my older cars.

I'll look into a citrus based soap and some sealants, some great info in this thread that I'll keep handy when doing some research. I'll probably have more information to ask again, just a matter of time!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, another questions; what is the ideal temperature to detail? The temperature these days in Canada are around 50-60deg F, is that warm enough?

Alright, here are some pics of my current car:

My last car, that I sold since I bought a house

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jproy12 View Post
    I've read here on the forums that the Collinite 845 wax may be a sealant, if it is, can anyone suggest a good wax?

I just want to make sure that I have all bases covered before I start my job, so looking at getting polish, sealant then wax, which ones?

Thanks,
    JP
    845 is a great stand alone product.
    The last bottle that I ordered was a combo. Haven't found the need for the DP yet.Detailer’s Maximum Paint Protection Combo, best winter wax, best car wax winter protection

Wish that I woulda remembered the ... White Flip Cap
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast