autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What detergent for pressure washer?

I'm looking to invest in a pressure washer for the house so I can clean concrete and keep the siding clean as well. But I would like to use it on the car as well. I do not want to invest in a foam cannon, but I do want to give the car a pressure rinse prior to bucket washing and maybe use a mild detergent when the car is really dirty prior to bucket washing. It looks like these pressure washers really can't use a thicker "shampoo" type car wash in the detergent reservoir, so I'm looking for some suggestions on what I could do or which products to use.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an electric PW that has the plastic soap holder thing. I have used all kinds of regular car shampoo in it and most have been real thick with no problems. I think their made to use regular car soaps.
    .although the foaming action of them pressure washers are very crappy.

Tell u what I used that wasn't as good as a foam cannon but better than the pw. It was one of those fertilizer or pesticide sprayers that screw onto the hose..

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What detergent for pressure washer?

You want what we in the UK refer to as a 'prewash'. Something mildly alkaline (really should not be hydroxide containing) and not necessarily designed for excessive foaming. These products are vastly more effective than regular car shampoo when used in this manner. Unfortunately, whist we have dozens of good options in the UK, this is a product type not often used in the US. You would have to probably look at heavy duty truck cleaners or APC concentrates as the closest alternative. The other plus with this is that these products should be dramatically cheaper than a fancy shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddzilla67 View Post
    I'm looking to invest in a pressure washer for the house so I can clean concrete and keep the siding clean as well. But I would like to use it on the car as well. I do not want to invest in a foam cannon, but I do want to give the car a pressure rinse prior to bucket washing and maybe use a mild detergent when the car is really dirty prior to bucket washing. It looks like these pressure washers really can't use a thicker "shampoo" type car wash in the detergent reservoir, so I'm looking for some suggestions on what I could do or which products to use.

Thanks!
    You can use a regular shampoo. You just dilute it down before adding in the reservoir.