autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about waterless washing

When doing a waterless or rinseless wash what do you do about the wheels? after you brush solution all over the wheels and it's time to rinse what do you do?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about waterless washing

Well me personally, I don't use a brush or a wheel cleaner if it waterless. I would have a dedicated mf soaked in waterless solution and to get the barrels wrap a wheel woolie in a mf towel.
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43
    2016 Acura MDX SH-awd

Post Thanks / Like
    I spray and scrub the wheels. Then I rinse with a hose and also rinse wheel wells and any area with heavy dirt. Then I do rinse less wash. Seems to work well and I only use about 3-4 gallons of water.

Sent from my MB886 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

With a Rinseless Wash, save wheels and tires for the very last and use what's left in your bucket with a brush like the Mother's Wheel Brush and Mother's Tire brush to wash the wheels and tires and then dry using a black, dedicated microfiber towel that you only use for wheels and tires.

I show most of these tools in this write-up but not the rinseless wash portion...

Review: Mothers Wheel Cleaning Brush

With a Waterless Wash, which is basically a spray detailer on steroids, you use saturate a panel, not merely mist a little product onto the panel. The key is to use a lot of product and have plenty of towels and even brushes to apply and wipe the wheel clean.

Big Picture
    I don't think any manner of cleaning wheels and tires will do a better job of actually using a hose with running water together with all the right products and tools but sometimes you don't have any other options so you have to do the best you can with what you have to work with.

When doing a waterless wash, which I do a lot of, I simply use an APC to clean the tires and after scrubbing them use a terr cloth towel to wipe them dry. You could get more complicated and time consuming and spray some water onto the tire to ensure you're getting all the APC off.

For the wheels, I use either the same waterless wash I'm using on the car body or a a spray detailer. I simply mist the wheel down and then do the best I can to get it clean by wiping usually with a terry cloth towel or a microfiber towel, it depends on the surface I'm dealing with.

For most of my work, the focus is on creating a show car finish so I don't set myself up to be the great wheel and tire cleaner in the first place. That said, it is important to "complete the look".

Here's a car that I cleaned the tires with Pinnacle Signature APC and then dressed using Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing.

Took me about an hour to do all four wheels and tires and this was because the tires had some type of cheap, greasy tire dressing on them and the chrome on the wheels was stained with something?

Before
    Here's what they looked like before I started...

Chrome wheels were very dirty and stained. I cleaned them as best as I could with a waterless wash. The below is a "BEFORE" shot.

After
    Someone put on some type of very greasy tire dressing; it looked horrible and attracts dirt. Had to scrub the tires 3 times to get it off and then I applied a water-based dressing that gives a natural sheen.

Mike Phillips

The wheels and tires on this car were also cleaned and dressed like the Rolls-Royce except I used Optimum Opti-Bond for the tire dressing. Cleaned the wheels and the tires using Pinnacle APC...

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Same goes for this old car...

Christmas Detail - Ferrari P4 - Move over Rudolf

Used Detailer's Waterless Wash for the exterior body panels and the wheels and tires. I forget what I used but it was probably either Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing, (the spray), or Optimum Opti-Bond. Basically, whatever I had on me...