autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hood hit by rock, repair suggestions please...

Hi!

My truck was hit by a rock just 3 weeks after having been painted using a one step. (Happened about 7 years ago) The rock hit away all the paint and primer below it. (The chip is 1/2 inch wide) Since I didn't have the money to get it repaired, and I didn't want it to rust, I simply put down several coats of the leftover paint that I was given. Well, I now have a Porter Cable 7424xp and am looking to repair all the small chips in the paint, as well as this eyesore. Any and all suggestions, and how to's, would be much appreciated.

I have a small 4 fl oz of touch-up paint that the paint shop gave me when I had it painted.

(After this has been taken care of, I plan of doing my first detail with the Porter Cable)

Thanks!

Earl

Last edited by Rykar; 03-26-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to put my name. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hood hit by rock, repair suggestions please...

so it's single stage paint...

in that case, then you can likely follow the DIYs out there that talk about filling the scratch up with base, layer by layer, until it's slightly higher than the surrounding area then blocking it down with 2000 grit until it's flat...then buffing the sand marks away. it will never look perfect but it (the metal) will be protected and look better than it does now.

prep is important to make sure that the paint sticks in the chip, so with something that big it might be worth trying to precisely sand at the base that is there in the chip area to give it surface area for the new paint to stick to. then of course you wipe with prep solvent or IPA solution before you add touch up.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Mike Phillips

You need to sand the inner portion of the chip till you hit a fresh base, metal or factory primer and also somehow sand the perimeter of the remaining paint till any of the lifted portions are gone and you are left with just paint that has good adhesion to the panel.

Then apply some rust preventative primer, lots to choose from. If you want to make sure it never rusts again then get some POR-15 but it's for applying over rusty metal. If you want to apply it over clean, bare metal then you have to etch it and the POR-15 company sells a product for etching and I've used both over the years with great success.

After you get the bare metal primered and sealed then you can start applying your touch up paint. Apply just a little and let it dry and continue this until you've applied enough so that the area is level or a little higher than the surround paint.

Then let this FULLY dry as in weeks in the sun.

Then lightly sand and buff.

It takes a little time but you can get pretty good results with a little persistence, patience and perspiration.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tips. Think I'm going to have to buy the three sanding blocks from Meguiars. (1000, 1500, 2000 grit) Unless you suggest otherwise of course...

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I am seeing nothing but automotive rust primer spray paint. Do I have to spray it on, or can I spray a small amount in a plastic cup and brush it on. I don't know if this is an acceptable way to doing it since its primer. It would be great if I didn't have to worry about overspray.....

There isn't any rust on the chip since I painted it right away. I looks a bit bumpy, but that's just my amateurish painting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rykar View Post
    Also, I am seeing nothing but automotive rust primer spray paint. Do I have to spray it on, or can I spray a small amount in a plastic cup and brush it on. I don't know if this is an acceptable way to doing it since its primer. It would be great if I didn't have to worry about overspray.....

There isn't any rust on the chip since I painted it right away. I looks a bit bumpy, but that's just my amateurish painting.
    I would start all over like MP suggested. 1,2 and 3 thousand grit would be the way to go. Take your time and post some after pictures. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rykar View Post

you can shake well, spray into the lid of the can and use capillary action of a toothpick or brush to fill that void.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.