autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: New paint job curing time?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, Mike. That was a good read. The painter told me to wait at least a month before waxing. I washed the bumper today and it looks fine but there are little dots or bubbles in the paint. I can feel them with my fingernail. I think Mike described them as solvent pop(not sure about this)? :-? Is that due to less waiting time between multiple paint coats?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Car paint drying time would depend on the paint type. There are five different paint types
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 08-08-2022 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Links

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steamshooter View Post
    Mine was backed into a few weeks ago and required a quarter panel to be painted. The body shop told me 90 days before polishing/waxing. It could be hand washed anytime.
    i never really understood this… my understanding is that the clear coats needs to be wet sanded and compounded , even polished after a paint job.

so why wouldn’t you be allow to polish the car if thats exactly what the shop already did with heavy machinery before delivering the car

i m guessing that the reason for this may be using a polish with fillings or sealant protection. But i do not see a reason for this if you are using a polish with no fillers or protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    i never really understood this… my understanding is that the clear coats needs to be wet sanded and compounded , even polished after a paint job.

so why wouldn’t you be allow to polish the car if thats exactly what the shop already did with heavy machinery before delivering the car

i m guessing that the reason for this may be using a polish with fillings or sealant protection. But i do not see a reason for this if you are using a polish with no fillers or protection
    They don’t expect the average Joe to be able to differentiate which polishes are body shop safe and which aren’t, therefore they give you the safe advice and simply tell you not to do it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUDE007 View Post
    Hi, all.
    My dad got the bumpers repainted and i was wondering how long would it take the paint to fully cure? I haven't asked dad whether it was clear coated or a single stage paint job. And i'm pretty sure water based paint was not used. So how long do i have before i can safely wax it? And can i at least wash it before it fully cures?

Thanks.
    Why didnt you or doesnt he ask the PAINTER? No one here knows what system they used and dont you think it would be the BEST option to find out what the manufacture says? Maybe they baked the paint and you dont need a lot of time etc.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

7. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW - old thread...

I had my front bumper cover and left/front fender replaced & repainted a few years ago. They baked the paint and the shop told me I could "wax" it after a week. I think I waited a few weeks then couldn't stand it anymore and HAD to do something to it - polished & waxed it. Years later - no ill effects.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the type of paint they used. Newer paint systems are water based and can be waxed after a few days. If they use an older type of paint that is solvent based, and you wax it too early, the solvents get trapped in the paint and will lift the paint off the pannel.

The best thing to do is just ask the body shop, they know what the specs for the paint they use is and will be able to tell you exactly what the cure time is.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a spoiler repainted about two years ago, and the last words from the body shop guy as I left the door was “we baked it so you can do whatever you want to it right away“… And that was true, I polished it with no problems a half hour later.

But the safe play is to wait 60 days, just washing it for that amount of time.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    not necessarily. repair/collision shops typically dont wet sand/polish on repair work. some try and match the factory OP, insurance companies dont cover the cost of it, and its too time consuming. they have to rush jobs through to make bank.

if its a full repaint/restoration( which i personally wouldnt have done at a repair/collision shop), it typically is wet sanded/polished.

ive wet sanded and polished 3 days out of the booth( no baking) but no wax for 3 months. gotta let the paint/clear off gas and wax can stop that from happening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12