autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Cameras?

I'm looking at buying a camera for the detailing biz that I'm starting...Can I get away with a camera like say a Sony HX200 or Nikon P510 Coolpix or does a guy need to step it up and get a Canon Rebel Xsi or T3i? I guess what i'm wondering is if the lens and focus opportunities for the these two canons are important...Any suggestions?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cameras?

I used to have a Canon Xsi...nice camera for the money but most will tell you the glass makes the difference. I use a Canon 60D now, plus a Panasonic Lumix as a pocket camera.

Between the choices you've given yourself, I would suggest the Canon T3i. It's a great camera plus the fold-out screen makes it easy to get shots from angles otherwise difficult and uncomfortable to shoot. I'm not disparaging the others you've mentioned but the fold-out view screen makes all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I used to have a Canon Xsi...nice camera for the money but most will tell you the glass makes the difference. I use a Canon 60D now, plus a Panasonic Lumix as a pocket camera.

Between the choices you've given yourself, I would suggest the Canon T3i. It's a great camera plus the fold-out screen makes it easy to get shots from angles otherwise difficult and uncomfortable to shoot. I'm not disparaging the others you've mentioned but the fold-out view screen makes all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go DSLR, such as the T3i, which I have, its all in the glass. You can spend as much or more on a good lens as you do the body so it all depends on how deep your pockets are and what else you may use it for.

Post Thanks / Like

If you currently have a digital camera, you probably can save your money. Taking pictures of cars sitting still in good light is about as easy as it gets for photography.

Get a tripod, learn to use exposure compensation and localized focus points.

Post Thanks / Like

you dont need a camera that costs more than $400.

You can do it with a point and shoot like the Canon S110 or with a cheap DSLR and kit lens.

The trick is learning HOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    If you currently have a digital camera, you probably can save your money. Taking pictures of cars sitting still in good light is about as easy as it gets for photography.

Get a tripod, learn to use exposure compensation and localized focus points.
    I just use my IPhone for a camera now! I think I'm gonna pull the plug on a T3i?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pdetailz View Post
    I just use my IPhone for a camera now! I think I'm gonna pull the plug on a T3i?
    You will not see any advantage of a DSLR over a P&S unless you take the time to learn how to utilize all of the additional features of a DSLR. If you do not plan to spend the amount of time necessary to learn the basics of photography, just save your money and get a P&S... shooting with a DSLR on Auto will produce nearly the same results as a nice P&S on Auto.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    If you do not plan to spend the amount of time necessary to learn the basics of photography, just save your money and get a P&S... shooting with a DSLR on Auto will produce nearly the same results as a nice P&S on Auto.
    Actually, your results might be worse! Go to any photography forum and you'll see lots of posts about pictures from a new SLR not being nearly as pleasing to the owner as their previous P&S. Add the fact that most DSLRs will use a shallow DOF, and you'll get muted shots with parts of the car being out of focus.

A DSLR is a time commitment!

Mike Phillips

I'm on my third Rebel and can't say enough good things about these cameras. If you read through any of may articles or write-ups you'll see I take a lot of pictures, as in a lot of pictures.

The one thing I like about a full size camera like the Rebel is the ability to get the entire side or profile shot of a car in frame without having to walk 50 feet away from the car, like this...

Kind of a simple benefit to some but when for me, for the amount of pictures I take and the walking time to back away from the car to fit the entire car in-frame, it's worth it.

Plus a lot of other reasons. Like others said though, you need to learn to use the features of the camera to get good shots and that takes reading and practice.

Getting on a ladder and getting shots like these helps with a camera like the Rebel too and I use the box stock lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast