autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, is foaming even effective? Isn't a simple wash mitt much better?

I've been coming across many posts and pictures in the forum about foaming in the washing process. I can't logically understand the benefit of it? The foam supposedly sits there and lifts the dirt, etc.

Apart than the fact that it looks great and makes you feel better, is it even effective?!

Wouldn't a regular 2 bucket wash (including shampoo like Meguiar's Gold Class) with a washing mitt that really scrubs off the dirt and grime be much more effective? Or maybe even a pressure wash?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by TroyM; 03-21-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    2011 Diamond White GMC Yukon SLT
    2010 Pearl White Nissan Sentra SR

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honestly, is foaming even effective? Isn't a simple wash mitt much better?

I don't think foaming's designed to replace the traditional wash, it just seems like an extra step in the process that to me, is theoretically sound in serving the purpose advertised. It's a pre-soak, every says to pre-soak your car to get loose dust/dirt off and everyone supports keeping the car wet during your wash (which are both reasonable practices) but how can soaking the car in a concentrated, pressurized cleaning solution not benefit the washing process? It's certainly not a hindrance and it's more suds and solution on the surface of the car if you wash with a mitt while the suds are still present and clinging.

The skepticism is certainly valid, especially when time and money comes into the equation, however the science (for what a 22 year old who couldn't stand biology) seems sound to me.
    07 Mazda 6i

Post Thanks / Like

The Reason for foam is to presoak and get the loose dirt off before you do the two bucket wash so there is chance of marring. When your doing a customer car it's worth it. For your personal its up to you. Yes it does make a big difference. When it soaking I take a brush to all the emblems and cracks to clean them out. When you foam and mix apc in with the soap helps get bugs off with less scrubbing and less chance of marring the paint. So yes it well worth it or none of use that do it for a living would waste our time doing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If foaming floats your boat, sail on...in your lovely white sea of marketing seduction.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I can say up to about a week ago I wondered the same thing with regards to doing a presoak. A few months ago I removed all the swirls on my car and put a coat of opti-coat on it. I don't wash the car at my house as I have very hard water. So I goto a manual car wash and hose everything I can off the car, then I dry it with a good MF and ONR. Up to now it's been working great and no more swirls. About one week ago I put about 1500 miles on the car in a matter of days and the front had tons of bug, pollen all over the car...along with a bunch of other stuff. So I goto the car wash and use their presoak that I never used before and as I was spraying the car down it looked like all the crude was just melting and running down the car. I was really amazed with how well it work(I plan to ask the owner of the car was what brand of presoak solution he uses) so I decided to go around the car one more time. Remember this presoak at the car wash was very very low pressure......when I went around for a second time and made my way back to the front bumper area 100% of the bugs came off with the limited pressure from the presoak.

So if you asked me now about doing a foam job or presoak prior to touching the car with anything I would say absolutely. After doing the presoak I hit it with high pressure wash and then HP rinse. Without touching the car I removed 95% of the dirt and crud...the other 5% was in the door jams and under the hood. I have very little chance of doing damage to the paint on my car this way. just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Foaming can get into nooks and crannies that you normally can't get into.

Post Thanks / Like
    For first time polishing it does not really matter, you are going to polish it anyway.

But for maintenance, you foam wash, let it sit for couple of minutes, blast with high pressure, it will absolutely reduce risk of dragging dirt when you do manual wash.

Dont forget to use good soap with lots of suds and cleaning power. Totally worth it.
    AutoHeed Car Detailing Services
    +628170179017 or autoheed@gmail.com
    AutoHeed l www.autoheed.net

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally have a foam gun i have used it and found that the results from presoaking is amazingit really cuts down your labour.

Mike Phillips

The first time I saw a picture of a car completely foamed it created a mental image in my mind that the car was REALLY getting cleaned. Even the picture you posted above makes it look like the car is getting SUPER cleaned.

If it creates that kind of image or message to me in my mind, a guy that knows a little about car detailing I figure at a minimum it's doing the same for Joe Average. To this point, you can use this type of image creation specifically for marketing reasons to show customers that you go above and beyond what the average detailer does to get their car clean.

That's the marketing side. The other side is that as long as the foam or suds clings to the surface then the cleaning agents do in fact have more "Dwell Time" to soften, dissolve, loosen, emulsify, any surface dirt so it can more safely be removed from paints that are scratch-sensitive.

Plus... it looks cool...

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased a AG HD foam cannon a few months back. It does take more time to drag out the pressure washer but it is certainly worth it.

I use it as a presoak. I foam a dry car, let dwell and rinse off with a 40 degree nozzle. Then, I go into a normal two bucket wash process.

By the time I get to my two bucket wash, there is barely any dirt/grime on the surface of the vehicle. This means (And this is important) when I am running my wash mitt over the surface, there are much less abrasive particles between the mitt and the paint. This is a good thing when it comes to reducing swirls.

So, IMO its worth it to do a presoak if you have time and the means to purchase a foam cannon.

Drew
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast