autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Natural Leather Chamois vs Other Drying Products

I have always used a natural leather chamois and gotten great results. I haven’t seen any marring or swirl marks even after years of use. I have tried many of the newer products and techniques (synthetic chamois, Cobra Guzzler waffle weave, standard microfiber, leaf blower etc..), but have always gone back to my chamois for one reason or another But after reading so many positive posts about other products and negative posts about the chamois, I have to wonder if I’m missing something.

After using the Absorber several time I noticed some swirl marks (which I was able to buff out). It did absorb lots of water, but even then wasn’t noticeably faster than my original chamois. I can only assume that the swirl marks we the result of the lack of any natural nap, since my wash process is still the same as it’s always been.

I did try using my leaf blower once and it may have been a bit faster, but I live in an area where there is a lot of dust, grit and salt in the air. And since my leaf blower doesn’t have an air filter, I decided that even though the junk in the air is small, I was blowing it back onto my paint after I’d just cleaned it. .

I have also tried multiple microfiber products, including the Cobra Guzzler, but didn’t like the idea of not being able to rinse the towel, or at least wring it out, while drying. No matter how well I wash my car there is always some dirt left behind that I count on the drying towel to pick up and pull away from the paint. Microfiber is great at doing that, but its nap can only hold so much before it’s saturated and becomes abrasive; and since I can’t rinse the dirt out, I need another towel. I could minimize this by using multiple towels, but Guzzlers are bit pricey for me.

So now, once again, I’m back to my old chamois. I have a lot of respect for the expertise of the people that post here, and would appreciate some feedback. Am I not using these other products properly, or am I just missing something? Anybody else still using a leather chamois?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Natural Leather Chamois vs Other Drying Products

I have had similar experiences with the cobra waffle weave towels and other products like the absorber. I found that the waffle weave towels were a pain to maintain, had to wash them multiple times to become broken in and they still didn't absorb water the way I expected (at least for me), you are supposed to use different detergent, they are expensive, etc.

I didn't like the absorber because it was so smooth that dirt remaining on the car was causing small scratches.

I don't believe that newer is better, and for me, a lot of the newer MF products don't compare to my natural chamois. I buy a new chamois every few years, which makes them a great investment and I don't have any of the issues I have experienced with the newer products.

Maybe I am missing something too

Post Thanks / Like

I only use my Master Blaster to dry my customers cars. But you could go the cheaper way and just buy a blower which works great to then that would solve your problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    How are you folding the waffle weaver towels. I have several of these towels and it seem to work better if you fold it multiple time . So you can start with a dryer side . Thats just my opinion . I've also thought about a leaf blower my self . But like you I'm scared of dirt and so on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP and the second. Are you saying that after using the Absorber, you found swirl marks and scratches?
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always used a synthetic chamois when using wax as you dry products and it works for me. If not using a drying aid I will use a microfibre with good results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwnmke67 View Post
    I have always used a natural leather chamois and gotten great results. I haven’t seen any marring or swirl marks even after years of use. I have tried many of the newer products and techniques (synthetic chamois, Cobra Guzzler waffle weave, standard microfiber, leaf blower etc..), but have always gone back to my chamois for one reason or another But after reading so many positive posts about other products and negative posts about the chamois, I have to wonder if I’m missing something.

After using the Absorber several time I noticed some swirl marks (which I was able to buff out). It did absorb lots of water, but even then wasn’t noticeably faster than my original chamois. I can only assume that the swirl marks we the result of the lack of any natural nap, since my wash process is still the same as it’s always been.

I did try using my leaf blower once and it may have been a bit faster, but I live in an area where there is a lot of dust, grit and salt in the air. And since my leaf blower doesn’t have an air filter, I decided that even though the junk in the air is small, I was blowing it back onto my paint after I’d just cleaned it. .

I have also tried multiple microfiber products, including the Cobra Guzzler, but didn’t like the idea of not being able to rinse the towel, or at least wring it out, while drying. No matter how well I wash my car there is always some dirt left behind that I count on the drying towel to pick up and pull away from the paint. Microfiber is great at doing that, but its nap can only hold so much before it’s saturated and becomes abrasive; and since I can’t rinse the dirt out, I need another towel. I could minimize this by using multiple towels, but Guzzlers are bit pricey for me.

So now, once again, I’m back to my old chamois. I have a lot of respect for the expertise of the people that post here, and would appreciate some feedback. Am I not using these other products properly, or am I just missing something? Anybody else still using a leather chamois?
    Yes it's hard to beat the absorbing power of a good chamois, not to mention ring it our and go right back to work. The down side is if there is some grit or contaminents left behind the chamois cn scratch the clear coat. Since you say there is dust, grit salt in the air I would think the risk is greater.

If I do a traditional wash I use leaf blower followed by a microfiber waffel towel and go a panel at a time. I also usually follow the drying with V07 or detail spray. I try to work in the shade to allow for more work time to dry the car. I really prefer waterless or rinseless wash but the downside is all the MF towel washing. The upside is washing MF's is easier than washing a car. I don't use chamois anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I used one for 20yrs. It finally gave out, I went to MF and have been happy with those since

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

bwnmke67, I still use the natural chamois as well. It’s absorbent, has nap and a good quality chamois will last me many years.

When I tried some of the newer MF products, I found that they wouldn’t absorb as much water as the chamois, even after I washed them multiple times to break them in as suggested.

I read this article recently that explained some simple characteristics of a car drying products. It takes a common sense approach to the subject.

How to Choose the Best Car Drying Towel or Cloth

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly ive always used cotton towels(like bath towels) and I havent seen much marring maybe some. But Ive been looking for a better alternative

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast