autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding d/a polishers- be gentle!

Not sure where to start but maybe a little history since this is my first post here.

I am a private, not for profit collector with several cars. One from the fifties, one from the sixties, and one from 1970. I am a full time HVAC technician and like to think of myself as pretty handy in most anything mechnical. That being said, I don't know much about using machines to correct a car's finish except that the paint can easily be messed up by someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

This is why I'm posting here for some advice.

I am considering buying a PC 7424XP and the most immediate purpose I intend to use it on is my wifes 2008 BMW 328. Long story short, the car is (was) in excellant condition before it sustained some paint damage this winter. It was parked in a carport with heavy duty plastic tarps secured to posts on the open side. During an extreme wind storm this tarp came loose and rubbed against the top of the door, roof edge and 1/2 the hood. There are many fine scratches (can't feel them with a fingernail) almost as though the car was sanded with really fine sandpaper.

I've been doing some reading and saw the Meguiars Microfiber system but I'm leaning towards a series of pads and M105, M205 possible so I can use the buffer on some minor problems with my other cars.

Sorry for the long post. Thank-you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question regarding d/a polishers- be gentle!

The Meg's microfiber system is really foolproof, IMO. I don't see how you can go wrong with it. Buy the starter kit and some extra pads. I'm sure you have a small air compressor for fluffing the fibers.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Question regarding d/a polishers- be gentle!

Go to youtube and search junkman2000. He just posted 4 videos for novices. Watch, listen and learn. You will have all your answers right there......WELCOME TO AGO

Post Thanks / Like

Not a long post at all and good questions. First off, I don't detail for a living, it's a hobby. I started exactly the same way. I asked questions and watched a ton of you tube videos before buying a PC and some pads, mainly to clean up some dealer installed swirls on my new car. One thing lead to another and I got the sickness (ie a few grand worth of polishers and the stuff to go with them). Now I've done about 50 cars, trucks and vans for friends and family. A few of them even paid for the stuff I used. I have a stressful job and this keeps me out of the bell tower.

I'd say a reasonably handy and careful person would have a tough time screwing up with a PC. You won't be very fast or efficient at first but you won't do any real harm as you learn the tricks of using a DA polisher.

There are a bunch of experts who make money here and about an equal number of hobbyists who all have one thing in common; they are very helpful! Some will even offer to come over and help you out.

I do suggest that you "practice" on something other than your Shelby Cobra or racing Ferrari. Find a buddy with a beater and take a few hours to perfect your technique (make he or she buy you some beer or something). You will get the test vehicle and he or she will get a shinny car out of the deal. You're going to have a blast and before long, you'll have friends you never know you had, all of which, need help with their paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get a PC, get a Griot's Garage You'll be a happier man!
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone seems to recommend the Griots DA... Honestly though I haven't ever run into anything that I was doing with my PC7424XP where I thought to myself "gosh, this thing just doesn't have enough power to do what I want." Speed 6 corrects LIKE A BOSS and with 5 1/2 foam pads the machine does not bog down even with firm pressure.

I also recommend trying out the Meg's microfiber system. At the very least pickup a few cutting pads and D300. It works well with foam pads too and is effortless to work with.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

It's not only about power it's also the lifetime warranty that sells the griots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a Rupes

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased the Griots DA polisher, and I will be using it for the first time this weekend, any helpful tips before I begin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    I just purchased the Griots DA polisher, and I will be using it for the first time this weekend, any helpful tips before I begin?
    Clean and/or change the pads frequently. The most common thing I see is people complaining that their pads mysteriously explode or the backing melting off. This is typically caused by excess product building up and storing heat inside the pad which in turn causes it to rapidly degrade.

Also... enjoy!!! If this is your first time machine polishing paint you are in store for a real treat!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast