autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dealer Installed Swirl Option!

I found this site and this forum searching google for what to do about swirls on a new car. I must say, it is at least a little comforting to know that I'm not the only one who gets this feature on their vehicle.

I just bought a black 2013 miata, picked it up at night, and got it home fine. The next day I washed it and got a look in the sun and there was a HORRIBLE buff job on the entire vehicle. It was like a brillo pad was rubbed on the entire thing. I took it back and they buffed it out a bit, but it's still swirled in the right light and they say you can't buff much more without going into the pigmented paint so they wouldn't recommend doing it. And they wouldn't do anything else for me because... they're a dealership.

Anyway, I've essentially never done detailing work on a car, let alone restorative detailing. I don't have the tools, so in the short term, if I take it somewhere, what can they actually do to make it look beautiful, and what should I ask for and how much money should this cost, roughly?

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the dealership hacked you, but more importantly hacked your cars paint! I would be INFURIATED if I just bought a brand new car and the dealer left swirls, and then try to tell you they cant buff it further? How much paint did these clowns take off?

Anyhow the good news is with the right products, equipment and a little know how you can do this yourself. A starting point is to watch some of Mike Phillips videos online, buy yourself a nice Dual Action polisher and get to work. Theres many of us here that are willing to walk you through and guide you in the right direction if you need help.

As far as cost, its not too expensive. A nice DA will run you about $130-140, few pads, few polishes & waxes. I want to say maybe $300 +/-. Really depends on what you end up getting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Swirls are to black paint as flies are to... well you get the idea. Anyways, look up how to clay bar your car to remove contaminates after a good wash and then how to properly tape off your tirmwork and unless you find something deeper, I would just try polishing and waxing it. I doubt, not promise or guarantee, it needs anything more aggressive cutting into the clearcoat.

Those little cars have fun suspension systems

Lucky Joe,
    Wannabe Detailer

Sent from my HTC DNA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Installed Swirl Option!

Quote Originally Posted by CM8 6MT View Post
    Sounds like the dealership hacked you, but more importantly hacked your cars paint! I would be INFURIATED if I just bought a brand new car and the dealer left swirls, and then try to tell you they cant buff it further? How much paint did these clowns take off?

Anyhow the good news is with the right products, equipment and a little know how you can do this yourself. A starting point is to watch some of Mike Phillips videos online, buy yourself a nice Dual Action polisher and get to work. Theres many of us here that are willing to walk you through and guide you in the right direction if you need help.

As far as cost, its not too expensive. A nice DA will run you about $130-140, few pads, few polishes & waxes. I want to say maybe $300 +/-. Really depends on what you end up getting.
    How's this kit from autogeek? Does it have everything I'll need other than the polishes and waxes?

Porter Cable 7424 Complete Starter Kit, Porter Cable 7424 buffer, Porter Cable power tools

The polisher itself is comparable to amazon price...
    Last edited by Zingledot; 03-08-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: edited to include link....hah

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

welcome to AGO!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    welcome to AGO!!!!!!
    Yay Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post
    How's this kit from autogeek? Does it have everything I'll need other than the polishes and waxes?

Porter Cable 7424 Complete Starter Kit, Porter Cable 7424 buffer, Porter Cable power tools

Yeah thats a very solid starter kit, I would recommend it especially now that AG has that sale going on. Your Mazda was manufactured by Ford, so expect a semi hard paint system. You wont know for sure until you do a test spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingledot View Post

That comes with all u need except the polish. U will want to use that white polish pad with some light polishing product. (Start with least aggressive to do the job). I like menzera 4600 or over the counter Meguiars ultimate polish. With that white pad. The finish with that blue pad and a good sealer any kind that is good will do like wolf gang deep gloss sealer 3.0.

I just did my 2013 Kia that was just like your car. Dealer looked like he rubbed brillo all over it. Very light though but easy to see on black.

I promise u if u do what I did.. (white pad megs ultimate polish.) The swirls will b gone and good thing about that pad and product is it finishes really nice.. if u do a spot and it don't remove it move up to megs ultimate compound with the same pad. Still leaves a GREAT finish.. once u decide to go on with polish or compound and finish the car. Then take off all the excees product with a mf.. then use your blue pad to apply sealer.. good as new I promise!

If u have to use megs compound instead of polish to have a even better finish u could apply polish with a gray or black pad after the white with compound then go on to sealer.
    BUT ONLY IF U HAVE TO USE COMPOUND..
    Hope this helps

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Akj, nice reply but the member is completely new. I would suggest him going over some how-to videos by mike phillips, learning about products like Menzerna & Meguiar's, etc before he goes onto tackling this job.

Baby steps. More often then not, many people DIVE head first into the world of detailing, and end up spending more money than they needed, or simply dont learn the correct techniques.

Zingledot, I highly recommend any of Mike Phillips books, they have alot of information that will get you Up To Speed on what you will need to learn.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome the Geek. And where are you located? Usually if someone near you sees where you are from they will gladly come to assist you with their equipment before you get too deep into buying stuff.you don't know how to use yet.
    Before making a purchase review the related articles/videos on here. Remember their is no rush, those swirls aren't going anywhere.LOL
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast