autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing my new Truck

Hi guys, just picked up my brand new 2013 Chevy Traverse in Summit White.

This is the first time Im posting and I have some expericence detailing. Im planning
    on giving my brand new White truck a full detailing. What I have in my possesion is the following. I have Megs Claybar, Meg's #7 Showcar Glaze, Megs #26 Wax, Megs, NXT 2.0 Wax, and Collinite 845 Wax.

Dont ask my why I have so many waxes..lol I was able to get the Meguiars waxes for cheap as somone who detailed sold them to me for about $1 a pop.

Anyhow, I am thinking of doing the following to this brand new truck. Keep in mind the color is White (non-metallic) so Im not sure how much "pop" I can get out of it.

1. Thoroughly wash car with Meguiars Gold Class (2 bucket method)
    2. Clay entire Car
    3. Protect with 2 thin coats of Collinite 845.

Do you guys think I should use the Meguiars #7 Glaze prior to using the Collinite 845? I know the Glazes are just for shine. Do you think the above would be sufficient?

Let me know if theres something I can add in after claying that will make that White Color just "pop". I love using Collinite 845, as water just beads off !!

I will be doing everything by hand as I dont own a DA polisher. I do have one of those orbital buffers though. Its a craftsman that my father gifted to me for bday.

Looking forward to your tips. Thanks so much and this site is awesome !!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing my new Truck

After washing and claying I would inspect the paint to see if any polishing is required. Of course on a white vehicle it's difficult to spot swirl marks and other defects but often times they are there even on a brand new car. I'm in a similar situation, we just picked up a new 2013 Acura ilx in pearl white for my fiancé. Now, it's a heck of a lot easier to maintain than the black BMW we traded in but regardless, it came equipped with some fine swirls from day 1. I live in pittsburgh and we took delivery of the car at the end of January so I have not had time nor adequate weather to do any correction on it yet so I took basically the exact steps that you are planning. I gave it a thorough wash and clay and then topped it off with a few coas of collinite 845. The car looks phenomenal and really pops, and the swirls are not detectable even in sunlight but nevertheless, they are still there. I plan to correct them in the spring but my suggestion to you would be to make sure the paint is where you want it to be and if not take the appropriate steps to get it there if you have the tools and products necessary and aren't opposed machine polishing a brand new car.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a white car and I use and I would buff the car first before any of this.
    Menzerna Power Lock Sealant 2 coats
    Lusso Oro Premium Carnauba Wax 2 coats
    Next time will be using this for my sealant.
    SONAX ProfiLine PolymerNetShield Quick Polymer Sealant

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CleanCarGuy View Post

I do have one of those orbital buffers though. Its a craftsman that my father gifted to me for bday.

Does it look like this?

The Traditional Orbital Buffer aka The Wax Spreader

Copyright ©PBMA - AutogeekOnline.net® All Rights Reserved

Or something like one of these....

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CleanCarGuy View Post

Let me know if theres something I can add in after claying that will make that White Color just "pop". I love using Collinite 845, as water just beads off !!

The goal with white and light colored paints is to get the paint a smooth as possible and as defect free as possible... then you're create high gloss...

Gloss starts first with a smooth surface...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's it. It's a spreader and not a DA polisher.
    Since its still in the box, I'll prob return and use
    The proceeds towards a DA polisher like the PC 7424X.

Would it be okay to use a Porter Cable DA Polisher
    On a brand new car? I mean, the paint is great condition, obviously minus any imperfections from sitting in the dealerships lot. If it is safe, what kind of pad would I use and what speed would I set the polisher at, to say, apply wax.

Any recommendations on what products I should include prior to waxing or should I just go straight to waxing after claying?

Thanks for everyone's replies. Hopefully the weather here in NY
    Will cooperate so I can get this baby detailed.

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice above. Congrats on the machine...and FWIW, I love GM's Summit White. Great color.

Read up on paint correction and machine polishing. You'll undoubtedly find imperfections in the paint, but you may have to look hard for them...the beauty of white. Nonetheless, in direct sunlight, or really good artificial light, you'll see them. That's where the leveling comes in, which - as mentioned by the man himself above - is where gloss starts.

You're totally fine with the waxes you've got. If over time, you decide you want a bit more protection, I'll toss out the recommendation for Wolfgang's DGPS. I love the stuff, and it's my go-to for non-metallic light colors, as it adds quite a bit of gloss/wetness/reflectiveness to the finish...along with the durable protection of a sealant.

FWIW, here's a shot of the last summit white vehicle I detailed...

I used my trusty PC 7424.... Wash; clay; LC orange w/ Megs 105, followed by LC White w/ Megs 205. DGPS by hand.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    SONAX ProfiLine PolymerNetShield Quick Polymer Sealant
    ive heard this is a great product...but isnt it in an aerosol can? does it make it harder to apply?
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomvroom View Post
    great advice above. Congrats on the machine...and fwiw, i love gm's summit white. Great color.

Read up on paint correction and machine polishing. You'll undoubtedly find imperfections in the paint, but you may have to look hard for them...the beauty of white. Nonetheless, in direct sunlight, or really good artificial light, you'll see them. That's where the leveling comes in, which - as mentioned by the man himself above - is where gloss starts.

You're totally fine with the waxes you've got. If over time, you decide you want a bit more protection, i'll toss out the recommendation for wolfgang's dgps. I love the stuff, and it's my go-to for non-metallic light colors, as it adds quite a bit of gloss/wetness/reflectiveness to the finish...along with the durable protection of a sealant.

Fwiw, here's a shot of the last summit white vehicle i detailed...

i used my trusty pc 7424.... Wash; clay; lc orange w/ megs 105, followed by lc white w/ megs 205. Dgps by hand.
    yes!!!!
    I see swirls everywhere!!!