autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Spot Remover, Clay bar, still have stubborn water spots...

Folks! Need your help.

I'm new to the forum and new to detailing but I’ve always been a car guy. This past weekend I used a clay bar for the first time, Mothers Clay Bar to be exact, on my wife’s white car. I was blown away by the results and what all a clay bar can remove from the paint. Very happy and satisfied with the results on the paint.
    We bought our cars last fall and both were plagued with water spots.

I have bought Mothers Water Spot remover a month or so ago and used the rough side of a sponge to help with abrasion. I saw a little improvement but not a contaminate free surface i was looking for. Fast forward to this past weekend, after the car had been washed (Mothers Carnauba), clay bar (Mothers Clay Bar), and spray wax (Mothers Spray wax). I tackled the glass because from my research I read a few folks suggested it. Lowe and behold, clean contaminate free glass. I was very happy to see this and noticed immediate clarity shortly thereafter. Needless to say, I was quite proud of myself.

With the wife's car being the guinea pig that it is, I moved to my 11" 5.0. However, after claying both the front and rear glass (using the same bar i used on the Edge) i realized some improvement but not the crystal clear looks I’m going for.

So, for my Mustang. I suppose i need to go to the next level and buy a PC, cutting pad, and some high quality glass polish?

I apologize for the length but i wanted to explain where i was in the process.

P.S: I am a huge fan of all the Mothers products but do realize no one distributor can offer all the solutions of every application. However, the water spot remover may be more effective with a machine versus my hand as these spots are obviously very stubborn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like products designed/intended to remove defects from paint by machine, most product designed to remove defects from glass work best with a machine.
    If I can't remove a water spot with glass cleaner, vinegar, or a claying product, I usually hit it with DP's HP glass restorer or CarPro's Ceriglass. If the said water spots have a texture after coating the they are etched into the glass and need polishing with a glass polish like ceriglass and a glass polishing disc. Sometime a paint compound and cutting pad will work but usually foam pads are too flexible to effectively cut glass. If you have a drill you use it with an attachment for it to be used with polishing pad(like from a headlight restoration kit) or try out the new Meg's DA kit for drills.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    And what do mean by "the rough side of a sponge"? Like a kitchen/household sponge?...
    You can usually use a short nap multipurpose MF for polishing as well. And will give you cut bit not risk scratching the surface like an abrasive pad/sponge. Whatever works for you though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water Spot Remover, Clay bar, still have stubborn water spots...

That's what I figured, a machine was in my future. Which is okay seeing as I'm trying to work my way up to it and I suppose if I had to choose surfaces to learn on, I would take hard glass over my paint any day.

Post Thanks / Like

I had good results with a DA (Rupes 15), 5.5-in Lake Country Tangerine pad, and Mothers Water Spot Remover.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck using the Water Spot Remover for Glass with the blue PowerBall 4Lights. The blue foam is more aggressive than the red PowerBall used on rims.

If you're going to use a DA instead, I'd suggest the Lake Country white pad, stepping up to the yellow if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had insane water spots on my glass and used m105/205 on orange/white pads with pc7424xp. On lighter spots I have used Meguiars scratchX by hand.
    2011 Corvette Grand Sport & 2007 TrailBlazer SS (Both black!)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I gave the Blue Power Ball and Water Spot remover a shot last night and alas, water spots. Looks like I’ll be waiting until i get a DA. I'll probably go with the GG-HD kit that comes with several pads along with some of Mothers Paint Restoration and see if the water spot remover gets the job done with a more aggressive pad. Sucks knowing the person who owned the car before you didn't care for it that well. Not in my garage!