autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Machine Polishing 3M Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)

Hello everyone,

Had a great amount of advice/knowledge given to me on my first question on here so thought I would try this one.

I have searched here, and on the net, and I just haven't got the answers I was looking for.

I am about to make my first big purchase on Autogeek (PC 7424XP and supplies), and I was wondering what is the proper procedures for cars with 3M clear bra paint protection. Can you machine polish, apply sealant, clay, etc. just as you would with normal paint?

I remember the installer saying that you should apply some wax to it every once in a while... but I am just worried that if I polish out the whole car and not the 3M film it will look awful.

Anyway, any advice on this? Thanks for the input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machine Polishing 3M Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)

Probably should have machined polished and paint corrected the whole car before applying 3M clear bra. Reason being when you and if you ever correct the paint again the part under the bra will match the rest of the car, if you know what I mean.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally get that, unfortunately my dad doesn't really understand detailing quite like I do.

So really, the big question is, how do you detail a car with 3M already on it? Just hand wax the film?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say tape it off when you work on the car and then here is a link to a product that is made for clear bras along with other applications, read the whole page as it says it is wax free.

Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer 16 oz.

Let me know what you think and maybe some veterans can chime in that work with them all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wardpr68 View Post
    ...what is the proper procedures for cars with 3M clear bra paint protection. Can you machine polish, apply sealant, clay, etc. just as you would with normal paint?

I remember the installer saying that you should apply some wax to it every once in a while... but I am just worried that if I polish out the whole car and not the 3M film it will look awful.
    -Polishing the paint will not affect how the clear bra (PPF) looks.
    (Type in: polishing clear bra...into search function, will provide
    recommendations from a PPF supplier for polishing PPF to remove
    blemishes when one deems it is absolutely necessary...I'll see if I can find it)

EDIT:
    Found it!! In this thread...Post #5
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...orrection.html

-Waxes are generally a no-no because of their solvent content (ex: naptha will deteriorate PPF)

-Use of the following products will prolong the looks and the warranties of any PPF:

An excellent OTC T.T.R. (Tire/Tar/Rubber) Remover.....

The only recommended "Detail Spray" for PPF...

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 02-27-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Addition of Clear Bra Correction Thread for OP
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You can certainly polish the clear bra. (You can also use a clay bar on it, and you may be astonished at what you pull off the material.) You'll find that it's very similar to a soft clear coat, so treat with caution, but by all means...treat. Start with a mild polish/pad combo, and see how far that gets you. FWIW, I use PC/LC White/Megs 205. I've never had to resort to anything stronger. I follow up with a 'pure' sealant - my go-tos are Four Star UPP and Blackfire WD.

In terms of durability...using my wife's car as an example, it's terrific. She's had 3M film on there since March, 2007. I've clayed, polished, and sealed it five times, and it still looks terrific....minus all the pitting you'd expect on the front bumper and hood pieces.
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The clearcoat on the top of the 3M Scotchgard film is extremely thin. Only in emergency repair situations (light scratches) should you ever buff or polish the film.
    Also, the heat generated from polishing can soften the adhesive and damage the film.
    Best practice is to clean thoroughly using a mild detergent and wax regularly (only to help make it easy to clean) using a non-abrasive, non-cleaning wax. 3M makes a product called Perfomance Finish that they have extensively tested on this film with no issues (silicone based). If you prefer to used no silicone, a pure carnuba or most any other non-cleaning wax is fine (hand applied).
    This will give you many years of great looking protection.
    I am a veteran PPF installer, certified by 3M. We have used all brands of film on the market 3M is one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintprotector View Post
    The clearcoat on the top of the 3M Scotchgard film is extremely thin. Only in emergency repair situations (light scratches) should you ever buff or polish the film.
    Also, the heat generated from polishing can soften the adhesive and damage the film.
    Best practice is to clean thoroughly using a mild detergent and wax regularly (only to help make it easy to clean) using a non-abrasive, non-cleaning wax. 3M makes a product called Perfomance Finish that they have extensively tested on this film with no issues (silicone based). If you prefer to used no silicone, a pure carnuba or most any other non-cleaning wax is fine (hand applied).
    This will give you many years of great looking protection.
    I am a veteran PPF installer, certified by 3M. We have used all brands of film on the market 3M is one of the best.
    Can you safely clay bar PPF as well? I have a tiny rubber/black smudge/smear on my front number and was wondering if claying will incur any damage. From what I have read and found so far, it seems to be safe. However, with you being well versed in this area, I'd rather ask your opinion.

Thanks!

george