autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes you just want to give up

I have had my 2012 black Prius for a year now, a daily driver at close to 90 miles a day. At first I was just using the cheap MF towls at the autoparts store, it always looked good after my washing. I read countless threads here and bought better towels, products and tested them all. I wash, clayed, polished and waxed. I know black is the hardest to keep inline and I do it all by hand. But this sunday it was the worst. After washing, and claying the top hoods and deck I used WG Polish and paint cleaner. I did the 3 areas and followed the directions. All the work in shade at 65 degrees. When I removed the polish, my engine hood is a F-ing mess, I got scratches i the same pattern that the polish was applied, my foam pad was very clean as always, and I wasnt using too little. It went on very nice and smooth. The damage was so bad even my girfirend saw it in the sunlight and asked what the heck happened. The only spot that didnt weem to be affected was the one inch square that I tested with the towel to see if it was ready to take off. this hood is just a mess now, it has always been a disaster and I cant figure it out. Most of the rest of the car seems okay, but I hate to look. I do have a DA which I havent used yet. It is a pisser to put 3 hours into a car and have it look like crap. I need to just to get this out of my system to those who understand. I look at it as the better the products I use, the worse my car looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sometimes you just want to give up

What foam pad did you use. I have a 2013 Mustang and it can sometimes be a pain to work with. Sounds like you have super soft paint

Post Thanks / Like

were you careful when using the pad, sometimes this kinda stuff happens due to uneven pressure distribution, usually more pressure at the fingertips, and it makes scratches wherever your fingertips move,

but the maybe the application wasn't the problem, the part you tested removing gave good results, are you sure you weren't aggressive with the microfiber and that it was very clean

Post Thanks / Like

MF towel was clean and very soft, the foam pad is what I might suspect if anything, but the same pad didn't give the same results elsewhere. This engine hood has always been a pain since day one. I will do a 105/205 cleaning on it maybe next week and see where it goes from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO polishing by hand is hit or miss depending on your surface. The more aggressive the polish, the more miss it becomes. What WG polish did you use ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    IMHO polishing by hand is hit or miss depending on your surface. The more aggressive the polish, the more miss it becomes. What WG polish did you use ?
    Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer .

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, I tried PPE for the first time this weekend. I found it a bit more tempermental than expected. VERY easy to use too much product, and there is a bit of work, and more breakdown time, needed than you might first think. This is a good thing, believe it or not. While very mild, it means that the abrasives in there are working.

My guess, if you don't mind me taking a leap based on limited info, is the problem lies with the foam applicator and perhaps just a bit too much product. If you give it another go, I'd try a MF applicator, and perhaps work in smaller sections, with moderate elbow grease and time, so the product can totally do its thing. You can also spritz your towel (or the surface) with your favorite QD as you wipe the residue. Tip...if the residue is stubborn, allow a bit more time before removing.

Hopefully that may help. If you do bring out the DA (I would strongly recommend NOT using 105/205 by hand on your soft paint), I'd try 205 first, to see if that helps correct everything. Good luck...
    -Jerry
    Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the perfect time to upgrade to a DA polisher!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my 2012 black Prius for a year now, a daily driver at close to 90 miles a day. At first I was just using the cheap MF towls at the autoparts store, it always looked good after my washing.

I read countless threads here and bought better towels, products and tested them all. I wash, clayed, polished and waxed. I know black is the hardest to keep inline and I do it all by hand.

But this sunday it was the worst. After washing, and claying the top hoods and deck I used WG Polish and paint cleaner. I did the 3 areas and followed the directions. All the work in shade at 65 degrees.

When I removed the polish, my engine hood is a F-ing mess, I got scratches i the same pattern that the polish was applied, my foam pad was very clean as always, and I wasnt using too little.

It went on very nice and smooth. The damage was so bad even my girfirend saw it in the sunlight and asked what the heck happened. The only spot that didnt weem to be affected was the one inch square that I tested with the towel to see if it was ready to take off.

This hood is just a mess now, it has always been a disaster and I cant figure it out. Most of the rest of the car seems okay, but I hate to look.

I do have a DA which I havent used yet.

It is a pisser to put 3 hours into a car and have it look like crap. I need to just to get this out of my system to those who understand. I look at it as the better the products I use, the worse my car looks.
    Working by hand takes a lot of time and effort and when your results are less than acceptable it's discouraging.

Current Situation

A possibility is that the polish may have dried. Once this occurs the lubricants that keep everything fluid are gone and you actually begin to scratch the finish.

You mention you used Wolfgang Polish and Paint Cleaner. I took a look at what Wolfgang has to offer and came up with these, do any sound familiar?

• Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0
    • Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0
    • Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Several of the Toyota's I've worked on have had very soft paint and just looking at them seems to leave scratches.....and, your car is black! I'm sure soft paint is a component here.

Dual Action Polishers

Consistency and uniformity are two huge attributes a dual action polisher brings to the game. I would definitely re-polish the hood using your dual action polisher.

• What are the exact name of the products you have?
    • What foam pads do you have on hand?

Here's some great information by Mike Phillips that will help you.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

If your car is non-metallic black 202 I feel your pain. I have a 2012 Tacoma that has incredibly soft black paint. On a positive note it is a piece of cake to correct with the right approach. It's a good thing too since it scratches in a stiff breeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast