autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dual Action Polisher: Wool Vs Microfiber?

Recently I used M105 with Optimum Microfiber Pads, but I want something more aggressive as 6 passes with that only achieved 85-90% correction.

I have a sample of some M101 on the way, so I will try that at a later time.

But in the meantime,

Is a wool pad or a microfiber pad for a DA more aggressive?

CarPro Cool Wool 5 Inch Polishing Pad

Optimum Microfiber Cutting Pad, compounding pad, microfiber disc
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dual Action Polisher: Wool Vs Microfiber?

With a traditional DA, MF is more agressive.
    With rotary, wool is more agressive.

Edit: Have not used the Carpro Wool Pad.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    With a traditional DA, MF is more agressive.
    With rotary, wool is more agressive.

Edit: Have not used the Carpro Wool Pad.
    yeah that's the curve ball because apparently the wool pad was designed for the DA...
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to get some to try out on my next order along with some 101

Selected member of Air Force One detailing team 2007, 2008, 2011 & 2017 IDA CD/SV Founders Club
    www.jimsauto.net Ipswich Ma 978 356 7372

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got info on the Optimum and Surbuf MF pads?
    I am searching for a cutting pad that is able to leave a LSP ready finish....

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with adding more 105 for lubricant and/or shrinking the work area down to accomplish this? Both will allow you to work an area longer.

TuscaroraDave made this suggestion to me with some rotary work I was doing and it worked flawlessly. Can't see why it wouldn't work for a DA as well.

2old2change has also suggested that M100 works well in his experience with a DA and adds more working time. You might try that.

Either way, for what Dave suggested to me, on the project I was working on...I went from a 2'x2' area to 10"x10". Not suggesting you to go that small, but play around with it, shrink your work area a bit and see what happens.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    What's wrong with adding more 105 for lubricant and/or shrinking the work area down to accomplish this? Both will allow you to work an area longer.

TuscaroraDave made this suggestion to me with some rotary work I was doing and it worked flawlessly. Can't see why it wouldn't work for a DA as well.

2old2change has also suggested that M100 works well in his experience with a DA and adds more working time. You might try that.

Either way, for what Dave suggested to me, on the project I was working on...I went from a 2'x2' area to 10"x10". Not suggesting you to go that small, but play around with it, shrink your work area a bit and see what happens.

My area is already shrunk down to a 6" by 6" area and M100 didn't provide enough cut. In fact, it was less cut than offered by M105 imo, albeit I only tried it a few times so I'm not a hundred percent convinced on that as it is quite possible that it was just my fault.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be afraid then to keep using 105, and add a few drops of M100, or a few drops of D300. I've heard of lots of guys having success by mixing. I know what the manufacturers say, but lots of people experiment and it certainly won't hurt any to do so. You might even be able to increase the amount of product and the work area at once. That's a win, win.

I'm just trying to think of alternatives for you.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

You must be using a 3inch pad to have a work area that small...J/K.

My work area was shrunk so small on that particular project because of extreme oxidation. Without getting liberal with product, shrinking the work area alone would not have worked.

Seriously though, 6"x6"? What size pad? You can't be using enough product in my estimation. M105 dries fast enough using foam. I've never tried it with micro-fiber, but if it's anything like it is on wool it's gone if you breathe wrong...depending on the paint.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    You must be using a 3inch pad to have a work area that small...J/K.

My work area was shrunk so small on that particular project because of extreme oxidation. Without getting liberal with product, shrinking the work area alone would not have worked.

Seriously though, 6"x6"? What size pad? You can't be using enough product in my estimation. M105 dries fast enough using foam. I've never tried it with micro-fiber, but if it's anything like it is on wool it's gone if you breathe wrong...depending on the paint.
    I'm chasing a single scratch in this one small area of my hood... I can't even manage to get the scratch in a picture, but it mocks me in the daylight!

And I appreciate all the alternatives and help you are offering. I am open to anything

I have some M101 coming in which I will try out, but I was wondering about the wool as a fail-safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast