autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot’s Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher 3rd gen or 2nd gen??

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    try out the cyan low profile hydro tech pads 3x of them
    as well as 3x tangerines (most love these)
    it's definitely fine to switch things up, just make sure you know what the colors mean as it can be a bit confusing at first especially when mix and matching lines
    with 12 pads you'll be pretty set however I don't know what pads you chose with your polisher
    hydrotechs imo are the best hands down for ease of use, versatile, simple, very good pads, however what was sacrificed for this was their life span (not extremely short, but do not last as long as a normal flat pad does) ime
    My first purchase I foolishly only purchased one of each of these besides Yellow
    Lake Country 5.5 Inch CCS Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

I'm just looking to make sure I buy what compliments them.

Since I wont be doing any heavy corrections at first ( just lighter stuff ) until I get better I will mostly be working with newer cars or cars with pretty good paint. minor swirls and scratches .. though Im sure I will run into some paint conditons that are worse off.

SO I just need to know what pads / colors would be best for me

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Unless you can find Megs pads locally I'd pass on whatever else they might have. (Although 3M's can be found sometimes, perhaps NAPA but they are REALLY EXPENSIVE.) Better bet to just order the LC's here.

Plan on the Nissan is fine. Just make sure to do your test spot as it is a diminishing product so you'll have an idea how long it works / how much product / how many section passes to get the results you need.

Willing to bet the MB and BMW would respond well to Menzerna. I've not used it yet but I have a plan. (No big secret that I'm a big Meg's fan.) I'm trying to get my neighbor to stop wiping down his X5 M Series with a darned old washrag and hardly any soap. Took him some ONR a couple of weeks ago hoping he'd start to see the light. Thought I'd offer to do his X5 if he will buy the Menzerna. (Figured I'd end up with 3~4 bottles of product outta' that deal.)
    That sounds like a good plan.. your neighbor gets a good looking detail ( that also will drive you less crazy and maybe he will start to look at detailing with a better prospective )

And you get some great Menzerna products.

Currently I have these to use w/ my D/A so looking for what color pads work best for them.

Menzerna Powerlock Sealant
    CG Blacklight
    XMT 360 AIO
    Meguiars Ultimate Compound
    Meguiars Ultimate Polish

Dodo Juice hard and soft waxes

and trying to decide between
    Bouncers Satsuma Rock
    or
    Pinnacle Signature Series II

SO I have a full size wax on hand..

Post Thanks / Like

With the pad combo I suggested you can ideally tackle anything, some harder paints will require more aggressiveness even though the defects may not be as severe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    With the pad combo I suggested you can ideally tackle anything, some harder paints will require more aggressiveness even though the defects may not be as severe

Cool, thats what I will go with then..

Just want sure If i need to add anything like a second white pad or second green or black pad

Thanks for looking out for your fellow forum members

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I could be of assistance
    I find with the 6x pad you'll find what pads cater to your needs
    Orange pads are typically very effective if the color aligns with bns pads

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again!

Order placed.. tangerine's and cyan coming in 3 each.. amongst other things.

Oh and couldn't fight the urge and I ordered a small pot of DODO Juice Purple Haze PRO since I already have the Blue velvet ( even though it the regular)

Gonna post a pic of my Arsenal this evening after my AG order arrives.. even though I have another one coming in either monday or tuesday..

Then my no orders for awhile .. straight to business

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
    Cool, thats what I will go with then..

Just want sure If i need to add anything like a second white pad or second green or black pad

Thanks for looking out for your fellow forum members
    You only got 1 of each in the first order? Hmmmm dunno bout dat.

FWIW My favorite pad is white, have over a dozen. Second fav is orange have I dunno, 10 of different sizes/types. Probably the same amount of yellow, just don't use them as much. I'm using the 5½"CCS greens (over the 6½'s) and will grab 6 of them next time as well. Honestly I need at least 3 more black and blue in one size or another with less than 6 of each. The one I don't have is gold, never been into jewelling and get the results from what I've used so far.

Figure next time there's a big pad sale I'll grab half a dozen hydrotechs in both cyan and tangerine FOR SURE along with those extra black n blues. Plus I really want to try some foam/mf pads for water spots. (I've got MF bonnet's but it's not the same.)

Thing is, the better the surface is, the softer the pad I/you need. When I bought my GG6 it was about the 5 cars I have sitting here and what they needed. As I get to them all... the level of 'correction' diminishes each time, calling for a softer pad next go around.
    Last edited by cardaddy; 01-25-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: edit text

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234