autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing aluminum exhaust... questions.

Hey guys,

A good friend of mine just got new exhaust for his race car. It is all 3+ inch aluminum but looks like crap. I did a test section with some mothers alum & mag polish with a small dremel buffing pad and it came out looking pretty fantastic. The car is pretty nice and this would really make it pop when showing off in the pits and in some of the pictures in the various photoshoots that he does with it.

My question is what I use on my PC7424? I've currently got a 3" and 5" backing pad, but I was thinking about getting a 6" back and some of the 6 or 7.5" wool buffing pads.

I've done a bunch of searching, but can't find too much on polishing alum exhaust. Any suggestions of help would be great.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing aluminum exhaust... questions.

Quote Originally Posted by D0ughB0y View Post
    Hey guys,

A good friend of mine just got new exhaust for his race car. It is all 3+ inch aluminum but looks like crap. I did a test section with some mothers alum & mag polish with a small dremel buffing pad and it came out looking pretty fantastic. The car is pretty nice and this would really make it pop when showing off in the pits and in some of the pictures in the various photoshoots that he does with it.

My question is what I use on my PC7424? I've currently got a 3" and 5" backing pad, but I was thinking about getting a 6" back and some of the 6 or 7.5" wool buffing pads.

I've done a bunch of searching, but can't find too much on polishing alum exhaust. Any suggestions of help would be great.

Thanks.
    You need a rotary to spin a 7" wool pad. A PC doesn't have the power.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum? Not stainless steel? What kind of car is this?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post a pick I use metal polish and 0000 steel wool on exhaust tips.

Post Thanks / Like

After re-reading what I wrote, I could have been a bit more clear. During the off-season a new turbo went on the car which required new 4 inch plumbing. We're only talking about 4ish feet of it and only a little bit of it shows unless people are really looking at the car or a well timed picture catches the car when he's launching.

Since the car is all apart, he wanted to try and make everything look as nice as possible because once it all goes back together it will be impossible to get at.

I don't have any current pics at the moment, but this is all brand new 4 inch tubes on a 89 LX mustang, 1150hp turbo street car(drag strip) that runs mid 8's, 1/4 mile.

The car itself is a garage/trailer queen that rarely sees any real driving outside of events and an occasional cruise or trip to the convenience store as a gag.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I did it. First thing was cleaning off tons of tape residue with a green scrub pad and some adhesive remover. Then I cleaned the whole thing with some green cleaner. Wiped it all down with some alcohol.

I used the stock pad that came with the buffer and put a microfiber bonnet on it. Liberally applied the mother's polish and worked it for a good amount of time.

The picture below shows the trasition from 95% complete on the far right side, to 75% done in the middle/right, to the original product on the left side. I think it turned out really well (for a part that is going to be barely visible).

Post Thanks / Like

I see now. You're talking about the intercooler piping in the engine bay area.

Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIS240SHU View Post
    I see now. You're talking about the intercooler piping in the engine bay area.

Nice job!
    Thanks.

Well, the pipe pictured is the actual exhaust. Just to the left of the picture is the muffler and dump'd tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good! I know how your friend feels, I recently polished my Aluminum Cold Air Intake while my engine is torn apart.

Just be sure to apply a metal sealant/protectant to keep it looking good. The first time I polished my intake it sat in my garage unprotected for a month and started to oxidize again. I repolished and applied Wolfgang Metal Sealant and it still looks like chrome .

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@Autogeek View Post
    Looking good! I know how your friend feels, I recently polished my Aluminum Cold Air Intake while my engine is torn apart.

Just be sure to apply a metal sealant/protectant to keep it looking good. The first time I polished my intake it sat in my garage unprotected for a month and started to oxidize again. I repolished and applied Wolfgang Metal Sealant and it still looks like chrome .
    Wow, yours looks perfect. Nicely done.

I think you started off with a little better product (this stuff was terrible & mandrel bent so it was almost impossible to get the bends to shine). I would have to sand it down to get perfect mirror.

What was the process you used?

Thanks for the feedback. I used some autoglym on it to finish it, but didn't have any true sealant. The car comes apart easy enough that if I need to, I can touch up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast