autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Detailing - What to do when all purpose cleaner straight doesn't cut it?

Hey guys, I was doing an engine detail (not on my car) a little while ago and I was using optimum power clean straight to try to tackle some serious black grime on the metal under the hood. Some of it came out, but after 3 applications, more than 80% remained. And I was scrubbing it with a stiff brush!

What would be the next step to getting rid of that grime?

I was thinking about trying Wheel Brightener, but don't know if that would stain the metal, as I'm pretty sure it's not painted.

Maybe metal polish?

Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Detailing - What to do when all purpose cleaner straight doesn't cut it?

bump since this thread has reached page 2
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Detailing - What to do when all purpose cleaner straight doesn't cut it?

Hard to say without seeing it. It seems you hit it with a strong enough cleaner if you're not diluting it, plus aggitating it with a brush. The only strong cleaner I've used in the past is Simple Green. You can check AG's list for other cleaners: Engine Cleaners & Degreasers,Clean engine,engine detailing products,engine degreaser,engine maintenance,how to clean engine,how to detail

I'd say if you can hit it with steam, that should do the trick, if it's that baked on after 3 applications + scrubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Theres a product from Mothers called Billet Metal Polish. Its hard to find OTC, at least at my store. Anyhow, this stuff is pretty strong, at $17.99 for a small little tub, it cleans and polishes metal quite well. I dont think it would stain your metal (as long as its bare metal, not painted).

Post Thanks / Like

ive used simple green and zep purple with great success...just dont get the zep purple on the paint...
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

just dont get the zep purple on the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Steam. Let full strength APC dwell, and then hit it with a steam cleaner.
    2009 e90 BMW 335i - Montego Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Water based products are simply not the correct product for heavy levels of oils/greases etc. They can do the job, up to a point, but you are using pretty strong caustic products to achieve it and you risk un-necessary corrosion. With this sort of application I always recommend solvent based products. By having the solvent base you negate the need for nasty ingredients because the oil is soluble in the solvent itself and you do not rely on chemical reactions to make it all work. The only problem is that the products are basically 100% active and not dilutable - so they are more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Megane View Post
    Water based products are simply not the correct product for heavy levels of oils/greases etc. They can do the job, up to a point, but you are using pretty strong caustic products to achieve it and you risk un-necessary corrosion. With this sort of application I always recommend solvent based products. By having the solvent base you negate the need for nasty ingredients because the oil is soluble in the solvent itself and you do not rely on chemical reactions to make it all work. The only problem is that the products are basically 100% active and not dilutable - so they are more expensive.
    Ok? So what product would you recommend?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

try super degreaser from megs or grime reaper from CG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast