autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious: Sealants vs quick exposure to moisture

It's raining outside and I got to thinking about some of the sealants that are available today.

Let's say that we applied a sealant inside of a garage, the sealant has enough time to flash, or we wipe it off after it's hazed. I assume because a product flash's doesn't mean it's cross-linked properly, I don't know.

1. How long would a person have to wait before allowing rain to contact the paint after using the following sealants?

A - DG 105
    B - DG 111
    C - DG ? (Any other DG sealants)
    D - XMT 360
    E - Optimimum Opti-seal
    F - UPGP
    G - Black Fire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant
    H - (Feel free to add to this list)

2. Also, how long do these sealants last compared to each other?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just curious: Sealants vs quick exposure to moisture

I used BFWD and WGPS, both require a cure time. I usually allow a minimum of 6 hours before exposing the car to moisture, rain, or dew.

I had a car that got rained on about 1 hour after application and it did affect the bond tremendously. It lost slickness very quickly and did not last as long.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Most waxes don't take too long to haze up so it can be wiped off. If it's hazed it can be wiped off and instantly you have maximum protection.

This is the one advantage I see using waxes over sealants during the winter months when often there's only a short window of opportunity for some folks to put paint protections on their auto's after cleaning. If you have a garage then it's not an issue with allowing sealants to cure indoors, overnight.

With something like Opti-seal, without knowing more information, a person could easily be left with the impression that once it flashes you're good to go. I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

It just seems that with some products it would be a pain in the backside, in certain situations, to have to wait on a curing period.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Most sealants need 6-8hrs to cure. I ran into a problem 2wks ago. I washed, Clay'ed and then applied DG601 followed by 105. About 10min after I removed the 105, it rained. I'm guessing even though I applied 601 before-hand, 105 didn't have enough time to cure.

Post Thanks / Like

I never worry about it for my vehicle because it gets topped or removed and reapplied before durability is ever an issue lol

Post Thanks / Like

Environment often plays the biggest part, I have seen no appreciable difference in sealants getting wet 3-4 hours after being applied. I do however live in sunny south florida.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    I never worry about it for my vehicle because it gets topped or removed and reapplied before durability is ever an issue lol
    Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my opening post, but I am refering to either a vehicle that hasn't been sealed in a long time, or one that had just been previously stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Environment often plays the biggest part, I have seen no appreciable difference in sealants getting wet 3-4 hours after being applied. I do however live in sunny south florida.
    I'm talking getting wet immediately (less than an hour) after applying the sealant with just enough time for it to flash, or just after you'd wiped it off.

For instance you're sealing the vehicle outside and an unexpected rain happens. Obviously, if a few days later you had better weather a person could reapply the sealant, but this time of year if it stays cold outside then you're waiting until spring.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're saying, don't over complicate detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're saying, don't over complicate detailing

I'm not over complicating it. I was asking because I need to know. I may need to make other arrangements to find a garage somewhere. I shouldn't have to explain it any further than that. I raised the question as a hypothetical, but it is indeed a real situation for me. People either have a legitimate answer for me, or they do not.
    Last edited by Hoytman; 12-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I used two samples I had today on a hood. Opti-seal on half, and a sample of the Blackfire poduct shown in the photo below.

Either these samples will last even after being exposed to moisture shortly after applying. Obviously, I'll find out on my own, but was hoping that someone might have a clue of what I should expect given the situation which would then tell me if I need to make arrangements to get the vehicle back inside. I was hoping to not have to touch it with another sealant until spring if I can get by with it.

By the way, there is a distinct line left down the middle of the hood after applying the BF. It seemed to darken and deepen the black paint and had a more noticeable slick feel than the Opt-seal (not new version) did.
    Bill