autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

RO/DI Water Tank Setup

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some advice on setting up a water tank reservoir feeding a pressure washer.

I've recently moved about 3 months ago and the water here is very hard. Owning a black car doesn't help and to make matters worse, I live in one of the hottest areas in the country, Palm Springs Ca.

The water here drys out in no time and the hardness level makes it worse. I get water spots real fast. So....my only means of solving this situation is to use deionized water or reverse osmosis water.

I already have an RO/DI filter that can make RO water @ 3 TDS and DI @ 0 TDS. I am planning on buying a 50 gallon water drum to sit in my garage with an auto top off and fill this with DI water from my RO/DI filter.

My question is...what route should I take? I have researched this and it seems I have 2 options.

1. Buy a sureflo pump and connect that between my water tank and pressure washer to provide the pressure to my cheap green works electric pressure washer.

2. Buy a Kranzle or Karcher which have the self-priming pumps and connect that to my water tank?

The cheapest option appears to be buying the sureflo 12 volt pump but seems like a hassle to have to connect it to a 12 volt source.

The best option, IMO, would be to buy a self priming pressure washer. I was going to buy the Kranzle (either the 1600 or the K1120T) but I have heard mixed reviews about this PW. It seems people are having problems with the ceramic plungers wasting away. I dont know if its user error or a manufacturing defect. I dont want to spent 900+ and have problems with it later.

I recently read Karcher PW all use self priming pumps. This option would be cheaper than a Kranzle but I hear they break a lot. I was looking at the K5 which is 289 bucks.

Just want to know what people are using and if anyone has used the Kranzle hooked up to a reservoir tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RO/DI Water Tank Setup

Is this a good pump to use? I dont want to deal with a 12 volt. Thanks.

Shurflo Pump - 115 Volt on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Post Thanks / Like

Also, is a 35 gallon water drum enough to wash 1-2 cars? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Fishnugget -
    I'm actually getting ready to conduct a few test regarding something very similar to what you have asked here. I'm going to use gravity as my friend (hopefully) to feed directly into my PW. Since it was a bit cold for me to get out to my shed today I'll have to put this experiment on hold for a few days. I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck on your venture here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you going to try using a drum and skip out on the shure flo pump? Interested in your results cause if i can bypass the pump that would be better.

I think you might be able to pull it off initially but after the tank empties the pressure will decrease and it will be harder to start the pw. Good luck, interested in your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, basically I will fill the 55 gallon plastic barrel with DI filtered water and connect the hose directly to that barrel. This will only work if there is enough force coming out for the PW. I used these barrels for collecting rain a while back so I know they can deliver some pressure to the hoses I used for that process. But yes you are correct, as the barrels empty the force will decrease. This is where a lot of experimenting will come into play as I don't want to burn our the motor in the PW. It'll be fun to see what happens. Cheers mate!

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to know how this turns out . trying to figure away to make a mobile sit up and do a spotless rinse

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to buy the drum today but I am not sure if 35 gallons is enough to do a full wash for one car, can anyone confirm.

I guess the best thing to do is hook it up to my cheap green works pressure washer and see if it will work. If not then buy either the shure-flo pump or a Kranzle/Karcher PW.

Post Thanks / Like

35 gallons is enough to do one car maybe 3 or more depends on how dirty it is .

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 125 gallon tank and it feeds my pressure cleaner by gravity. I use a 3800 psi pressure cleaner with it and i have had no problems. Have cleaned about 6-7 cars with it, but it also depends on size of vehicle and how dirty they are too

Sent from my HTC PH39100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast