autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you approach someone about detailing when you see a beautiful, yet neglected vehicle?

I've got a neighbor who has a very nice looking Mustang Cobra... from a distance that is. Upon inspection it is COVERED in swirls, scratches, RIDS, you name it.

One day, as I was giving this Porsche it's final inspection in the sunlight, he was outside and stopped to take a look at the car. He mentioned to me that he was too worried to ever have his car buffed because he didn't want it to be damaged or swirled. He then went on to say that he thought he needed to clay bar the car in order to clean it up for Winter... Now I bit my tongue as I don't like to be the guy to give speeches or lectures about proper vehicle maintenance, but yesterday I about hit my limit when it comes to keeping my mouth shut.

I noticed a large bird bomb on one of the fenders, so I walked over to take a look at the car and found about 10 piles of bird poop scattered all over the car! A little bit of me died inside. He rarely drives the car, so it just sits outside with little to no protection.

Any advice on how to suggest that he needs some (A LOT!) detailing without offending anyone? He's doesn't have the most understanding personality and I'm afraid that explaining to him that his car is trashed, but that I could help to restore it, would only anger him.

I guess I could always just move? haha!

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you approach someone about detailing when you see a beautiful, yet neglected vehicle?

I dont bother with it... too much time and effort to approach random people and "educate" them because we all know the majority don't give a rat's ass about proper and improper ways of washing a car.

Plus most of those people will never shell out enough money to make it worth your time. I remember when I was starting with this stuff, I did a full paint correction on an Infiniti QX56 (which is a tank).....for $100 total for the whole detail. It was then that I decided I am never doing that again unless theres enough money on the table to pay for my time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you approach someone about detailing when you see a beautiful, yet neglected vehicle?

If he cared at all about his car, he would approach you!

Post Thanks / Like

Next time he is over admiring your work, just tell him that you could make his Mustang look as good as the car you are currently working on. Leave it at that to see what his reaction/response is.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yea i find it really hard to convince certain people that think when they take their car to get serviced at the dealer it gets a "detail" lol
    they put swirls in it and more.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't bother. I found that most people that care about their car will approach you in person or by phone or website. Those who don't care are almost impossible to convert. Some people just don't care. He'll try to nickle and dime you to death even if you do convince him. People who trash their cars are almost always the most picky and annoying as well. I wish I could figure out why this is!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a recent inquiry from a guy that "used to be a detailer". He wanted to know if I used a "14 pound buffer" and if the compound I used could be felt between my fingers because that is what he wanted. He also told me how much how much it should cost. I just referred him to someone else. This type of person is more headache than it's worth.

More on topic. I usually start to explain the process and why I/they shouldn't or should do/use certain things and get a feel if they are interested or even care. I can almost tell right away if I'll be wasting my breath or not and if I should continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g26er View Post
    I had a recent inquiry from a guy that "used to be a detailer". He wanted to know if I used a "14 pound buffer" and if the compound I used could be felt between my fingers because that is what he wanted. He also told me how much how much it should cost. I just referred him to someone else. This type of person is more headache than it's worth.

More on topic. I usually start to explain the process and why I/they shouldn't or should do/use certain things and get a feel if they are interested or even care. I can almost tell right away if I'll be wasting my breath or not and if I should continue.

I use an 84 lb buffer and sand for compound. I really like to feel it between my fingers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't bother either. Detailing correctly is a lot of work, more work thank at people are willing to do. Sometimes people as me "what do you do to your cars? What wax do you use?" If anyone was really interested in doing the process and learning it correctly, I would be glad to help. Most of the time they either want to do it, or want to know what they can pour put of a bottle to "fix it all".

I gave a bottle of UWW+ (already diluted) to a guy I work with who bought a new VW, because he was washing it with spray wax. I asked how how he liked it, and he says he's still using spray wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    I use an 84 lb buffer and sand for compound. I really like to feel it between my fingers.
    That's real funny!!!! A most likely he will want the car finished with some good ol' Rally cream wax!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast