autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing adhesive

Ok, most of the car is done. Still need to get better at removing waterspots, but I'll leave that until spring. Next dilemma: I removed the plastic window overhangs (what do you call these) because they were looking bad and made too much noise. They had some clips which I removed, but they were all fastened with an adhesive of some sort:

I have tried using a razor blade and I have used some goo gone. This worked a bit, but was a pain so I stopped and just left it (it's been almost a year). Now that I have dove into the detailing world, surely there is a better way which all you wise men can tell me??!

Other than that, the car is looking much better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing adhesive

Klean-strip Prep All
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Those plastic pieces are call Vent Guards and there held with 3m tape. There purpose is that you can open your window in the rain and let the fresh air in. Are u using the goo gone made for automotive? It takes a really long time to get it all off. Or you can look up the pieces for your make and model and get some new ones. EBay is your best bet I had to replace mine and it was around $20 free shipping..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online
    Conrad 2007 Malibu LT
    2004 XJ8 Jaguar 2001 C 320 Mercedes Benz
    1996 Lexus GS 300

Post Thanks / Like
    Goo gone works great. Just be sure to wipe off quick and don't let run. A little at a time and re seal or wax area after its all complete. I have used it on tree sapped cars and suv's also. some coated heavier than others but the outcome the same .....good.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Tarminator worked best for me. And I tried goo gone, 3m adhesive remover, lacquer thiner, acetone, etc.
    Another one that works great is goof off.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Mike Phillips

This works pretty good too and also works GREAT for cleaning and polishing brushed stainless steel...

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

Xenit is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

Xenit contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials. This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. Xenit removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.

10 oz. aerosol.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for the recs. I think I'll try the xenit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Tarminator and 3M Adhesive Remover with a plastic razor blade. Spray it on and let it set about 10 to 15 seconds and it should come off. Sometimes it takes more than one application. Never treid the XENIT, but if Mike says it works I would probably try it first. I will order some with my next order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast