autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tool, Pad & Product Suggestions Wanted

Hello, my name is Michael Lewis.
    I have spent hours and hours looking at this site, and to be honest I just do not know where to start.

My wife is asking what I would like for my birthday and Christmas

We have
    2012 Nissan Armada that is Lakeshore Slate
    2013 Acura RDX that is White Diamond Pearl

I would like recommendations on products for my two cars. I would prefer to use the same products on both vehicles.

Clay, sealants, waxes, DA polishers and the appropriate accessories.

I have attached pictures of the vehicles

If I am missing anything please let me know.

Thank you in advanced for your time
    Michael Lewis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool, Pad & Product Suggestions Wanted-jens-armada-jpg   Tool, Pad & Product Suggestions Wanted-rdx-1-jpg   Tool, Pad & Product Suggestions Wanted-rdx-2-jpg  
    Last edited by lewis1585; 11-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tool, Pad & Product Suggestions Wanted

Just a reminder, even though most folks here are top notch good citizens, never wise to openly post your phone number like that on the internet!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

How long do you plan on keeping the vehicles?? Do you notice and scratches or swirls on either one yet?? Looking at the pictures the paint looks pretty clean...but from a distance it's hard to tell...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    How long do you plan on keeping the vehicles?? Do you notice and scratches or swirls on either one yet?? Looking at the pictures the paint looks pretty clean...but from a distance it's hard to tell...
    Dave, The Acura is on lease, so 3 years. We will keep the Armada till it dies.

The Acura only has 1500 miles and the paint is as good as can be expecetd from the dealer.

The Armada has 20,000 miles and it has some small scratches, swirls, and nicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike's video's are the best place to start...Machines, pads, and product...well everyone has their opinion. I like the Optimum line.

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick up a Griot's Garage polisher, and the lake country ccs pads that are on sale here to start. I have 2orange, 2white, 1green, and 1red from my last purchase here. Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

Then grab pretty much any compound and polish, Meguiars m105 and m205 are excellent products I have used. They are pretty simple to use, and not very expensive.

Then pretty much any wax will work. I like Meguiars ultimate liquid wax for ease of use and pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help guys.

What is your opinion on Collinite 845?

Mike Phillips

Hi Michael,

Good to see that you started a "dedicated thread" with a title that will get you more help than,

Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

The Griot's DA Polisher is a very powerful DA Polisher, a few years ago I called it a safe version of a rotary buffer because for the most part you cannot get the pad to stop rotating and that's the difference between a DA Polisher that uses a Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly and a Direct Gear Driven Rotary Buffer.

Point being, it has a lot of power but it's still very safe even for a beginner.

It also has more than enough power to rotate 6.5" pads of any design under pressure. The more you read on this forum the more you'll come to understand what this topic is all about.

Because your "new" cars have a lot of thin panels, that is section of paint between either body lines or body seams, having some 4" pads and a 3.5" backing plate is something to consider adding to your collection at least at some point.

See here...

1994 Porsche Detailed for "Operation Comfort" Modeled by Brittany from Stuart, Florida

This is a 4" pad and you can see how it's fitting between the taped-off rubber windshield gasket and the seam between the hood on this Porsche...

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover

Just something to consider down the road...

Also, the Wolfgang Twins are very good at removing swirls and maximizing gloss and clarity while perfectly preparing your paint for a wax, paint sealant or coating as you can see by these results...

And keep in mind I have a lot of articles on all aspects of using a DA Polisher, most are under the DA Polisher Section but there's tucked away all over the place on my article list, it's really worth a scan....

Articles by Mike Phillips

And my how-to book is the ONLY book on the market focused specifically on DA Polishers as well as ALL aspects of prepping and then maintaining your car's finish after the DA Steps.

Paperback

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Michael,

Good to see that you started a "dedicated thread" with a title that will get you more help than,

Hello from Indianapolis Indiana

The Griot's DA Polisher is a very powerful DA Polisher, a few years ago I called it a safe version of a rotary buffer because for the most part you cannot get the pad to stop rotating and that's the difference between a DA Polisher that uses a Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly and a Direct Gear Driven Rotary Buffer.

Point being, it has a lot of power but it's still very safe even for a beginner.

It also has more than enough power to rotate 6.5" pads of any design under pressure. The more you read on this forum the more you'll come to understand what this topic is all about.

Because your "new" cars have a lot of thin panels, that is section of paint between either body lines or body seams, having some 4" pads and a 3.5" backing plate is something to consider adding to your collection at least at some point.

See here...

1994 Porsche Detailed for "Operation Comfort" Modeled by Brittany from Stuart, Florida

This is a 4" pad and you can see how it's fitting between the taped-off rubber windshield gasket and the seam between the hood on this Porsche...

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover

Just something to consider down the road...

Also, the Wolfgang Twins are very good at removing swirls and maximizing gloss and clarity while perfectly preparing your paint for a wax, paint sealant or coating as you can see by these results...

And keep in mind I have a lot of articles on all aspects of using a DA Polisher, most are under the DA Polisher Section but there's tucked away all over the place on my article list, it's really worth a scan....

Articles by Mike Phillips

And my how-to book is the ONLY book on the market focused specifically on DA Polishers as well as ALL aspects of prepping and then maintaining your car's finish after the DA Steps.

Paperback

Mike, Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast